Mike Woolridge cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Woolridge cues

Hi people after a bit of advice or feedback about Mike Woolridge's cues. I'm thinking of getting one and they are pretty expensive so I want to make sure I would be getting a great cue before I part with my money and then try to hide the cost from the mrs.
    His blackspin tip and ferrule system look intriguing as does his F1 joint system. I understand the blackspin tip is a redevelopment of a MW supertip with a red disc added between tip and black ferrule. Anyone here own or have used a Woolridge cue. What is it like playing with a black ferrule? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers

You might be able to find more information on the blackspin Ferrule thread. Many people have gone for the modification to positive results.

Comment

the BlackSpin is not just a "black ferrule"
      see http://www.handmadecues.com/2-Cues/41-blackspin.htm
      It is not a ferrule, i.e. a ring around the end of a shaft, but has a integrate part that goes into the shaft.
      then you can have the red disc (cant remember what MW calls it) and then a MW tip, or any you like really.
      many have said good things about the BlackSpin and MW's tips.
      the F1 joint do look cool though
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I've had two of Mike's cues and you can't fault them. He's a great cuemaker.

Comment

Originally Posted by Whirlwind Wayne View Post
          Hi people after a bit of advice or feedback about Mike Woolridge's cues. I'm thinking of getting one and they are pretty expensive so I want to make sure I would be getting a great cue before I part with my money and then try to hide the cost from the mrs.
          His blackspin tip and ferrule system look intriguing as does his F1 joint system. I understand the blackspin tip is a redevelopment of a MW supertip with a red disc added between tip and black ferrule. Anyone here own or have used a Woolridge cue. What is it like playing with a black ferrule? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers
          I have had my VCM selected 1 piece MW ( £900.00 ) for 5 months now and there is definitely something special about it.
          My bench mark.
          3 JPUs, 1 TW & 2 Mastercues over the last 4 years.
          Would I buy another MW ?
          No
          Why ?
          I miss being able to polish a brass ferrule to perfection.
          It bothers me that no professionals are playing with Blackspin.
          Also do not buy his long extension, it flexes way too much at its max.
          Would I buy another JPU ? Yes
          A TW ? Yes.
          I have tried to be fair and even in my comments, hope it helps.
          " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Originally Posted by sydneygeorge View Post
            I have had my VCM selected 1 piece MW ( £900.00 ) for 5 months now and there is definitely something special about it.
            My bench mark.
            3 JPUs, 1 TW & 2 Mastercues over the last 4 years.
            Would I buy another MW ?
            No
            Why ?
            I miss being able to polish a brass ferrule to perfection.
            It bothers me that no professionals are playing with Blackspin.
            Also do not buy his long extension, it flexes way too much at its max.
            Would I buy another JPU ? Yes
            A TW ? Yes.
            I have tried to be fair and even in my comments, hope it helps.
            your right about the flex in the long extension from mw I am quite surprised

Comment

Actually the "Airlock" has been around for a long time...

+1 to the extension, way too flimsy

Cue wise, can't fault the quality
              Last edited by Izzyfcuk; 28 March 2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys comments much appreciated. I have a question for you Sydney regarding your perfect polishing of the ferrule what do you use and how because my ferrule could do with a buff and I'm not sure what to do to be honest. I currently also use a Trevor White but I fancied a change had it 13 years. Great cue but I just fancied trying something different like a MW cue

Comment

....Also do not buy his long extension, it flexes way too much at its max. ...
                  Originally Posted by tiger tiger View Post
                  your right about the flex in the long extension from mw I am quite surprised
                  Originally Posted by Izzyfcuk View Post
                  .... +1 to the extension, way too flimsy ....
                  Bit harsh in my opinion, just how often do you use the long extension at it's full extent ??? i reckon i have used mine once in the time i've had it, hardly a problem is it ?? and still way better than the fishing tackle on the side of the table

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    Bit harsh in my opinion, just how often do you use the long extension at it's full extent ??? i reckon i have used mine once in the time i've had it, hardly a problem is it ?? and still way better than the fishing tackle on the side of the table
                    I am 5' 7" tall and I do not like stretching, I subscribe to Nick Barrow's advice that Snooker should be a game of comfort and I therefore
                    tend to use my long extension 3 -5 times in every frame, so to me it is a vital tool and the MW is a DEFECTIVE product when compared to the extensions JP & TW sell.
                    My comment is not harsh jrc750 just fact.
                    " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

I am 5' 7" tall and I do not like stretching, I subscribe to Nick Barrow's advice that Snooker should be a game of comfort and I therefore
                      tend to use my long extension 3 -5 times in every frame, so to me it is a vital tool and the MW is a DEFECTIVE product when compared to the extensions JP & TW sell.
                      My comment is not harsh jrc750 just fact.
                      The long extension is a bit wobbly when extended if you shake it but doesn't affect the shot at all so I wouldn't let that put me off buying what are the best hand made cues.

Comment

Dear friend a 13 year old TW !!
                        Wow, don't ever sell that.
                        You sound like you are bored with your cue ?
                        If so then I suggest you try Mastercue, for $270 US plus delivery you will get a 1 piece built to your specs, it takes 3 weeks and Ukrit is an absolute gentleman to deal with.
                        My back up cue is a MC and if I had received that before I ordered the MW then there is no way I would have ordered it.
                        That's how good the the MC is.
                        When I polish the ferrule on my MC I use decorator's masking tape, costs a bit more but it leaves no glue residue, so I mask the shaft and tip and then I use Brasso.
                        As an after thought, if I could get my money back on my MW then I would sack it on the spot.

Comment

When compared to the TW & JP extensions it feels like a water affected drink straw, just poor design, unfortunately.

Comment

Best hand made cues ?
                            Really ?
                            Tell us about your bench mark cues please Gem.

Comment

I use the long extension quite a bit myself!! As pointed out comfort is key!!! Not defective just not something i would rely on.

Comment

Working...
                              X