9.5mm tip and 9.8mm tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    In your opinion Leo! Some people like smaller tips, and they get charged the same amount to make a cue, they do not get a discount lol
    That's fair enough can't see the big cue makers knocking off a couple of hundred quid for a smaller tip

Comment

Originally Posted by sprogbasket View Post
      I have recently gone form 9.5 to 9.8mm too and much prefer it - I feel far more confident in my play and believe it has reduced the chances of me putting unwanted side on the white as I feel my centre ball striking has improved. As a result my play is more consistent with far less silly misses.

Initially with the bigger tip I was hitting some shots slightly thick but I very soon acclimatised and would not go back to 9.5mm again.

Give the new cue a try and see how you get on...may be a blessing in disguise.
      Had a 3 hr practice last Saturday. Kinda got use to the new cue. It does play a lot better.

Able to do long straight shot easier

Comment

Good, pleased for you....could be the first step on the road to bigger and better breaks.

Comment

Originally Posted by tofushop193 View Post
          Had a 3 hr practice last Saturday. Kinda got use to the new cue. It does play a lot better.

Able to do long straight shot easier
          Nice... my long game is in shreds at the moment... as if there has ever been one.

I bought a cue with a 9.8mm tip some time ago but never got around to using it (I often play with 9.5mm). Took it out for a spin the other day. Felt more confident with the longish shots but was over hitting too many. Could be that I wasn't quite used to it yet or maybe it's just all in my head, again.

Anyway, it played promising enough that I'm going to give it a couple of runs to see how things go. Could be ditching my 9.5mms.
          When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject but Is It not possible to fit a slightly oversized tip to a smaller ferrule ie a 9.8 tip on a 9.5 ferrule 0.3mm does seem a very small tolerance on a cue tip .

Comment

Originally Posted by davestevies View Post
              Please excuse my ignorance on this subject but Is It not possible to fit a slightly oversized tip to a smaller ferrule ie a 9.8 tip on a 9.5 ferrule 0.3mm does seem a very small tolerance on a cue tip .
              Yes, it's possible. Lots of people do this. You just end up with a bit of an overlap which is sometimes referred to as "the mushroom".
              PS Peter Ebdon uses a mushroom effect.
              Last edited by Bigmeek; 15 June 2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I have been using a 10mm tip all of my life and play at the highest level.

Comment

Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
                  I have been using a 10mm tip all of my life and play at the highest level.
                  On what ferrule size?

Comment

Working...
                  X