• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Davis's Cue

Hi Guys

Here's what I know

Originally

Ye olde Ash Burroughs and Watts.

Then it split under the ferrell, and had to be cut down, and the but lengthened, and a weight/joint put in the splice. He then won at least another world championship with the cue like this.

Then in about 1993 he seemed to have a complete 3/4 butt Ash cue made by Parris as he had done the work on his cue. He seemed to play well with this cue including I think he won a major tournament with this cue, then he seemed to switch back to his original cue again.

He also seems to have some sort of white lettering maybe a sticker stuck to the butt of his cue, anyone know what this is and what it says.

Also wasn't it Steve Davis that was the first player to have the 6" extension to his cue, and also the screw in extension.

I would like to know Steve's Spec of his cue. (Size, Weight, Tip Size).

Also when a player talks about the tip size of there cue, are they talking about the cue ferrell size are the actual size of the tip they put on. I have an old book where Steve Davis says he had a 10mm tip, but the tips he had on his cue where slightly bigger than the ferrell, does that mean the tip size was actually 9,5 or the tip was 11MM

Appreciate your answers Paul

Adr147 said in a thead somewhere here he's back to using an olde Ash. Dunno what spec though.
    During the Masters he had Riley plasterd over the butt wether or not it was a different cue again I dont know.

Comment

Yes his original 6 times world winning cue was a Ye olde Ash as I said. So he's got Riley plastered on his cue. Wouldn't that possibly remove the finish on the butt when he removes it.

Comment

Originally Posted by S Davis Fan
        Hi Guys

Here's what I know

Originally

Ye olde Ash Burroughs and Watts.

Then it split under the ferrell, and had to be cut down, and the but lengthened, and a weight/joint put in the splice. He then won at least another world championship with the cue like this.

Then in about 1993 he seemed to have a complete 3/4 butt Ash cue made by Parris as he had done the work on his cue. He seemed to play well with this cue including I think he won a major tournament with this cue, then he seemed to switch back to his original cue again.

He also seems to have some sort of white lettering maybe a sticker stuck to the butt of his cue, anyone know what this is and what it says.

Also wasn't it Steve Davis that was the first player to have the 6" extension to his cue, and also the screw in extension.

I would like to know Steve's Spec of his cue. (Size, Weight, Tip Size).

Also when a player talks about the tip size of there cue, are they talking about the cue ferrell size are the actual size of the tip they put on. I have an old book where Steve Davis says he had a 10mm tip, but the tips he had on his cue where slightly bigger than the ferrell, does that mean the tip size was actually 9,5 or the tip was 11MM

Appreciate your answers Paul
        Hi

Welcome to the forum, im new here also.

When people talk about tip size it is the diameter of the tip, peter ebdon has a 10mm diameter ferrule on his cue but becuase it overhangs this makes it 11mm maybe 11.5mm.

The sticker on steve's cue says rileys on it, i dont know what make or model steve uses now but he did use a parris ambassador cue i think and judging by the shape and size of the badge it maybe still this cue he uses now.

Cant be sure though.

Hope this helps
        Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

Craig

As my post said he was using as Ambassador Parris cue up until a couple of years ago, but he is deffinitely using his original cue now as the give away is in the splice it has a joint running through it, Steve said that when his cue was damaged to fix it Parris had to cut a piece off the top of the cue, and then to get the length back spice new butt into the butt. Steve said then that the balance and weight of the cue was all wrong so it was made into a two piece with the weight in the joint which runs through the splice. The ambassador had a 3/4 joint and not through the joint. I verified this information with John Parris and he confirmed it. It is because the butt was lenghthened that it has the Parris white coin plate that you refered to. deffinitely his original cue though. Can't believe he is sticking adverts to it.

Paul

Comment

its a B&W ye olde ash cue with a maccasser ebony butt and a 3/4 joint through the tips of the splices - it is the only cue he has ever won anything with! the sticker says riley, i guess if you pay someone enough..............
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by S Davis Fan
              Craig

As my post said he was using as Ambassador Parris cue up until a couple of years ago, but he is deffinitely using his original cue now as the give away is in the splice it has a joint running through it, Steve said that when his cue was damaged to fix it Parris had to cut a piece off the top of the cue, and then to get the length back spice new butt into the butt. Steve said then that the balance and weight of the cue was all wrong so it was made into a two piece with the weight in the joint which runs through the splice. The ambassador had a 3/4 joint and not through the joint. I verified this information with John Parris and he confirmed it. It is because the butt was lenghthened that it has the Parris white coin plate that you refered to. deffinitely his original cue though. Can't believe he is sticking adverts to it.

Paul

The fact the cue had been lengthened would have little to do with the fact that there is a Parris badge in it now.

I'd have thought this was more due to the opportunity for Mr Parris to put his name on any cue belonging to Steve, especially the one that he might use to good effect again one day.

Any original name plate or disc in a cue is nearly always easily replaced when any lengthening work has been done to a cue. So why do you think that it wasn't done in this case?

I've seen many cues altered by Parris that have had the original name plate replaced by one of his own, some of them with "customised by John Parris" written on them.

Good advert innit?

The reason I say this is because I've done the same sort of job on dozens of Parris cues, and, have always replaced the original Parris badge from the cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1
                The fact the cue had been lengthened would have little to do with the fact that there is a Parris badge in it now.

I'd have thought this was more due to the opportunity for Mr Parris to put his name on any cue belonging to Steve, especially the one that he might use to good effect again one day.

Any original name plate or disc in a cue is nearly always easily replaced when any lengthening work has been done to a cue. So why do you think that it wasn't done in this case?

I've seen many cues altered by Parris that have had the original name plate replaced by one of his own, some of them with "customised by John Parris" written on them.

Good advert innit?

The reason I say this is because I've done the same sort of job on dozens of Parris cues, and, have always replaced the original Parris badge from the cue.
                lol true true - its amazing the junk on ebay that fetches £100 because it has a customised by john parris badge on it! - hey trevor so you owe dominic a tenner i hear!

Comment

Yeh that's right, and it'll kill me to give it to him through my gritted teeth.

I stuck a small bet on Mark to win it this year, purely based on the great odds offered. I know he's been playing great in practise, but that doesn't tell the whole story as we know.

I'd have liked to see Mark do well, but, when he says to me........

"you've done your money!"

I wasn't relying too heavily on receiving any winnings for a quick financial bonus.

Still, it's a bit of fun ain't it?

Comment

yes its a laugh - dominic thinks higgins might do it this year - i think ronnie and higgins odds not good enough - what about ryan day?

Comment

Ryan is some player, that I do know.

He is VERY well rated by anyone that REALLY knows just how good he is.

I was speaking with him on a night out about two weeks ago and he mentioned he really fancied it against Robertson. (the match that is)

We'll see eh?

How do you know about the bet with Domdom???

I bet the gimp was gloating about it during his Eurosport commentary was he?

I'll give him a slap when I see him next week.

Comment

you are bang on the money! he was in the eurosport box off the air and talking to me just before it happened! he is backing higgins to win? he might be right there - we will see - hard lines to ryan this time, but he did not get the run of the balls! - i have the acuerate cue by the way and i will send it to you tomorrow - i will not post my review until you see it and write yours because thats not fair but its safe to say you will laugh!

Comment

Hi, new to this forum. May have visited in the past but not sure.

For a short while I did collected snooker cues but I have slowly reduced my collection lately. I do have a Ye Olde Ash which I consider selling, still has the old billiard taper this cue use to belong to the late Bernard Bennett who if I remember correctly was the original 8 member pros who formed the first WPBSA back in 1968. His sons sold off their father's cues soon after he died probably when they split his will which included several Burwat Champions and others.

I heard Steve Davis plays with a Ye Olde Ash and thought about showing it to him last year when he played at an exhibition in my town but unfortunately tickets were sold out. Looks like its going to be ebay but I havent seen a real one up for sale for over a year.
                          There is a top local amateur player at our club who plays with a Ye Olde Ash and made a 147 maximum. H bought it from Craftsman Cues several years ago and had it retapered.

Hi Trevor, thanks for reparing my cue a couple of years ago.

Wah

Comment

Originally Posted by Crucible
                            Hi, new to this forum. May have visited in the past but not sure.

For a short while I did collected snooker cues but I have slowly reduced my collection lately. I do have a Ye Olde Ash which I consider selling, still has the old billiard taper this cue use to belong to the late Bernard Bennett who if I remember correctly was the original 8 member pros who formed the first WPBSA back in 1968. His sons sold off their father's cues soon after he died probably when they split his will which included several Burwat Champions and others.

I heard Steve Davis plays with a Ye Olde Ash and thought about showing it to him last year when he played at an exhibition in my town but unfortunately tickets were sold out. Looks like its going to be ebay but I havent seen a real one up for sale for over a year.
                            There is a top local amateur player at our club who plays with a Ye Olde Ash and made a 147 maximum. H bought it from Craftsman Cues several years ago and had it retapered.

Hi Trevor, thanks for reparing my cue a couple of years ago.

Wah
                            if its real i know people who would be interested.

Comment

Adr147, if you do please contact me off list, may save me ebay fees.

Comment

Working...
                              X