This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top post steve.

well I av ad plenty of the cues mentioned above an none of em have even came anywhere near to me john parris ultimate cue i bin through loads an now i hav a cue that I av kept for 5 years I would never sell it or even fink about havin anover cue makers cue if you want top quality cue yow pay the cash an go too john

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      not neccessarilly true

again not neccessarilly true.

A cuemaker has spent six months honing his chosen ultimate shaft, shaving it little by little. a few millimetres at a time, taking a bit off one side, when it moves, to keep it straight, then a bit off another side for the same reason.
      Leaves it for six months after the final planing and it's still dead straight, so then begins the splicing process. Planes the butt end down from the pencil mark made on the shaft, gets it spot on, then the other side and gets it spot on also.
      Glues on the ebony, waits a couple of days, puts it up to his good eye and looks down the shaft and low and behold, what a p1sser !! that planing of the butt end for the splicing has released some tension in the wood and it has moved a few millimetres out of dead straight.

So now what ?
      Well what he does now is not to start again and sell the cue he's spent a year over as a sin bin, it's an ultimate shaft for certain, has the tight straight grain and resonates as it should when struck with the palm of the hand (years of cuemaking craft and experience tells him this) so he planes off a little bit more when splicing the other two splices on so he has a a couple of millimetres more ebony to work with on that side in order to be able to keep the cue straight, shaft and butt in alingment using the makers own taper, which identifies his cues more than the badge does, and gives it the characteristics that top players demand and pay a premium for.

So the splices are a bit out come the end, but the cue has an ultimate shaft and a years work and care and attention to it hasn't gone to waste.
      And that's just one scenario where the splices can be out.

I'm not talking about Parris in particular, this sort of thing happens to any and every cue maker out there who genuinely takes their time over the choosing and shaping of a shaft by hand.

Some people on this forum are painting John Parris like some sort of cuemaking Fagin, ridiculous. He may have some sort of production line going on with certain people doing only one job, but if it's done by hand then it's hand made and probably the only way to get through the orders he has without resorting to dodgy import practises.

To my mind if a cue has millimetre perfect splices I would have doubts that it's a genuine hand crafted cue. That sort of accuracy is usually only available through machining. Yes you can make a cue that is spot on, but not every single bloody time, that's simply being human and the difference between hand made and machined by hand.

As for the picture of the cue in question, looks a lot like my own, which has two opposing splices that are longer (but even with each other) than the other two (also even with each other), probably for the reasons I have detailed above. Nothing to be at all concerned about as it could be that even more work has gone into it to keep it straight.
      are you sure vmax ???
      I mean, I know a few players who bought a few cues last year. two of them bought a maximus ultimate and the other one bought a cue off Andy Travis.
      These cues were done within 8 weeks. (I believe that the cue made by Andy was even finished earlier).
      My point is, these guys are playing for more than 14 months with these cues and they are still perfect and the ash is not bent or anything like that !!!! you know what I mean??? in only 8 weeks !!!!!.
      what the cue makers mostly larger companies do is they put a large amount of ash, in a different climate for months !!
      (And they do this before they receive any order).
      I mean, what are you saying? Andy travis makes perfect cues in just a few weeks (and not 2.5 year) because he is a wizard?
      JP is a human being. can he make a mistakes (like all other cue makers)? yes
      is that a problem? No
      is it fair that he sends this cue to a customer ? definitely not !!! (unless this is done in consultation with the customer)
      Is it fair that someone comes here and claims: JP cues are better than all other cues? Absolutely not.
      TW, MW, Andy travis, and ...... they are all top cue makers. shall we respect everyone as they have earned it ????

Comment

• Originally Posted by jono* View Post
        This is john parris' new way of helping us identify fakes... The fakes have good splicing...
        I haven't own any JP yet.... Considering buying a fake JP with better splicing !!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
          From Parris website.

Do john parris personally work on the cues Yes, No cues leave the workshop without my final test and inspection. Bullsh*t
          Now you realised is bulls**t....
          Maybe he was off that day ~~~~

Cheers ~~~~~

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cuedos View Post
            If you had a new Porsche delivered and it had a dodgy paint job and the doors were slightly out would you ring the dealer and say dont worry about it, the car drives really well ?
            Excellent ~~~~ Cheers !! LOL ~~~~

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              I know things can slip through, but who is doing his quality control? And who is making his cues? Who ever made this knew that wasn't right , it's so obvious, and has just gone, ahh stuff it that will do.
              Definitely not JP himself.....

Comment

• Originally Posted by Andrew watt View Post
                Why can't john Parris do it himself Trevor White does and also makes a better job toooo.
                trev makes a tiny fraction of the number of cues parris sells.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                  Good luck getting a £350 JPU Ramon. ;-)
                  if you find any give me a shout!

Comment

not neccessarilly true

A cuemaker has spent six months honing his chosen ultimate shaft, shaving it little by little. a few millimetres at a time, taking a bit off one side, when it moves, to keep it straight, then a bit off another side for the same reason.
                    Leaves it for six months after the final planing and it's still dead straight, so then begins the splicing process. Planes the butt end down from the pencil mark made on the shaft, gets it spot on, then the other side and gets it spot on also.
                    Glues on the ebony, waits a couple of days, puts it up to his good eye and looks down the shaft and low and behold, what a p1sser !! that planing of the butt end for the splicing has released some tension in the wood and it has moved a few millimetres out of dead straight.

So now what ?
                    Well what he does now is not to start again and sell the cue he's spent a year over as a sin bin, it's an ultimate shaft for certain, has the tight straight grain and resonates as it should when struck with the palm of the hand (years of cuemaking craft and experience tells him this) so he planes off a little bit more when splicing the other two splices on so he has a a couple of millimetres more ebony to work with on that side in order to be able to keep the cue straight, shaft and butt in alingment using the makers own taper, which identifies his cues more than the badge does, and gives it the characteristics that top players demand and pay a premium for.

So the splices are a bit out come the end, but the cue has an ultimate shaft and a years work and care and attention to it hasn't gone to waste.

I'm not talking about Parris in particular, this sort of thing happens to any and every cue maker out there who genuinely takes their time over the choosing and shaping of a shaft by hand.

Some people on this forum are painting John Parris like some sort of cuemaking Fagin, ridiculous. He may have some sort of production line going on with certain people doing only one job, but if it's done by hand then it's hand made and probably the only way to get through the orders he has without resorting to dodgy import practises.

To my mind if a cue has millimetre perfect splices I would have doubts that it's a genuine hand crafted cue. That sort of accuracy is usually only available through machining. Yes you can make a cue that is spot on, but not every single bloody time, that's simply being human and the difference between hand made and machined by hand.

As for the picture of the cue in question, looks a lot like my own, which has two opposing splices that are longer (but even with each other) than the other two (also even with each other), probably for the reasons I have detailed above. Nothing to be at all concerned about as it could be that even more work has gone into it to keep it straight.
                    a few mill is not an inch - spoke to a couple of cue makers today on the subject of this cue - it would never ever have left the workshop let alone with an ultimate badge.

Comment

• Still, if he could make sure the splices were perfect before leaving the workshop, the waiting times would probably be extended to five years for a cue. I sure would allow splices to be out a few mm if it meant I could get it a lot earlier. As john parris is closer to retirement, his output could produce perfectly spliced cues if he worked like Trevor white or robert osborne but would take forever and the volume incredibly low as well as putting his workforce in new jobs. I don't think john parris likes his work with imperfections but he has orders to fulfill and people regardless of splicing issues still want them..

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        put down the crack pipe.
                        keep using yours lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                          sorry m8,

sorry m8,
                          but what you say is the biggest crap I've ever heard in my life !!!!!!!
                          It is not about how the cue plays,, but what you pay for.
                          If it is for you all about playblts of the cue. why do'nt you buy a maximus ultimate or Praram Limited range????. ? I can assure you they have much better quality shaft and they play much better than a JPU.
                          When a customer pays 1400 pounds for a cue,, is not just for the ash quality but he also pays for the time of the cuemaker.
                          Normally, if you wait 2.5 years for a cue. you would expect these splits are equal. (other cue makers do it in just a few months) !!!!
                          btw, If you sell me a JPU with best quality ash and best plyblts ash, only for 350 pounds.
                          Believe me, you do'nt hear me complaints about these splits !!! DEAL ????
                          this comment coming from someone who thinks he will get a JPU for £350, good luck with that lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
                            The cue in question belongs to a newish member on here. I doubt he will feel TSF love when he sees his eBay sale being ripped apart.

I recently picked up a JP traditional off eBay. I sh*t you not, one of the bottom splice points is 1" off and the shaft is not what you would call 'pretty' - but it has such a nice hit I am considering using it for the coming season. I think a lot of people are missing the point here. I am no JP critic and it doesn't effect playability, but for the prices charged i would have thought getting splice points level should be a minimum requirement especially considering all the other makers here and overseas seem to manage it no problem.

What I don't get is some people's obsession for getting picture perfect shafts. Before I joined here I didn't even know that people placed such an importance on even chevrons etc. it might come as shock to some but it makes no difference to playability.
                            exactly what i have been getting at, my performance level has improved with JP cue and i am doing nothing different i find these cues to have the best playability so for me as long as good hit and i am winning more games its worth the money i dont care if splices are slightly out

Comment

not neccessarilly true

So now what ?

spot on post steve 100% agree

Comment

• I like the picture of John Parris you have as your avatar Borselino

Comment

Working...
                                X