Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue shortening advive

Hi all

I would appreciate some advice about having my snooker cue shortened. I'm currently using a 58" Peradon prince, so
    nothing special as far as cues go.

The trouble is, I'm 5ft 4" and I realised pretty quickly that the cue is too long for me. I've noticed when playing shots from the cushion(and in general, but noticeable when playing from the cushion) that I'm holding the cue too far down the butt. This also makes it feel like the tip wants to lift and it's just a battle to keep the tip down when playing from the cushion.
    I've done a little experiment with an off cut of copper pipe left in the shed (lol) and it feels like a cue lenght of 55.5" would be a good size cue for me. Plenty of cue for power shots and the right lenght for me to hold the cue at the end,which I feel gives me more control in general.

So can this be done? If so, any recommendations as to where to have the work done? I'm aware that Robert osborne is in Tooting ,Which is very close to me.

I would also like to keep the same tip size of 9.5mm, the cue is a bit on the light side as well, prob around the 17oz mark, would like to get it up to 19oz.

I understand that a 55.5" cue is very short for snooker and could lead to problems regarding reach ect, but I find I use the rest a fair bit anyway being 5ft 4". I also play pool in the Tolworth leauge so a cue of that size would be perfect for pool.

Thank you for any advice or help you can offer.
    Last edited by Eddie41085; 27 January 2014, 11:57 PM.

Originally Posted by Eddie41085 View Post
    Hi all

I would appreciate some advice about having my snooker cue shortened. I'm currently using a 58" Peradon prince, so

The trouble is, I'm 5ft 4" and I realised pretty quickly that the cue is to long for me. I've noticed when playing shots from the cushion(and in general, but noticeable when playing from the cushion) that I'm holding the cue too far down the butt. This also makes it feel like the tip wants to lift and it's just a battle to keep the tip down when playing from the cushion.
    I've done a little experiment with an off cut of copper pipe left in the shed (lol) and it feels like a cue lenght of 55.5" would be a good size cue for me. Plenty of cue for power shots and the right lenght for me to hold the cue at the end,which I feel gives me more control in general.

So can this be done? If so, any recommendations as to where to have the work done? I'm aware that Robert osbourne is in Tooting ,Which is very close to me.

I would also like to keep the same tip size of 9.5mm, the cue is a bit on the light side as well, prob around the 17oz mark, would like to get it up to 19oz.

I understand that a 55.5" cue is very short for snooker and could lead to problems regarding reach ect, but I find I use the rest a fair bit anyway being 5ft 4". I also play pool in the Tolworth leauge so a cue of that size would be perfect for pool.

Bear in mind that the cue may just feel light not because of the weight, but because of the balance point.

Like you say, when under a cushion and you move your hand forward on the cue, the tip wants to lift.

Getting it shortened should result in you holding the cue nearer the end of the butt, and should make it feel heavier / tip heavy .

Maybe no need to add weight. maybe . . .
    Last edited by billabong; 27 January 2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

You want to shorten the cue which normally means having a section removed from the tip end. You would then have to have the shaft re-tapered to allow a 9.5mm tip and then have the cue made heavier.

Check out this site:-

http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/cue_repair/cue_repairs.htm

Looks like it's going to cost you £50.

Comment

Yes it certainly can be done but your cue will probably feel very different, with reducing size and adding weight it will feel like a totally different cue which may feel better or even worst than before. There's quite a few chaps on here I'd recommend if you don't mind posting, I've experience with Crispian Jones who done a very good job alternating my current cue, though it might be easier for you just to use Robert if he carries out alterations...
        Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

if you tinker with that cue its gonna get too complicated and expensive. messing around with .5oz is okay and don't change the balance point that much but when you wanna add 1 or 2oz to a cue then not only are you changing the cue completely but you've got to start carving into it.
          i look into getting a new cue at 57"

Comment

Originally Posted by Eddie41085 View Post
            Hi all

The trouble is, I'm 5ft 4" and I realised pretty quickly that the cue is to long for me. I've noticed when playing shots from the cushion(and in general, but noticeable when playing from the cushion) that I'm holding the cue too far down the butt. This also makes it feel like the tip wants to lift and it's just a battle to keep the tip down when playing from the cushion.

So can this be done? If so, any recommendations as to where to have the work done? I'm aware that Robert osbourne is in Tooting ,Which is very close to me.

Depending how long your going to have off i'd say don't do it, i had the holy grail years ago and could pot off the lampshades it just felt right then i snapped the ferule and tip had to have 2 inches taken off and re-planed and it felt crap, never played the same again...good job it ended up being nicked

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
              You want to shorten the cue which normally means having a section removed from the tip end. You would then have to have the shaft re-tapered to allow a 9.5mm tip and then have the cue made heavier.

Check out this site:-

http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/cue_repair/cue_repairs.htm

Looks like it's going to cost you £50.
              That's a great website, i especially like this section(http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/model_des...st_for_fun.htm) the tables look nice...
              Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Few factors to consider Eddie

How much did the cue cost , against how much to alter it ?

As already mentioned , it probably won't play like it does now .

So , if you go down the new cue route , there are a few good cue makers on here that could make you a cue at a reasonable price .

But would suggest that 55.5 seems a little short , so maybe 56 would be better .

I see that you play Pool in a League in Tolworth , do you play League Snooker ?
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

another thought, iv cut into a peradon cue and found they used led, so, that could be drilled out. if yours has led in there. go and see robert in tooting, iv worked with him, but again it won't be cheep.
                  the cue will change and you might waist time and money only to find yourself buying a new one.
                  there is also john parris on the other side of streatham. he's got plenty of cue to have a hit with.

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                    That's a great website, i especially like this section(http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/model_des...st_for_fun.htm) the tables look nice...
                    LOL. It took me a while to notice the tables. You mucky pup

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                      Few factors to consider Eddie

How much did the cue cost , against how much to alter it ?

As already mentioned , it probably won't play like it does now .

So , if you go down the new cue route , there are a few good cue makers on here that could make you a cue at a reasonable price .

But would suggest that 55.5 seems a little short , so maybe 56 would be better .

I see that you play Pool in a League in Tolworth , do you play League Snooker ?
                      Alright Neil

The cue only cost £150, so not expensive in terms of cues. Its a nice enough cue, but I've just got it in my head now that every time I play with it, my focus is on the cue and not on the game or shot like it should be. If that makes sense!

I just feel if I could have a cue im comfortable with, It would maybe help me progress with my game a bit.

No I dont play in league snooker. I would like to be part of a team, give me snooker over pool anyday!I love the game but my standard of snooker ain't good enough to be in a team I feel. Always breaking down on 20s. Oh well, is what it is!

Spoke to you on here before Neil! think we live in the same area.took your advice and joined up at Frames. lovely club! we've probaly crossed paths at some point. I still use the Royal Surrey now and again. If only they brushed their tables once a year it would'nt be too shabby!

What's the standard of league Snooker like in general?

Cheers
                      Last edited by Eddie41085; 27 January 2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Premier League is getting a bit hot Eddie , but you can certainly get a good game in Divs 1 & 2 .

We now have our own website : www.epsomsnookerleague.co.uk

Glad you joined Frames , who do you play down there ? You should have a go in the Handicap comp on a Thursday night ......good fun and great match practice .

It was mad busy the other night . All 16 tables being used and all 8 or 10 [ can't remember ] Pool tables being used as well !

Played a match at Royal Surrey 2 weeks ago . They have slightly changed the club , think the new owner is getting the tables looked after a bit better i believe . But still not a patch on Frames .
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                          Premier League is getting a bit hot Eddie , but you can certainly get a good game in Divs 1 & 2 .

We now have our own website : www.epsomsnookerleague.co.uk

Glad you joined Frames , who do you play down there ? You should have a go in the Handicap comp on a Thursday night ......good fun and great match practice .

It was mad busy the other night . All 16 tables being used and all 8 or 10 [ can't remember ] Pool tables being used as well !

Played a match at Royal Surrey 2 weeks ago . They have slightly changed the club , think the new owner is getting the tables looked after a bit better i believe . But still not a patch on Frames .
                          Cheers for the link Neil, I'll take a look at that. I play with one of the lads from the pool team, he's snooker mad as well! yeah they have changed it up down the Royal Surrey, they had to Neil! you couldn't justify £25 a year membership & £7 per hour for snooker, when the tables wasn't even being looked after! Not when you can go to a club like Frames, join for £15 a year and play on the sort of tables they have down there.

It has improved though.Membership's £5 a year now and table rates are £6 per hour. couple of pool tables brought in and a dart board. can't say the tables are getting brushed regulary though. I was in there the other week an some fella had the cheek to turn on one of those little car hoovers and start hoovering the table lol. He was quickly told to turn it off!

Gotta laugh

Comment

snooker left the royal surrey a long time ago early 90's. players came over to tolworth when that opened, and that was a good club at one point. but lovely club when it opened trsurrey

Comment

Working...
                            X