Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini butt to connect to 3/4 shaft

Hi All,

Not sure if this is in right place really (if not could a mod please move it or tell me where i should have put it).

I've recently started playing pool again and have been using my 5-6 year old 3/4 Master Cue Pro Butt. However as with a fair few pub tables there are annoying things like walls in the way and am having to play a fair few shots with just the 3/4 shaft.

Hence does anyone know of anywhere i could get a 4.5" to 6" mini butt made that will attach to the shaft instead of the butt?

Sorry for all the waffle and thanks in advance.
    Andi Mack

Does it have an existing butt joint in the cue.

Comment

Hi Jim,

The butt of the cue has a joint and i have a mini butt that will attach to that however..

I'm after a mini butt to attach to the 3/4 split shaft instead of the butt piece for playing in tight quarters.
      Andi Mack

Comment

Are they not the same joint or is it the male part of joint in the shaft.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
          Are they not the same joint or is it the male part of joint in the shaft.
          He'll need a mini butt with a female joint in it Jim. The minibutt he has for the end of the cue will be a male
          "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
            He'll need a mini butt with a female joint in it Jim. The minibutt he has for the end of the cue will be a male
            yep and it's also a mini joint in the butt end and current mini butt.

Any ideas on where i can get what i'm after made / buy one?
            Andi Mack

Comment

Andy Travis or Tony Glover may be able to fabricate a joint from scratch for you . Andy is a TSF member and Tony has a website , so both are easy to contact. Obviously they would need to have access to the shaft and butt to replicate the thread , hope this helps. As a point of interest , Craftsman have been making cues for years , where the mini butt fits the shaft , for just the eventuality you are talking about .

Comment

Pic of joint mate will help,think it as a collar on it.

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
                  Andy Travis or Tony Glover may be able to fabricate a joint from scratch for you . Andy is a TSF member and Tony has a website , so both are easy to contact. Obviously they would need to have access to the shaft and butt to replicate the thread , hope this helps. As a point of interest , Craftsman have been making cues for years , where the mini butt fits the shaft , for just the eventuality you are talking about .
                  so does MW
                  I am surprised that most other makers don't, is there a particluar reason not to?
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    so does MW
                    I am surprised that most other makers don't, is there a particluar reason not to?
                    I think generally the thread that most cue makers use are different between the shaft/butt and the mini butt. The one on the mini butt tends to have a shorter thread to enable quick screw/unscrew which overtime is more prone to slipping rather than a fuller thread on the shaft.

Comment

Cheers, i'm pretty sure i purchased the cue from crafstman cues, so i'll give them a ring. Can't believe i didn't think of that before.

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                      Pic of joint mate will help,think it as a collar on it.
                      pics of the joints between the shaft and the butt as requested, sorry the only camera i have is my iphone.

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's much appreciated.

Edit: After speaking to Craftsman Cues, i've e-mailed Master Cue to see if they will sell me either a full 3/4 joint or just the female half. If i can get one i'll send it to Craftsman and they'll stick it in a mini butt for me. Fingers crossed, just got to wait for a reply from Master Cue now.
                      Last edited by andi mack; 18 July 2014, 01:30 PM.
                      Andi Mack

Comment

I think you are partly right , Rogi , an s.d is often fitted in the butt to take extensions and the thread used for the shaft is different , possibly to increase revenue ( cynical I know ) . There are a few cues out there that are 1/2 & 4/5 jointed , which allows you to remove a short section at the butt for " tight pub tables " , but not everyone likes centre jointed cues , regardless of how easy they are to transport ( fashion fad ). I have an Aeon with a single front splice jointed at 1/2 & 4/5 and that set up works fine , Cue Craft do a modern range jointed thus as well. The only other alternative I use is to take a one piece and joint it really low e.g a 58 " cue jointed at 10" = a 48 " shaft for tight tables . Buy a reasonable quality one piece second hand and spend £40 or so et voila instant " pub league " cue .

Comment

I think you are partly right , Rogi , an s.d is often fitted in the butt to take extensions and the thread used for the shaft is different , possibly to increase revenue ( cynical I know ) . There are a few cues out there that are 1/2 & 4/5 jointed , which allows you to remove a short section at the butt for " tight pub tables " , but not everyone likes centre jointed cues , regardless of how easy they are to transport ( fashion fad ). I have an Aeon with a single front splice jointed at 1/2 & 4/5 and that set up works fine , Cue Craft do a modern range jointed thus as well. The only other alternative I use is to take a one piece and joint it really low e.g a 58 " cue jointed at 10" = a 48 " shaft for tight tables . Buy a reasonable quality one piece second hand and spend £40 or so et voila instant " pub league " cue .
                          Cheers,

I'm getting on reasonably well with the master cue, so atm i don't want replace it or end up carrying 2 cues round with me when playing in the league. Hence the idea for the mini butt as it'll fit in my case easily.

If / when i decide to replace it, i might just do the modded one piece idea though.

Edit: any one got any suggestions on what to use to clean the brass joint, seeing how dirty it's gotten is driving me nuts.

2nd Edit: Wow Master Cue reply pretty damn quickly.

For anyone else who may be interested, Greenbaize have had Master Cue custom make them some 6" mini butts with the female 3/4 joint instead of the mini sd joint. Conveniently enough Greenbaize received them in today and after a quick conversation with Stu i've now got one on it's way to me (well it will be on Monday anyway).
                          Last edited by andi mack; 18 July 2014, 03:28 PM.
                          Andi Mack

Comment

good news

many use very fine wire wool to clean brass ferrules and joints, I have used Brasso wadding in the past.

Thanks Rogi/old school
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I have my old playing cue, a powerglide which is centre jointed and 3/4 jointed and the minibutt screwed into the 3/4 joint for this reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X