Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marquetry type cues - anyone know anything about this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marquetry type cues - anyone know anything about this one?

Does anyone have any info on this one I picked up today? Cheers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old cue collector --
    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

give me a call fella. 01250875802
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Looks like some kind of homage to a horses @rse. .

Seriously though, here do you get cues like this Mike ?

Comment

Very nice cue I like the art work good find.

Comment

worth a lot of coin, potentially!
          #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
            Looks like some kind of homage to a horses @rse. .

Seriously though, here do you get cues like this Mike ?
            You hand over big bags of cash Bill.. it wasnt a car boot type find for a tenner, sadly..
            Andrew - its not for sale, in fact the seller chose to sell it to me rather than more money overseas on the basis it was going to a uk based collector who'd appreciate it.
            I was just wondering if anyone had any info, other than what I've had from Andy H - 1880s or later and european, he gave me his view on value also.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Old cue collector --
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I take it car boot marquetry cues are few and far between.

Strikes me that the work on some high end American pool cues are closer to these in lineage, than our

traditional multi spliced snooker cues .

Does the horse indicate any historical link to the original owner / customer then ?

Comment

Many years ago I watched 2 old fellas playing billiards, were both in their late 70's (just outside Truro, Cornwall)

One of them had a cue engraved like this one and he said it was an old family heirloom then (this was around 1988) so that could mean given the players ages the cue he had was over 100 yrs old

Oh and these 2 guys were pretty awesome players I seem to recall
                :snooker: If you can't pot the pink - bury the brown!

Comment

Looks like this cue was made in india.
                  Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                    Does anyone have any info on this one I picked up today? Cheers.

Hello PB.

First of all, many thanks for your comments on the other board. It took a while for me to realise who you were, but when the penny finally dropped I remembered this thread from when I was surfing through the old archives.

Anyway, many years ago I saw a cue very much like your beautiful marquetry example. I've been racking my brains as to where and I think it was featured in a superb work called the Billiard Encyclopaedia by Victor Stein and Paul Rubino. Alas, I do not own a copy, but believe they are available online for something around the $100 mark. A weighty price tag, admittedly, but the book is unparalleled in its class; their research and knowledge is extraordinary and the photography first class. If you haven't already, I'd wager you would find some valuable information on your cue in there, sir.

Comment

Originally Posted by toastandmarmite View Post
                      Hello PB.

First of all, many thanks for your comments on the other board. It took a while for me to realise who you were, but when the penny finally dropped I remembered this thread from when I was surfing through the old archives.

Anyway, many years ago I saw a cue very much like your beautiful marquetry example. I've been racking my brains as to where and I think it was featured in a superb work called the Billiard Encyclopaedia by Victor Stein and Paul Rubino. Alas, I do not own a copy, but believe they are available online for something around the $100 mark. A weighty price tag, admittedly, but the book is unparalleled in its class; their research and knowledge is extraordinary and the photography first class. If you haven't already, I'd wager you would find some valuable information on your cue in there, sir.
                      I have vol 1 and vol 2 if you're interested in buying them
                      #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Despite my intention to keep it... The cue is now in the collection of Mark Stellinga of Iowa, very passionate collector of these type of cues and old racks, although I think those were going to focus on his cues. I'm sure he cue is much cherished.
                        Old cue collector --

Comment

Working...
                        X