Protecting your cue from temperature changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting your cue from temperature changes

I've been working away recently and forgot I had it when late and stuck in traffic so left my cue in the car for a day (major mistake) and guess what, one of the hotest days so far this year.

The cue had warped only a couple of millimetres and is ash so have moved it back ever so slightly and is pretty much there; have played a few times and plays not been affected so sweat over.

Apart from not leaving in the car, has any one got any ideas how you could protect it when storing in dodgy places?

I wonder if there is a type of case that could be made to insulate against cold (heat) and reflective to temperature.

It sounds like a collaboration between an engineer and maybe Crispain, sounds like it's worth some discussion though; who wouldn't want one if you spend serious money on a cue?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Temperature change in itself isn't a massive problem, its more to do with the speed of the change. I keep my cues in the garage and have never had a problem even though there must be a difference of 50 degrees between the coldest Scottish winter and the warmest summers.

I've had a splice come away in the car on a hot day and have had to repair cues for two lads who leave their cues in freezing cold bar cellars all week. Pretty sure its the rapid, sudden, change in temperature that causes warping and adhesive failures. Also, even when its in a case, its still important to make sure the cue is flat when possible as cases can bend too, and will obviously bend the cue inside at the same time.

Comment

"speed of change" yep this is how I deal with cues that have gotten cold or hot.
      If the cue is in its case then I let it warm up/cool down to room temp in its case - so the rate of change should be similar.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by bradwight View Post
        Temperature change in itself isn't a massive problem, its more to do with the speed of the change. I keep my cues in the garage and have never had a problem even though there must be a difference of 50 degrees between the coldest Scottish winter and the warmest summers.

I've had a splice come away in the car on a hot day and have had to repair cues for two lads who leave their cues in freezing cold bar cellars all week. Pretty sure its the rapid, sudden, change in temperature that causes warping and adhesive failures. Also, even when its in a case, its still important to make sure the cue is flat when possible as cases can bend too, and will obviously bend the cue inside at the same time.
        Never thought too much as to the rate of temperature change over time so thanks for that.

The cues in the garage one has also surprised me as I would have thought they must get water in them when in the winter which would affect the splices, interesting never the less.
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
        X