Two piece cue or one piece cue which is better hitting cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two piece cue or one piece cue which is better hitting cue

HI I entend to purchase a One Piece cue or a two Piece cue which is a better

hitting cue. Maybe someone knows

Cheers Leonard

I always wondered if you got better feel through a one piece, as the shock wave, for want of a better phrase, can travel and dissipate through the full length of the cue, but with a three quarter split you would think it would stop at the joint so you only have the shaft hitting the cue ball not the whole cue, if you know what I mean.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

The cues I have had have always been 2 piece, centre split or 3/4. Recently I got a 1 piece with the intention of making it 3/4 but after playing with it ill leave as is or sell. The one piece has such a better feel, or resonance when striking a shot sweetly compared to a 2 piece. There have been threads on here that have discussed your question at length. It all comes down to personal preference and convenience of transporting a 1 piece v 2 piece. Have a look on forum, there was a good thread on the subject. There are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge and vast experience on here, thats what makes tsf such a great place to ask questions like yours.

Comment

The ideal solution is a 3/4-butt with a shorter butt (12" or so) and a wood-to-wood joint to transmit the 'feel' or vibrations. I would recommend a MW cue however I know he is terribly expensive but you get what you paid for (but also eventually after a long wait too).

I can't tell the difference between my MW playing cue and a 1pc but maybe that's just me.

Leonard:

Try out a good 1pc cue first that is close to your specs and see if you can tell any difference

Terry
        Last edited by Terry Davidson; 29 June 2014, 12:25 PM.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          The ideal solution is a 3/4-butt with a shorter butt (12" or so) and a wood-to-wood joint to transmit the 'fee' or vibrations. I would recommend a MW cue however I know he is terribly expensive but you get what you paid for (but also eventually after a long wait too).

I can't tell the difference between my MW playing cue and a 1pc but maybe that's just me.

Leonard:

Try out a good 1pc cue first that is close to your specs and see if you can tell any difference

Terry
          I have a mw 3/4 legend and its a excellent cue but still get better "feel" with 1 piece Coutts. Again its very subjective. Years ago I had a centre wood to wood joint cue but after a couple years the joint was shot, the wood seemed to crumble. Wood to wood does seem better than brass/metal thay would stop resonance, can wood to wood joints last as long as metal joints Terry?

Comment

image.jpgThey are not really wood to wood nowadays Justf, it's a metal joint that's fitted inside the cue so you have a ring of wood round the joint . Andy Travis also does these joints and will retro fit them to your cue for thirty quid or so
            Last edited by itsnoteasy; 29 June 2014, 08:41 AM.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by the montrealer View Post
              HI I entend to purchase a One Piece cue or a two Piece cue which is a better

hitting cue. Maybe someone knows

Cheers Leonard

I prefer the 1 piece cue as the touch and feel with delicate shots is superb, it's all subjective though. there are pro's and con's for each.

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
                I have a mw 3/4 legend and its a excellent cue but still get better "feel" with 1 piece Coutts. Again its very subjective. Years ago I had a centre wood to wood joint cue but after a couple years the joint was shot, the wood seemed to crumble. Wood to wood does seem better than brass/metal thay would stop resonance, can wood to wood joints last as long as metal joints Terry?
                The only all wood-to-wood jointed cue I ever had was an Adam Custom way back a long time ago. The joint eventually became bad as did the same cue Kirk Stevens was playing with.

I like the MW joint as the outer collar makes it a wood-to-wood contact and his joint seems to transmit that magic 'feel' of a 1pc cue however as you said this is subjective and everyone will get a different feel from a cue. I've tried 1pc cues and used one for awhile but I really like the MW custom cue I have now as a playing cue.

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  I always wondered if you got better feel through a one piece, as the shock wave, for want of a better phrase, can travel and dissipate through the full length of the cue, but with a three quarter split you would think it would stop at the joint so you only have the shaft hitting the cue ball not the whole cue, if you know what I mean.
                  You would think that the vibrations would be dampened, but if it's a quality joint, the cue could, in theory, act like a one piece again. So a good joint shouldn't take much away from the original hit.
                  Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                  My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

ive played with both, jointed and one piece. I prefer the one piece, as in my opinion you get a better contact.

Comment

Working...
                    X