First time using maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time using maple

What's peoples opinions on going to a maple cue having not really tried it before when only played with an ash cue.

I like playing with a stiff ash cue are maple cues more springy than ash.

I know there are a lot of threads like this already on here.

Just want a simple short answer.

Thanks alot

Its more the feel and sound i find different with maple, would say maple to me feels a little stiffer if anything. I like maple a lot don't mind either more about the individual cue than the shaft timber - give maple a go!

Comment

Originally Posted by Matt-10ant View Post
      What's peoples opinions on going to a maple cue having not really tried it before when only played with an ash cue.

Thanks alot
      Just as no 2 x ash cues feel the exact same, so a every maple cue will feel different.

Unless you MUST see chevrons guiding you towards the CB, your perfect cue could be either, or.

Comment

Maple is the Devil's wood lol, just can't play with it, always too stiff in my experience

Comment

Originally Posted by Matt-10ant View Post

Thanks alot
          Not springy, no. If you got from a firm ash shaft to a stiff one, a stiff maple one is about the same increase again. Obviously that's completely subjective but hopefully you get the idea.

Comment

When I first tried it I thought it felt like a delayed response, but I also thought it was a more interesting response. Ash seemed very sharp and direct where as with maple there was more going on and I felt more like I was controlling the white. I've never been able to explain this well...
            Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

For me the best way to describe maple from a playing perspective its like a surgical instrument used to strike the ball. You tend to need a more precise stroke or cue action in order to gain the maximum reaction from the wood. At least that is my experience of the few maple cues I've tried and owned.

Comment

Well well... Ash is like a automatic car, D mode is a dead drive. Maple is like manual car, you feel the gear changes, you feel the acceleration and clutch control, you feel the traction as you drift (but don't drift in your cue action... or you better just keep with ash)

In other words, I find maple are more flexible in terms of the "feel" when playing. Timber quality may varies...

Comment

How can one type of wood be more demanding on one's cue action? I'm a maple user, but haven't noticed that ash cues are more forgiving.

Comment

First time using maple

keep hoping someone would start making good laminated maple cues,nice grain patterns but subdued

Comment

Could do with this becoming a widespread concept - would mean Maple users would have a Psychological advantage over their lesser Ash cue using opponents whose cue action doesn't quite cut it.
                      Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                      How can one type of wood be more demanding on one's cue action? I'm a maple user, but haven't noticed that ash cues are more forgiving.

Comment

Originally Posted by sprogbasket View Post
                        Could do with this becoming a widespread concept - would mean Maple users would have a Psychological advantage over their lesser Ash cue using opponents whose cue action doesn't quite cut it.
                        Now I understand how Hendry won all those world titles...

Comment

Working...
                        X