No announcement yet.

Andy Hunter on making cues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sort of get where he is coming from but I also think he is talking a little in riddles when he goes on about specifics such as the shoulder being too thin and throws the ball.

This is untrue because different pieces of maple or ash will have varying amounts of flex and therefore a cue maker will taper the cue according to the flex of the timber they are working with. A stiff cue will benefit from a slimmer taper as it will give it better spring and obviously a whippy cue will benefit from a thicker taper across the length of the shaft.

As for only a handful of cue makers knowing what they are doing, well in a way he is right. Its easy to make a cue, not so easy to make a good cue or have a consistency to your work where you can produce top quality and more importantly good playing cues.
    I do feel that many cue makers knock out cues far too quickly and use sub standard ash or maple due to not wanting to waste money. I don't blame them for this but that is the drawback for many cue makers who don't have the buying power or space to keep hold a good stock of timber. They get their hands on what is left most of the time which is not the top drawer AAA quality of wood that you would want if buying a cue for 4-500 pounds or more.

This is where I will go back about Parris and never understand people who always want to knock him. Unlike many of the names who are popular amongst members on this board, many of them make nice very nice looking cues and some judge a cue maker by how accurate the splices are or how nice a shaft looks. However JP is very popular amongst the pros because he is extremely good at knowing what a player wants in a cue and is able to make a cue to suit that individual. IF these other cue makers where so good, don't you think the pros would have caught on by now and many would be using them instead!

You ask these accurate splicing cue makers to make you a cue with a specfic type of hit or balance point and they will tell you they can, until you get the cue and find they have just made you a cue with what they had available and often not the hit you wanted or the BP and you back to the drawing board hoping the next cue maker can do better. This is where the real skill is in cue making, forget the fancy exotics or mm perfect 16 splice butts, that doesn't constitute a good cue, just a pretty one.

Comment

regardless of the flex of the cue i thought he was spot on regarding the thickness of the cue in at the splice area. all of the best hitting cues ive played with have been over 25mm at the bottom of the spices. thats probably why i like a club cue

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
        yeah maybe but there was nothing revealing, not for tsf anyway, he was repeating himself and only really promoted thurstons, mentioning them three times
        Probably because it was filmed there at a guess! Unless he's asked for it back, that cue in part of the snooker heritage collection at Thurston Liverpool: (very bottom of the page)
        http://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/the...ue-collection/
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Old cue collector --
        Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
        (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
          Probably because it was filmed there at a guess! Unless he's asked for it back, that cue in part of the snooker heritage collection at Thurston Liverpool: (very bottom of the page)
          http://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/the...ue-collection/
          well there we go.. could of been interesting if he would've got more into it. like what he likes, looks for in a cue and whos work he rated

Comment

He has made about 20 videos,so lots more to come.

Comment

Originally Posted by TexasTrev View Post
              He has made about 20 videos,so lots more to come.
              Quite a few here
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLR...?feature=watch

Comment

One question i have on the original video posted is he says he knows how to make a good playing cue, hmm well that cue clearly has no ferrule or tip on it, so how does he know ????

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                  One question i have on the original video posted is he says he knows how to make a good playing cue, hmm well that cue clearly has no ferrule or tip on it, so how does he know ????
                  lol - I have known andy a long time and his knowledge of antique cues is second to none - as somebody said if you phone him or meet him you will see just how passionate and knowledgeable he really is. for sure he always manages to pinch the best ones from what I have in stock when he drives past!
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Couldnt stay away eh ADR?lol Thought it was getting quiet on here! Hope you having good holiday, done any cue hunting????

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
                      Couldnt stay away eh ADR?lol Thought it was getting quiet on here! Hope you having good holiday, done any cue hunting????
                      At a friends in Clermont Ferrand for dinner last night so had access to the internet for once! always looking out for anything interesting but been a few years since I picked up a nice inlay cue. right time for a spot of lunch then off to the Dordogne....
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

That's nice.......get invited round to friends'for dinner and the 1st thing you do is go on the internet !!!...............i sound like my Mrs
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I also gotta say i have also known Andy Hunter for many yrs and i gotta be 100% Honest what a lovely honest guy and i havent found anybody in the Snooker/Billiard Antique world that knows Half what andy knows! Andy has given most Collectors advice which they will admit if asked Including Myself!

If you Phone andy you will find out how passionate and knowledgeable he really is and "Please Allow" Hour or so as he loves talking about Snooker/Billiard Items.......lol

Gaz.

Comment

Working...
                          X