Ash Shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash Shafts

Like your opinions on a question I asked yesterday.

What is the reason more cues are not made with oak shafts?

I have worked with oak quite a bit over the years and its a lovely wood with a nice grain. Although classed as a hard wood it is a bit on the soft side really and the grain can have a tendancy to lift. Its also quite an oily wood.

I know there have been cues made from it but why so few?

Is the wood to heavy? to unstable? or maybe more expensive than ash?
    Last edited by Maverick54; 14 June 2014, 07:49 AM.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
    Like your opinions on a question I asked yesterday.

What is the reason more cues are not made with ash shafts?

I have worked with ash quite a bit over the years and its a lovely wood with a nice grain. Although classed as a hard wood it is a bit on the soft side really and the grain can have a tendancy to lift. Its also quite an oily wood.

I know there have been cues made from it but why so few?

Is the wood to heavy? to unstable? or maybe more expensive than ash?
    Thought more cues were made of ash

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
      Thought more cues were made of ash
      Sorry Leo havnt had my coffee fix yet lol. Post now edited correctly. Wont allow me to edit the thread title tho which is frustrating.
      Last edited by Maverick54; 14 June 2014, 07:54 AM.
      "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
        Sorry Leo havnt had my coffee fix yet lol. Post now edited correctly.
        Lol I've had my coffee

Comment

Cue guru 001 (Jason's first cue), I have has an oak shaft apparently... not by design it seems, I always thought it was dark (I thought it was some combination of oils he was trialing), but when I took it to Craftsman to be weighted they pointed out it was oak not ash - suspect a dodgy timber supplier slipped some in when he was picking up his first few boards!

Plays OK but there's not much feel though the shaft, hard to describe, just a dead lifelessness that doesn't give that satisfying feedback when you cue a shot really sweetly. Found it hard to play consistently with.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Old cue collector --
          Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
          (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Go to " community list " , find the posts by " potter " dated 14 Sept 2010 titled " Custom made Ultimate multi splice Oak etc " and you will find 9 x pages of very " lively " discussion on Oak cues . If I remember correctly a member was trying to introduce cues with Oak shafts. Hope this helps , enjoy the read.

Comment

Is this the one old school.....??

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ad.php?t=27002
              Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
              Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Thats the one , controvesy reigned supreme on that post , tempers , sarcasm and everything , oooh Betty !!!!

Comment

The first two cues I made were made from oak offcuts. They both play absolutely fine, I'm assuming ash is more aesthetically pleasing though.

Comment

Originally Posted by bradwight View Post
                    The first two cues I made were made from oak offcuts. They both play absolutely fine, I'm assuming ash is more aesthetically pleasing though.
                    I think on the contrary, they looked superb, it is playing characteristics that are no good (apparently)
                    Did you read that thread on the link ??

Comment

Yeah I've heard people say they don't play well but can confirm that's not necessarily true! I've used mine for pool for a year now and it feels fine, plays every single shot just as well as any ash or maple cue and has remained straight, stiff and smooth. Maybe someone just had a bad experience with a lifeless oak cue and word got round that theyre all bad?

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
                        Go to " community list " , find the posts by " potter " dated 14 Sept 2010 titled " Custom made Ultimate multi splice Oak etc " and you will find 9 x pages of very " lively " discussion on Oak cues . If I remember correctly a member was trying to introduce cues with Oak shafts. Hope this helps , enjoy the read.

He He read the entire thread. Its official from Mike then. Oak makes **** cues. Gotta love the Howard Hughes crack tho ha ha.

Pity the photos are no longer there would have liked to have seen them. Wonder what happened to the cues and the company? The thread sort of just died a death. Guessing the company did the same
                        Last edited by Maverick54; 14 June 2014, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Glad to help . I like the grain pattern in Oak , particularly the gold flecks . A forum member YDJ made a cue with a Lacewood shaft once , absolutely stunning grain on that ,15 th Feb 2012 " Post Pictures Of Your Cue " . Addictive isnt it Mav ?

Comment

Working...
                          X