Advice on handmade cues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Cheers Dave, I was only thinking about a one piece, but like you I would like the shaft to go all the way to the bottom of the cue if possible, even if it's just nicer to know you are using one complete piece and it makes no difference to how it plays.
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Cheers Dave, I was only thinking about a one piece, but like you I would like the shaft to go all the way to the bottom of the cue if possible, even if it's just nicer to know you are using one complete piece and it makes no difference to how it plays.
    Personally it doesn't bother me either way, as long as it plays well it makes no difference. A lot of people do believe the shaft runs the whole length of the cue which is not always the case

Comment

I would say that the vast majority of 'one' piece cues don't have the shaft running through to the end unless they are either naturally weighted or as dave says the bored hole is smaller than the square. It is entirely possible though that the bore hole is larger than the square therefore the last few inches will be plugged.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
        I would say that the vast majority of 'one' piece cues don't have the shaft running through to the end unless they are either naturally weighted or as dave says the bored hole is smaller than the square. It is entirely possible though that the bore hole is larger than the square therefore the last few inches will be plugged.
        When you say naturally weighted, do you mean it's done purely with the woods used in the splicing? And if so, is there a limit in how heavy you can go with using wood alone?

Comment

it depends on the woods used as some are denser than others.
          http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
            When you say naturally weighted, do you mean it's done purely with the woods used in the splicing? And if so, is there a limit in how heavy you can go with using wood alone?
            How heavy you go would depend on the types of wood you would use, the density of the wood used, the diameter of your butt end, to a lesser extent the taper used and finally splice lenghts. With conventional ebony-ash combo with 20 inch splices I would estimate around 16 - 16.5 ounces max(not including the sd joints). Hope this helps

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
              How heavy you go would depend on the types of wood you would use, the density of the wood used, the diameter of your butt end, to a lesser extent the taper used and finally splice lenghts. With conventional ebony-ash combo with 20 inch splices I would estimate around 16 - 16.5 ounces max(not including the sd joints). Hope this helps
              Thanks mate, that has helped a lot.

Comment

Working...
              X