No announcement yet.

cue warp, how to straighten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I currently have one hanging, it is only a very minor warp on that one.
    I have another which im doing in a few days when it arrives and that is more severe, for dealing with that i lay it on my steel straight edge (bought from diy shop) so you can see the warp, i then use a strip of rubber wrapping type stuff to straighten the cue against the straight edge and then i cover it with a towel and lay a hot water bottle over the area thats warped and leave it over night, then i will loosen the wrapping and check on the results, if im happy with it il the hang it up aswell until its collected.

If im not happy il just repeat the process.

If its an oiled cue i will also refinish it with linseed oil before i hang it.

Iv had good results doing it this way and feel alot more comfortable than bending the cue and risking snapping it.

I know somebody who has done it in the past using a similar method, they had a dead straight surface and then used a heat blanket on it and tied the cue down flat.

But i find my hot water bottle works fine lol

Comment

One of the funniest things I have ever seen was a drunk guy offering to straighten a cue. A hornbeam, hand spliced JD2501, only one I have ever seen. Well he didn't offer, he had a shot of the cue, said "that's bent" and got a hold of it clearly going to straighten it. We all rushed in slow motion to stop him and I'll never forget his face stood there with a bit of cue in either hand.

The owner wasn't too happy.

Comment

Originally Posted by rightoncue89 View Post
        I currently have one hanging, it is only a very minor warp on that one.
        I have another which im doing in a few days when it arrives and that is more severe, for dealing with that i lay it on my steel straight edge (bought from diy shop) so you can see the warp, i then use a strip of rubber wrapping type stuff to straighten the cue against the straight edge and then i cover it with a towel and lay a hot water bottle over the area thats warped and leave it over night, then i will loosen the wrapping and check on the results, if im happy with it il the hang it up aswell until its collected.

If im not happy il just repeat the process.

If its an oiled cue i will also refinish it with linseed oil before i hang it.

Iv had good results doing it this way and feel alot more comfortable than bending the cue and risking snapping it.

I know somebody who has done it in the past using a similar method, they had a dead straight surface and then used a heat blanket on it and tied the cue down flat.

But i find my hot water bottle works fine lol
        Thanks for this, I'm always fearful of using steam and usually just use the hanging method, but will definitely give this a go.
        No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

020.JPG
          this works most times and you could use a hair drier on the bend a few mins

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
            One of the funniest things I have ever seen was a drunk guy offering to straighten a cue. A hornbeam, hand spliced JD2501, only one I have ever seen. Well he didn't offer, he had a shot of the cue, said "that's bent" and got a hold of it clearly going to straighten it. We all rushed in slow motion to stop him and I'll never forget his face stood there with a bit of cue in either hand.

The owner wasn't too happy.
            Which is a good life lesson. Never give your cue to a drunk man.

Comment

Working...
            X