Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted--

Hi,

Does anybody have a cue for less than £40 with the following specs (ambitious I know) ;

55-57 inch

10 mill tip

16-18oz

I need a cue for breaking with at 8 ball pool...

Thanks,

Kieran.

This any good : http://www.swsashop.com/cues/the-graduate
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I need a cue for breaking with at 8 ball pool...
      why, what do you think it will do that your current cue cannot do?

you don't need one, you want one

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
        Looks reasonable thanks Neil...

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post

I have broken my current cue 3 times through breaking, as a consequence it's over an inch shorter. I'd like it not to break again to be honest.

Comment

ah, I understand, a cheaper cue won't break as easily as your current cue, that makes sense

ever thought you could be doing it wrong if you're breaking cues on the break - that's not what breaking means

Comment

ah, I understand, a cheaper cue won't break as easily as your current cue, that makes sense

ever thought you could be doing it wrong if you're breaking cues on the break - that's not what breaking means
              Haha I hope I'm not doing it wrong ! My cue has a tip under 8mm which isn't the most resilient when using a power break.

Comment

Wanted--

pm sent mate .......

Comment

I have used a Pear shafted cue with a 7.8 - 7.9 mm tip and am currently breaking with a cue with a 7.75 mm tip , no problems so far , also Chris Melling used to use a very small tip ( even for snooker ) . May I ask if you use an open or a closed bridge for breaking and whether or not you deliver the cue parallel to the bed of the table. I do know people who have broken cues with small tips and often it is caused by breaking with a closed bridge , to stop the tip " riding " up the cue ball , which would cause a miss cue and top ( but aiming too low on the cue ball , causing it to dig in , maybe even hitting the cloth = too much stress on the cue ) . Breaking is about tip speed , the more tip speed the harder / better the break , often an open bridge is better because there is less friction , but you have to be more accurate and make sure your back hand doesnt drop . Good luck in your search for a break cue.

Comment

Wise words indeed. I shall have to remember them when Im bidding for yet another cue.

Comment

Bah. Closed bridge on the break mick, every time!
                      Agree though it's not the cue causing the cue breaking issue, I've played pool nearly 20 years (scary), never had any snapping problems even with 7mm tips.. and yes I do smash the crap out of them.
                      As per your old mate Gaz..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jo_WQrPc1Q
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Old cue collector --
                      Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                      (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
                        I have used a Pear shafted cue with a 7.8 - 7.9 mm tip and am currently breaking with a cue with a 7.75 mm tip , no problems so far , also Chris Melling used to use a very small tip ( even for snooker ) . May I ask if you use an open or a closed bridge for breaking and whether or not you deliver the cue parallel to the bed of the table. I do know people who have broken cues with small tips and often it is caused by breaking with a closed bridge , to stop the tip " riding " up the cue ball , which would cause a miss cue and top ( but aiming too low on the cue ball , causing it to dig in , maybe even hitting the cloth = too much stress on the cue ) . Breaking is about tip speed , the more tip speed the harder / better the break , often an open bridge is better because there is less friction , but you have to be more accurate and make sure your back hand doesnt drop . Good luck in your search for a break cue.
                        I use a close bridged break off, I rarely see it done any other way to be honest. Thanks for the advice tho ill give it a try.

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                          Bah. Closed bridge on the break mick, every time!
                          Agree though it's not the cue causing the cue breaking issue, I've played pool nearly 20 years (scary), never had any snapping problems even with 7mm tips.. and yes I do smash the crap out of them.
                          As per your old mate Gaz..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jo_WQrPc1Q
                          Gaz Potts plays with an 8.5 mm tip. I had no problems either when my cue was at 8.5mm ( I subsequently had it reduced to 8mm)

Comment

It is rare , us " old timers " tend to use open bridges , although I see value in using a closed bridge , especially when you really " put your arm through " , it helps to keep the butt down and stop the tip riding , a great aid in helping you to learn to break , plus it can keep your cue in a straight line . I personally have a very short break action , hand flat on table ( not on top of the cushion as in closed bridge ) , small V created with thumb , the tip travels 9 " - 12 " only , the only joint I use is my elbow and I try to keep the cue as parallel to the bed of the table as possible, I do generate a lot of tip speed though. Using a closed bridge I lose tip speed because of friction and sometimes accuracy because of the taper change of the cue , so my preference is an open bridge , every time.

Comment

Working...
                            X