Marquetry cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Stupree View Post
    Thanks! - I can only go by this cue at the moment which is my 8 ball cue so it doesn't get the full workout but I would say it produces stiff cues with a very smooth finish. I will be collecting a snooker spec version of this cue from Tony Glover in teh next fortnight so can give you more of a run down then.
    okay i'd be interested to hear how that will play, i like tonys work.
    meantime i'll try to get more info on the structure of the wood grain wise
    do you have any more pics handy to show off more of the shaft on that cue?
    Last edited by j6uk; 28 May 2014, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
      The shafts may be hickory which was certainly used in the period. I would say cues probably date from around 1850. The shafts will have darkened considerably with age which in my view gives even more appeal. The first cue shown which is now sold may well be constructed of two pieces. The shaft of pear the marquetary section having a base possibly of a maple or perhaps the saw falling from the cue maker who has then used great skill to conceal the point where the joint is finished. I have an example of this in my collection. The veneers are probably of various fruit and silk wood. Ivory enhancement is also used. Only possibilities these suggestions Peter but would be delighted of other opinions. F.
      Thanks for the input Frank. I'm not sure the shafts are the same as Stupree's hickory example. Even allowing for the darkening with age, the chevrons look a lot smoother than on the example in the picture. But I'm no expert of the sort of variations that would have been available.

The reason I put the date of c.1880 on the single splice example is that it is stamped with the maker's mark. This is "T. Mawson" who wasn't making anything before the 1860s and was at his peak in the late 1870s. This cue also has bone inlay rather than ivory which led me to the later date, which I admit is something of a guess.

The other cue could be any date, or any country of origin for that matter. It is much better quality, with ivory inlay, and the darker wood suggests an 1850s date wouldn't be out of place.
      Last edited by 100-uper; 28 May 2014, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
        okay i'd be interested to hear how that will play, i like tonys work.
        meantime i'll try to get more info on the structure of the wood grain wise
        do you have any more pics handy to show off more of the shaft on that cue?
        Structurally more dense than ash or maple I believe, a google search will yield all the info you want I'm sure.

Few more pics...

On Cue Facebook Page
        Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
        Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Funnily enough last Thursday I was chatting with one my pool team mates and he is working on making a cue for himself and he said the donor cue which he is going to resplice an ebony butt onto has a hickory shaft.
          I asked him where he got it from, he used to do work for an old working mens club years ago near the south coast and got it from there when they closed down. He thinks the cue is 1950/60s and no name.
          The reason he is using it is becasue it is ultra smooth and he is after that in his cue.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Stupree View Post
            Structurally more dense than ash or maple I believe, a google search will yield all the info you want I'm sure.

Few more pics...IMG]
            thanks for that stu, really nice looking cue you got there. i guess they can come up quite heavy considering the denseness. happen to know the dims off the top of your head?

Comment

Marquetry cue

56" - 16.75oz - 7.25mm tip - 27mm butt

Off the top of my head
              On Cue Facebook Page
              Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
              Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Working...
              X