9mm v 9.5mm which tip size is better for snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9mm v 9.5mm which tip size is better for snooker

Which tip size is more suitable for snooker and why?

Originally Posted by mr_rules View Post
    There is only one factor i can think and that is 9mm is less surface area so you have to be a tad more accurate when playing, i know it's only half a mm but it does make a little difference.

Anything from 9-10 is the standard i use a 9.5 as i feel 10 is too big

Comment

The best tip size for snooker has been proven to be 9.7mm, this gives you maximum contact and maximum reaction, smaller will give you more reaction, but less accuracy. Though it also depends on your skill level... I like Luke above find the high 9's/10mm spec too big.
      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

to me 9.5, 9.6, 9.7 is good )

Comment

depends a lot on the types of table you play on too. A nice fast responsive cloth then a bigger tip is a lot easier to generate the necessary spin whilst retaining more accuracy. However if you play on slower cloths and its a struggle to generate spin then many players tend to go for a smaller tip but sacrifices accuracy over middle and long distance shots because of the difficulty in striking centre ball.

Comment

Mythbusting

Here is a little science for you to better understand the actual physics of tip size and shape.
            It's not how many think it is

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/cue_tip.html

Comment

Originally Posted by mr_rules View Post
              As I've got a bit older my eyes are not as good. I played with 8.7mm for years until two years ago. I now play with a 9.3. Which has made difference in my cueing and lining shots up with tip on ball. I also play with a 9.5 it's improved my cueing no end.
              Always a pleasure

Comment

I've always considered it to be down to personal preference. I play pool rather than snooker and most guys use a tip between 8 and 9.5 mm but then you get weirdos like me who play better with a tiny tip. I've got an old Joe Davis maple one price, 16oz with a 6.5mm tip. I find it forces me to concentrate on every single shot which makes sure I'm cueing the cue ball in the right place, I get carried away with a big tip and end up running out of position or missing tap ins due to a lack of concentration. Each to their own I suppose, only way to find out what's best for you is to experiment I reckon!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                  depends a lot on the types of table you play on too. A nice fast responsive cloth then a bigger tip is a lot easier to generate the necessary spin whilst retaining more accuracy. However if you play on slower cloths and its a struggle to generate spin then many players tend to go for a smaller tip but sacrifices accuracy over middle and long distance shots because of the difficulty in striking centre ball.
                  Well explained.
                  mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...2Fcue_tip.html

Well, this entire website is crazy!
                    mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

I agree with you, I used 8.8 - 9mm for many years but recently changed to a 9.5mm cue.
                      Accuracy has improved and long shots also but a bit of sacrifice in terms of side and deep screw... still getting used to it I suppose.

Comment

Originally Posted by Raldon View Post
                        http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...2Fcue_tip.html

Well, this entire website is crazy!
                        I agree, bookmarked it!

I could watch all the links to videos for ages and still not be halfway through at all, not to mention the other areas of the site and what an awesome Website for Cue Sport players with many different games covered.
                        If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

There is no answer other than to try both and see. There are pros on 8.7 and some on nearly 10. If you can hit centre ball well, a small tip can be great for power and accuracy. If you're slightly off centre and hit unwanted side, a long ball can be easily missed with a small tip. Experiment and let us know what you find.

Comment

Working...
                          X