Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I right in saying that JP doesn't actually make any part of a cue ordered by us no professional muggles . Instead it's a team if young employees ? If that's true , why would anyone pay that kind of price to own a cue with a badge that wasn't built by the name that's actually on the badge !? Who's to say the employees that built your cue are any better craftsmen than hobby cue makers ? Just my 2p

Comment

I don't see it as a cue related problem. The guy got a Parris cue and his match winning ratio improved. He has taken that to mean that Parris are the best cues in the world.

When I was 6 I saw a Lotus win a Grand Prix and I though black cars were the fastest cars in the world. That wasn't a problem with the cars.

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
        Am I right in saying that JP doesn't actually make any part of a cue ordered by us no professional muggles . Instead it's a team if young employees ? If that's true , why would anyone pay that kind of price to own a cue with a badge that wasn't built by the name that's actually on the badge !? Who's to say the employees that built your cue are any better craftsmen than hobby cue makers ? Just my 2p
        Enzo Ferarri doesn't make many cars.

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
          Oh here we go and Ronald bloody McDonald didn't make burger last night ether

Comment

True .however car parts are made by machine and assembled by hand (depending on manufacturer) . A cue is fully hand crafted . So is it made by the master craftsman who spent years developing his trade ,talent , skill and reputation . A name famous all over the world of snooker .Or was it built by someone who has built 1 ...4.....20....200 cues ? If it's not made by the man himself then it's not a parris cue in my eyes .

If I'm going to have heart surgery , and I pay to have the best surgeon in the world . I don't want to turn up at the hospital and hear I'm being operated on by his apprentice .

Comment

True .however car parts are made by machine and assembled by hand (depending on manufacturer) . A cue is fully hand crafted . So is it made by the master craftsman who spent years developing his trade ,talent , skill and reputation . A name famous all over the world of snooker .Or was it built by someone who has built 1 ...4.....20....200 cues ? If it's not made by the man himself then it's not a parris cue in my eyes .

If I'm going to have heart surgery , and I pay to have the best surgeon in the world . I don't want to turn up at the hospital and hear I'm being operated on by his apprentice .
              Do you expect to get a cue made by John Parris?

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                Oh here we go and Ronald bloody McDonald didn't make burger last night ether
                Exactly my point. Well done.

Comment

Do you expect to get a cue made by John Parris?

If I'm paying that kind of money for a cue made by a world famous cue maker ....then yeah , I want it made by the name on the badge .

Comment

If I'm paying that kind of money for a cue made by a world famous cue maker ....then yeah , I want it made by the name on the badge .
                    Well said that man spot on.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                      Seriously? Tell you what, measure the output of John Parris cues. Then imagine all the alleged scouring through timber yards for "just the right board" etc etc. cut the board. Take one of the shafts. Which is currently a block. Plane to a taper. Now, while that's resting, go buy a board of ebony.

Cut it to blocks, then cut that to strips, then cut those into triangles for splices.

Now, you have the beginnings of a cue. Plane two flats onto the sides of the shaft, perfectly aimed at the side grain. Being careful of course to ensure that the flats begin level and taper exactly to a point outside the centre of the bottom of the shaft. Remember to find the centre of the bottom of the shaft.

Glue two of your ebony splices to the flats. Leave.

Return the next day and plane two flats in line with the top and bottom grain of the shaft, again being careful about starting and finishing points. This is fractionally more difficult as you are now planing ebony and ash together. Don't forget, in the previous steps to ensure the grain of the ebony is running the correct way for ease of planing.

You get the idea.......

Obviously the manufacturing process can be expedited by doing processes in bulk rather that repeating them for each individual cue. Greater minds that mine have estimated the man hours required to make a top quality cue from scratch. If JP is doing so on each individual cue, I take my hat off to him.

It is my contention that what you are paying for is in fact a cue made and badged in his workshop by him or his craftsmen to his standard.

In your above example re 1, 2, 4 cues etc. when you put your car in a garage to get the brakes done, do you expect it to be done by the head mechanic or by a lad who may have done 1, 2, 4 sets of brakes which are then checked by a superior?

When you get a wall built do you expect it to be built by a brickie or the foreman?

Comment

• Why can't john Parris do it himself Trevor White does and also makes a better job toooo.

Comment

• From Parris website.

Do john parris personally work on the cues Yes, No cues leave the workshop without my final test and inspection. Bullsh*t

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                            From Parris website.

Do john parris personally work on the cues Yes, No cues leave the workshop without my final test and inspection.
                            Your point being?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Andrew watt View Post
                              Why can't john Parris do it himself Trevor White does and also makes a better job toooo.
                              Among other things, volume. I didn't know Trevor did everything himself. I've had a couple of Masts and TWs, nice cues. Someone was telling me only this afternoon that no-one has ever been in Trevor's workshop, do you know is that the case?

Comment

• Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                                Among other things, volume. I didn't know Trevor did everything himself. I've had a couple of Masts and TWs, nice cues. Someone was telling me only this afternoon that no-one has ever been in Trevor's workshop, do you know is that the case?
                                I don't think that's true but I will certainly get an answer for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X