Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing lacquer from cue

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to remove the lacquer from my old 2 piece BCE cue. My plan is to remove the lacquer with sandpaper and then oil with raw linseed oil. Can anyone advise what grade of sandpaper I will need for this ? and is there any point\benefit to me getting and using some beeswax polish on it ?

good place to start your research
    http://www.handmadecues.com/4-Info/32-refinish.htm
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

razor blade off the lac, then dab stripper on the cue and wait for a min, then with 00 wire wool take off the remaining lac.. then i'd go from 180,240 and finally 400grit paper. then i'd go for a artists linseed oil from an art shop because its clear, then finish how you want from there

Comment

oh and it will change the resonance of the cue and you could loose up to .5 ounces of weight

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          oh and it will change the resonance of the cue and you could loose up to .5 ounces of weight
          You cant really argue with that logic can you
          "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

I did that before in my 3/4 cue. Simple job to first remove with 320 grit sandpaper and the progress with finer ones upto 2000. Then finish with cue oil in several layers.

Pls note when rubbing with sandpaper across the joint. It would cause the copper being sand out and scratch on the butt. Therefore, avoid sanding across the joint.

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
              You cant really argue with that logic can you
              is it the cue or the person whos doing the sanding that loses half an ounce?

could be onto a weight loss regime here... 32 cue refinishes a week could mean 1 lb a week off the beer belly!
              #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Working...
              X