the taper of a cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by dave121260 View Post
    Do you think if I made the taper of the cue slimmer it would react better?
    Yes

The way I was thinking is the more solid a cue is (thickness) the less response you would get and vice verser.
    Yes

Right correct me if I'm wrong when u strike a cue ball a cue will bend to take the power that you have put into the strike so if you have a fairly thick cue the stiffer it would be thus resulting in a less responsive way.
    And there's the hat-trick... Yes
    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
      Yes

Yes

And there's the hat-trick... Yes

Lmao cheers mike so you think I should get it re-tapered then
      Last edited by dave121260; 15 March 2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Have you gave sum one els a shot of your cue to see if they find it the way you do Dave ?

Comment

A pool team mate of mine has a Peradon cue which for some time he described the shaft as "chunky" and from observation the shaft was straight taper.
          I arranged for the cue to be sent to Andy Travis for the taper to be trimmed down in the bridging+ area of the shaft.
          My mate has loved the cue every since, no longer feeling chunky and feels more responsive on shots.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Removal man stevie View Post
            Have you gave sum one els a shot of your cue to see if they find it the way you do Dave ?
            No not yet m8

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              A pool team mate of mine has a Peradon cue which for some time he described the shaft as "chunky" and from observation the shaft was straight taper.
              I arranged for the cue to be sent to Andy Travis for the taper to be trimmed down in the bridging+ area of the shaft.
              My mate has loved the cue every since, no longer feeling chunky and feels more responsive on shots.
              Cheers dean I think I'm going to go the same way and going to get it re-tapered otherwise it will always be in the back of my mind. The question is now do I fit one of mikes black spin ferrule's hmmm decisions decisions

Comment

I think only MW will fit the BlackSpin as it is not a ferrule - i.e. a ring, but has a core that goes into the shaft.

Comment

No not yet m8
                  i'm sure you don't really wanna be diggin into your cue taper if you got a top brand, but the cues that iv worked on, iv found taking a bit out of the top/bridge hand part of the cue, say the last 20-30cm will resonate down the cue, and you just may find a more lively white

Comment

Wen you get a cue tapered does the cue maker have to remove the Ferrell ?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                      i'm sure you don't really wanna be diggin into your cue taper if you got a top brand, but the cues that iv worked on, iv found taking a bit out of the top/bridge hand part of the cue, say the last 20-30cm will resonate down the cue, and you just may find a more lively white
                      Would this affect the tip size? What happens to weight and balance? I've got a cue which I'm mostly happy with but just feel that the bridge hand area is just a bit too thick. Thought about having it thinned down a bit but worried in case I spoil the cue.
                      Last edited by Bigmeek; 16 March 2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

you could do it yourself if your up to it! but maybe better to give it to someone who knows what their doing and what you want..
                        this is my cue, and the ferrule is 9.3, then at 10cm its 10mm, 20-11.5, then 30 is 13mm. but its seeing, feeling and checking the vibe of the cue itself. as any good cue crafts man will tell you 'its all about the wood'
                        http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/j6uk/story/88703
                        Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                        Would this affect the tip size? What happens to weight and balance? I've got a cue which I'm mostly happy with but just feel that the bridge Gand area is just a bit too thick. Thought about having it thinned down a bit but worried in case I spoil the cue.

Comment

the taper of a cue

my mates cue was reduced from 9.5mm ferrule to 9mm as he plays pool mostly.
                          With the taper reduction obviously the weight and balance will change but, I would hazard a guess, by only a small amount. (details not noted at the time)
                          All I will say is my friend loves the cue now after the reduction.
                          A ferrule change is not necessarily required to reduce a taper.

Comment

i can only see the resonance change for the better

Comment

Working...
                            X