correct cue length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct cue length

How is the correct cue length determined for any given individual?

Smee

I hate to sound abrupt but there are many discussions on here regarding correct cue length vs body/arm length. Do a little search and you'll find them.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

There is no answer to this as its all about how an individual is with each cue, you could be 6"2 yet you feel more comfortable with a 57" then say a 58", or be 5"8 and a longer cue suits your game better then a shorter cue

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        I hate to sound abrupt but there are many discussions on here regarding correct cue length vs body/arm length. Do a little search and you'll find them.

Terry
        Ok, noted (and sorry) , thanks
        Smee

Comment

Come on folks....not all of us are old hands on the forum.....welcome to the forum Smeegain...nothing to apologise for. There are some very interesting threads and useful info on the site...the search function under each forum topic is also a Godsend.

Terry Davidson has posted some excellent threads under coaching and he is very helpful for technique issues, which if I remember correctly includes tips on stance, bridge, alignment and cue length.

When it comes to cue length there is an excellent post relating to cueing and distance from bridge to cue tip when cueing from the D...if you can find it I feel it is the definitive test.

regards & welcome sprogbasket

Comment

Just my opinion Sme, but a cue should be long enough so your not all crunched up but not that long that you have loads sticking out at either end, I would say if you have ten inches from your normal bridge hanging over at one end and a couple or three inches behind your hand at the other when in a normal cueing position, this is the right length of cue for you, what ever that may be.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

2 rules really
              1) if your normal height get a 58" cue
              2) if you're a short arse get a 57" cue

Comment

I'm 6'3" and use a 57" cue and it suits me fine, I would say it all comes down to what your comfortable using. Feel comfy using a shorter cue then stick to that.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                  2 rules really
                  1) if your normal height get a 58" cue
                  2) if you're a short arse get a 57" cue
                  i'd say normal height 57 and big cant 58. i'm a big cant but i use a 57

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
                    How is the correct cue length determined for any given individual?

Smee
                    A cue that's long enough for your height is a must IMO. A cue that's deemed too long can be shortened simply by where you hold it, but a short cue will always be short.
                    The height from the floor to the top of your shoulder is a good marker.

Comment

For years I played with a cue just under 57" but now I prefer a cue 57.5-58" because I feel it helps me get through the ball better.

Not saying you can't develop a game to suit the length of the cue but I actually feel I can time the ball better having the extra bit of length and I'm not having to bridge so close to the cueball in order to get the necessary follow through on shots requiring a bit of power.

A short cue is fine in the reds and keeping close control, in fact it probably helps you to shorten your bridge and keep things compact, a bit like Ding who has a very compact cue action. As has often been said though, you are better off with a longer cue overall though because you can always grip it higher up the butt end when necessary and have the length to accelerate through the ball on power shots. However with a short cue you have no room to manoeuver you simply have to have the same grip, bridge length and follow through for most shots and I don't think this is productive for your game in the long term.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                        A cue that's long enough for your height is a must IMO. A cue that's deemed too long can be shortened simply by where you hold it, but a short cue will always be short.
                        The height from the floor to the top of your shoulder is a good marker.
                        Cue to the top of my shoulder would be in the 63"-64" region. Way too long!

Comment

How Tall are you then 6ft-9" .....lol

Originally Posted by jarvis=1 View Post
                          Cue to the top of my shoulder would be in the 63"-64" region. Way too long!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                            For years I played with a cue just under 57" but now I prefer a cue 57.5-58" because I feel it helps me get through the ball better.

Not saying you can't develop a game to suit the length of the cue but I actually feel I can time the ball better having the extra bit of length and I'm not having to bridge so close to the cueball in order to get the necessary follow through on shots requiring a bit of power.

A short cue is fine in the reds and keeping close control, in fact it probably helps you to shorten your bridge and keep things compact, a bit like Ding who has a very compact cue action. As has often been said though, you are better off with a longer cue overall though because you can always grip it higher up the butt end when necessary and have the length to accelerate through the ball on power shots. However with a short cue you have no room to manoeuver you simply have to have the same grip, bridge length and follow through for most shots and I don't think this is productive for your game in the long term.
                            I agree, but half an inch surely doesn't make any difference, does it ? I can understand two inches longer to give you more space for differing length of grip but I don't see how you can really notice just half an inch.
                            My cue is 62 inches long, the width of my hand longer than the norm, and I hold it about two inches from the end when in the balls, and right at the end for long shots. Those extra two inches for long shots over my bridge help me to sight the line of aim better over distance but it isn't needed when close in.
                            That's the difference a long enough cue makes, along with being able to straighten my bridge arm and keep my cue arm just behind the vertical in the address position.

I can see how someone who started off young and grew over six feet staying with the same standard length cue they always used, but if starting to play as an adult over six feet tall then get a cue of at least 60 inches so that a comfortable stance can be achieved from the outset.

Comment

Well half and inch to an inch doesn't sound a lot but factoring in the balance of a cue and change of weight can have an enormous effect on the feel of a cue. I didn't think that change in length would make such a difference myself but perhaps it was because coming from a cue which was perhaps too short for my game that I feel the difference is huge. I bet going from a 58" to 59/60" wouldn't feel such a big difference.

I used to play a guy who was 6'3" and he had a standard length cue for years before getting hold of a cue at 60" and it brought his game on massively. I had a few shots with it and it felt horrible for me because the balance of the cue where I held it at, around 4-5 inches from the butt end, was horrible. That is why the balance point of cues is such an important factor in how it suits the individual using it. I wish cue makers would be more insightful with how they choose a shaft and get it to the BP that the customer requests. I've had many cues requested at 17" only to find the cue maker hasn't produced as asked. I've had a couple at 15.5" even which I found awful. Very rarely have I had cues over 17", but I guess that is quite difficult to produce in 1pc cues.

Comment

Working...
                              X