Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue repair help

Hi all

I'm trying to tidy up my friends cue. It has some light damage on the butt region and was wondering what I could do to get it like new. I've started oiling as it hadn't been done for a long time and would like some recommendations. See pics thanks

Thanks in advanced

where is the damage?
    http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

to me it looks like some grain filler has dropped out - or it could be splitting
      down near the end on the right side, two cracks

if grain filler - then get some filler - others will know what are the best types to get.
      if splitting, you can glue, press and tape and let to set - I have used superglue dribbled into the crack, a tip from a fellow TSFer was to put the tube into the fridge for a while to go cold and it goes really runny so it seeps into the crack. Be careful not to apply too much.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
        where is the damage?
        Yh I can't see it either lol.

Not too sure you're right about the cracks Dean, I think that's just the grain from an acute angle.

Jono, is it the bit in the middle of pic, gone slightly light in colour???

Comment

I know, it is difficult to see what exactly is the problem
          could be colour of the grain or they could be caverns!

Comment

Hi guys sorry if it's not clear. That area where it's lighter feels a little fuzzy and rough to touch like it's been sanded a little. Not sure if I can give it a slight sanding with some very fine sandpaper or wire wool. Might be down to dryness I don't know?

Comment

phew - just some light fine sanding, not filling /glueing

it could be dryness to give that feeling yes, sand with fine paper/wirewool, lightly oil and let dry and repeat until happy

do not over oil as it can so sticky

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                phew - just some light fine sanding, not filling /glueing

it could be dryness to give that feeling yes, sand with fine paper/wirewool, lightly oil and let dry and repeat until happy

do not over oil as it can so sticky
                yeah pretty much what dean said!....

it just looks like it has dried out over time, gently sand it back with something like 500 grit, then work up through 600 800 1000 1500 2000 and a nice coat of oil and it will be as good as new.
                I like to add wax to the butt so it is smooth and shiny but not slippy

Comment

Cheers guys. Hope that works out. Post pics when I'm finished

Comment

best of luck, just take your time and ask any questions if you get stuck.

Comment

As has already been said you will need to oil it, the wood just needs nourishing. I probably wouldn't go back as far as 500 grit, it probably doesn't need it. One thing I would suggest though is wet sanding the area using oil as the sanding lubricant. This will in turn fill in the small pores and leave a super smooth finish. I use a oil/wax mixture to finish my cues. Also don't use too much oil at once, leave at least 24 hours between coats.

Comment

the wood looks like its on the softer side of hardwood and its reacted this way from the moisture of the hand, it could even be slightly sunken in. even after sanding, oiling and burnishing i think in time the problem will come back.

Comment

I'm still trying to work out what the hairy thing under the cue is...

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            the wood looks like its on the softer side of hardwood and its reacted this way from the moisture of the hand, it could even be slightly sunken in. even after sanding, oiling and burnishing i think in time the problem will come back.
                            Is there anyway I could seal that area then so that moisture doesn't get in?

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                              I'm still trying to work out what the hairy thing under the cue is...
                              That would be my leg ;p

Comment

Working...
                              X