Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this wood please...

Hi all,

Just picked up this chopping board for a tenner in TK Maxx, 18" long, really dense heavy hardwood and it's all one piece. Should get six splices out of it but haven't got a clue what it is! Any ideas?

http://s938.photobucket.com/user/w1g...3432b.jpg.html

Cheers in advance,

Brad

never seen anything like it before. As its a chopping board I'd assume its possibly been manufactured to look this way, could be some clever sort of colour adding process to make it look natural.

Comment

You cant see the detail in the photo, its definitely natural and not dyed/stained or anything. The deges show up the cross sectioned grain and it's very unusual. Very very dense, contrast is a bit like the blackfox ebony I've seen on here. I normally buy olivewood chopping boards when there on cheap for making splices from but couldn't resist this. Very unusual but looks and feels ideal.

Comment

is this board made up of jointed (biscuits?) smaller boards?
        will this cause you any problems with the splices, I assume not as the splices are much narrower that the boards that I usually see making up the chopping board
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

No it's all one piece of wood, 14mm thick and bang on flat.

Comment

I think there is more than one wood in there. Possibly reconstituted materials

Comment

It looks completely natural and undisturbed, I'll try and take a detailed photo later showing the cross sectioned grain at the edge. I'm as certain as I can be that it's a normal cut of some type of dense hardwood. Label said handmade and there was olivewood chopping boards from same makers on the shelf. I was wondering if it is a type of olivewood heartwood but looks to wide and too different to me but I'm no expert!

Comment

Looks like sapient pearwood.

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                  John stop using big words that I have never heard of.

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                    must be asleep as I cant see the feet!
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Could be marblewood or zebrano.

Comment

Its worth a try mate, let us know how you get on with it.

Comment

I think it's bamboo.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/731894/L...oards-new-york

Comment

looks like it ,but if so its been jointed,i had some 6 inx 8in sample blocks and there jointed

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys, comparing with google its definitely not bamboo or zebrano but looks very like marblewood as Jim suggested. Wish it was sapient pearwood though ha ha!

Comment

Working...
                              X