9.5mm tip and 9.8mm tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.5mm tip and 9.8mm tip

Bought a new cue yesterday. When trying out I notice the tip was slightly bigger then my usual 9.5mm tip. I ask the person is it a 9.5 and he said it was. Well I believed him since he was a nice guy. Very patient answered my question well.

Today I decided to do some measurement and was shock to see that the tip is 9.8. Felt a bit dissapointed

I know it's not much and the range of a good tip size is 9.5 to 10mm.

I would like to know what is the difference in having a slightly bigger tip size

Originally Posted by tofushop193 View Post
    Bought a new cue yesterday. When trying out I notice the tip was slightly bigger then my usual 9.5mm tip. I ask the person is it a 9.5 and he said it was. Well I believed him since he was a nice guy. Very patient answered my question well.

Today I decided to do some measurement and was shock to see that the tip is 9.8. Felt a bit dissapointed

I know it's not much and the range of a good tip size is 9.5 to 10mm.

I would like to know what is the difference in having a slightly bigger tip size
    9.8mm tip imo is the best size tip, I find 9.5mm little on the small size and 10mm little on the big size so in between is perfect.

Comment

I have recently gone form 9.5 to 9.8mm too and much prefer it - I feel far more confident in my play and believe it has reduced the chances of me putting unwanted side on the white as I feel my centre ball striking has improved. As a result my play is more consistent with far less silly misses.

Initially with the bigger tip I was hitting some shots slightly thick but I very soon acclimatised and would not go back to 9.5mm again.

Give the new cue a try and see how you get on...may be a blessing in disguise.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
        9.8mm tip imo is the best size tip, I find 9.5mm little on the small size and 10mm little on the big size so in between is perfect.
        This is what i would of written
        A lot of people do not measure cues properly, very infuriating when buying on line

Comment

I always find it difficult to measure the tip accurately. I prefer to know what the ferrule size is and you can always fiddle with the tip to get it bigger or smaller. Small differences don't really matter IMO. What's important to me is that the tip holds the chalk and when you hit the cue ball it "sounds right". Maybe something to do with how soft or hard the tip is but not sure. What makes a good tip and what makes a bad one has always been a bit of trial and error for me.

Comment

Sorry, yeah i was referring to ferrule size, tip can be overhanging if need be, ferrule size gives a rough indication of the shaft taper

Comment

9.5mm tip and 9.8mm tip

I know that a few of us who regularly buy and sell cues use verniers/callipers but these are not a regular item in many people's toolbox so we must excuse those measuring by a ruler for +/- 0.3mm difference
              On Cue Facebook Page
              Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
              Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

I have bought cues stating 9 mm tip, when they arrive they are actually 9.8 mm, which is better value wise lol, but can also be the other way which is not so good

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                  I have bought cues stating 9 mm tip, when they arrive they are actually 9.8 mm, which is better value wise lol, but can also be the other way which is not so good
                  Having a very healthy 8 ball scene around me helps deal with those occasions.

Anything bigger than 9mm for me I find distractingly large and just looks wrong.
                  On Cue Facebook Page
                  Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                  Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Yep and even worse when I bought a supposedly 58" cue and when it arrived it was just under 57" and when emailed the guy he said "well it's 58" on my tape measure, classic.

Comment

Yep and even worse when I bought a supposedly 58" cue and when it arrived it was just under 57" and when emailed the guy he said "well it's 58" on my tape measure, classic.
                      Lol how ?? maybe the bottom inch of his tape is missing and forgot to factor that in

Comment

Lol how ?? maybe the bottom inch of his tape is missing and forgot to factor that in
                        Honestly he was convinced that when he measured it was 58" long, it was an old cue so not a playing cue but still putting an inch on and trying to convince me was actually quite amusing in the end, sold it in the end at the correct measurement

Comment

Will second that. all of my cues are between 9.7-9.8 . Cant play with 9.5
                          Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Honestly he was convinced that when he measured it was 58" long, it was an old cue so not a playing cue but still putting an inch on and trying to convince me was actually quite amusing in the end, sold it in the end at the correct measurement
                            Well with old cues, a full length 58" cue is worth vastly more than a 57" one, he probably knew what he was doing !!

Comment

Well with old cues, a full length 58" cue is worth vastly more than a 57" one, he probably knew what he was doing !!
                              Yes & No as the cue was fully original circa 1890's

Comment

Working...
                              X