Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splices not too far out.... Reply from owner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splices not too far out.... Reply from owner.

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

I am the owner of the John Parris Ultimate cue that was recently the hot topic of debate in the above mentioned thread. That thread has now been closed now for obvious reasons but I feel compelled to reply to some of the assumptions and statements made about my cue.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2215196270...84.m1555.l2649

I'm going to keep this short and sweet as I don't really have the time to sit here and waffle on, I spend all my spare time practicing.

Firstly, Most if not all of you have made the assumption that my cue left the JP workshop with one splicing lower than the others. That is wrong. Around 2 years ago my chalk holder came loose from its position in my case and left a small scratch very close to the top of the top facing splicing. I took it to a French polisher who kindly removed the annoying scratch for me. he advised me that while polishing it would lower the splice a little. I said that was not a problem to me and to go ahead. He also advised he could match up the other splices with sanding and polishing but it would alter the weight of the cue slightly so I decided against this as it plays beautifully.

Secondly there was also an assumption that this was a Quote "Sub standard cue" This couldn't be further from the truth!! This cue was made in the late 90's by John himself. The feel and balance of this cue is like no other I have played with. The workmanship from John Parris cues now is nowhere and I mean nowhere near the quality of this cue.

I have a new Cue now, made by Ton at Maximus Cues, Which is a little longer, (58'1/4) and was made to the exact same spec as my Parris and as I had seen the workmanship on other cues made for some friends of mine I was happy for him to make this cue for me. I even chose the shaft I wanted, the pointed grain I wanted along with the number of chevrons I wanted and was sent countless pictures of my cue as it was made. Something that I couldn't get with JP along with total guesswork as to what the grain would be like after two years of waiting. My new cue is stunning and would have no hesitation in recommending Maximus cues to anybody.

For anyone that doubts my ability or knowledge of cues I am a top Amateur who just really didn't get a chance to go pro, I have made 396 century breaks in practice, (not line up's) and 93 in competitive play. I've compiled 147's got to the last 16 of the world 8 ball pool championships and played on television. A good cue is all about feel and how it strikes the ball. Nothing more. I've seen relitivley cheap cues with a great feel and iv'e seen very, very expensive cues with horrible feel and a shaft that wouldn't look out of place with the cheap cues on the shelf in Sports Direct, The most recent being a friend (main tour pro) who waited a year for a JP Paragon who was so disappointed with the shaft and Butt splicing he was almost in tears. That wasn't going to happen to me and if I was going to buy a JP I'd rather buy mine all day long knowing its history and grain along with a top players personal reference.

As for the price, That what it's worth to me, with all that iv'e won with it and the places iv'e been with it I wouldn't sell it for a penny less. Iv'e been offered £1200 from China. Not enough for me to sell it.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this, I hope it clears up any questions that anyone may have.

Aaron

Thanks for all that, but "while polishing it would lower the splice a little" wow, that must be some polishing going on ! or does french polishing mean sanding ???

Comment

Nice post Azzza, I honestly don't think anyone thought it was a bad playing cue, how would they know without using it!, but I am honest enough to say I did asume it left the Parris workshop like that, as I have seen others like it, but it proves you shouldn't jump to conclusions without all the evidence.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        Thanks for all that, but "while polishing it would lower the splice a little" wow, that must be some polishing going on ! or does french polishing mean sanding ???
        You would need to sand the scratch out first then French polish.

Comment

What a decision to have to make! Live with a scratch or live with a shortish splice!

Comment

sorry you would not sell your maximus for how much???

1200 pounds!!!

I'd have sent it gift wrapped with some Chinese fortune cookies

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post

1200 pounds!!!

I think he meant he wouldn't sell the Parris Ultimate for 1200 pounds..which is understandable

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
                You would need to sand the scratch out first then French polish.
                Sorry Andy, but i just cannot see how a "small" scratch would need so much sanding that the whole splice was taken down by this much ???

Comment

Who said anything about selling my Maximus? I think you should re- read the thread and then reply.

Many thanks

Aaron

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post

1200 pounds!!!

Comment

The thickness of the last 1 cm end of a splice can be as little as 1 mm. so if a small scratch that is 1mm deep could easily take the splice back the half cm it has.

Hope this clears that up for you.

Many thanks

Aaron

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    Sorry Andy, but i just cannot see how a "small" scratch would need so much sanding that the whole splice was taken down by this much ???

Comment

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
                      I think he meant he wouldn't sell the Parris Ultimate for 1200 pounds..which is understandable
                      Oh I'm mistaken - thought he was talking about a maximus cue - nice cues by the way no disrespect intended.

Comment

Originally Posted by azzza View Post
                        The thickness of the last 1 cm end of a splice can be as little as 1 mm. so if a small scratch that is 1mm deep could easily take the splice back the half cm it has.

Hope this clears that up for you.

Many thanks

Aaron
                        Ok cheers, your definition of a "small" scratch is far far different to mine lol

Comment

You lads will know better than me but could you not fill a scratch then sand it back rather than this method?
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

yep, mix a bit of devcon with black grain filler, that's what i've done before you can't notice unless you look pretty close.

Comment

Perhaps I should of described the scratch better, more like a scratch with light grazing around it. filling was not an option I looked into that. It was on the end of the splice and ran across into the ash.

Comment

Working...
                              X