changing cue weight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing cue weight.

Hey this is my first post so hi all...my question is I wanted to add weight to my 1 piece which is roughly 17 1/2 oz...I took it a guy who makes cues and repairs cues and he said he had it over night and said he couldn't change the weight because the metal bar that's in the butt was to far and a day no room between that and extension joint..He said the only way is to make a 3/4 joint which i don't want to do...He did say you can drill through b the metal bar but there's a chance it could slip and go through b the side of the butt..Thanks in advance

If there is a metal bar like steel in butt then you do have problems as trying to drill it out even if you keep the drill bit Central all the way through will cause so much heat that it will effect the glue used for splicing the cue and also most likely crack the butt , if I was you I would try taping a piece of lead like what they use for flashing on roofs , just cut a strip to the weight you want and tape it at the balance point of the cue opposite side to your chest ,doing this you can find out if you really do want a heavier cue as 17.5oz is a nice weight , if you decide you do want cue heavier and keep as a one piece the only way is to cut the butt off where the steel ends and add 4 lower splices .

Comment

Nice post Dave ,that's a big problem with some cues metal weights instead of lead.

Comment

What Dave says above is good advice, especially the sticking of some weight to the cue and trying it first. At least that way you'll get some idea of whether you actually prefer the cue to be as heavy as you are thinking.

Also, as he says on the removal of the existing steel bar..... I'd agree that perhaps the best way to go about that is by cutting it off altogether and resplicing with four lower splices. However, it can be done another way, which is....

The front of the cue (where name badge sits) can be planed down carefully, in order to identify where the weight is positioned. Then, if you can be bothered to go this far and have the ability.... The offending steel bar can be chiselled out bit by bit. Once removed, the void can be blocked up with timber section, and once solid, can be re-planed and a front splice fitted.

I have done this numerous times, but must admit, I'd not bother with it again. It really is a hassle.

Comment

Trevor, that's the way I've done it before, just taking off the front splice, or back splice if it has one. Hard work but neater results.

Comment

Thanks for the replys I've had the cue about 8month now and playing really well with it..I just feel like I need and extra oz or so just to keep the back swing steady and not feel like I have to put my shoulder out for Long screw shots lol.

Comment

A solution I have used for getting another ounce or so is like the lead weight above. I bought off eBay the lead tape which is used by golfers and tennis players and wrapped it in a single layer around the balance point of the cue. In fact I used a 1pc Aurora cue for about a year fitted with the tape. It works well because the tape is thin and as long as you only want an ounce or so there's not too much of it.

Also, it does come off easily if you decide you don't like the extra weight.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
              X