un-blackening the grain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• un-blackening the grain?

okay so we know about the differing ways to blacken the grain but what about taking the black out to leave a clear finish, any ideas?

Apart from sanding out because its filled the grain dont know,i know you can get most anything off with thinners but ive only cleaned cues not tried to take the filler out.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      okay so we know about the differing ways to blacken the grain but what about taking the black out to leave a clear finish, any ideas?
      Fine wire brush like those you can buy for cleaning suede shoes.

Comment

un-blackening the grain?

I asked this some years ago, well slight different, is it possible to make an ash cue with no coloured filler so the ash looks very pale.
        anyone?
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          I asked this some years ago, well slight different, is it possible to make an ash cue with no coloured filler so the ash looks very pale.
          anyone?
          Dean, you could just use natural coloured filler. Rustins Grain Filler is pretty much ash coloured if you don't add any dye. I suppose you could sand out black filler and replace with natural although not sure why anyone would want to. Just go with maple eh?!

Comment

Okay. Stupid question time. Why do cue makers need filler. Surely if you sand down wood it becomes perfectly smooth. Or does it?

Comment

Originally Posted by bradwight View Post
              anyone?
              Dean, you could just use natural coloured filler. Rustins Grain Filler is pretty much ash coloured if you don't add any dye. I suppose you could sand out black filler and replace with natural although not sure why anyone would want to. Just go with maple eh?!
              my original question was for a new build
              but the modern trend is for coloured grain
              thanks for the info

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                Okay. Stupid question time. Why do cue makers need filler. Surely if you sand down wood it becomes perfectly smooth. Or does it?
                from what I have learnt is that wood needs a filler to achieve a smooth finish as the grain is generally harder than the body-wood

Comment

Some woods have hollow grains and they need to be filled to get a flush finish. Ash and oak have very wide, open grain and it's normally quite obvious when the filler has worn away.

Comment

Not sure if you could use a course wire wool to pull the old filler out then refill with a natural colour filler

Comment

from what I have learnt is that wood needs a filler to achieve a smooth finish as the grain is generally harder than the body-wood
                      Ash needs to be grain filled because the grain is wide unlike maple where the grain is very close and doesn't require filling. Imagine the grooves on decking and think of ash grain being like that, those grooves need filling to create a smooth surface

Comment

anyone?
                        Yes, you can use a natural light coloured filler or you can create a slurry by sanding with oil using the slurry made to fill the grain

Comment

Depends on the wood, open grained wood like ash needs to be filled, you can't just sand it smooth, maple and pear don't need to be filled as they're close grain woods

Comment

Thanks guys. I understand it now.

Comment

There was me made hundreds of cues from the eighties and only recently heard that I was supposed to use grain filler on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X