Stupid Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Question

May sound stupid but how do you know the best length of cue for you?
    Simply by feel or is there a 'mathematical formula' determined by your height / arm length ???
    Cheers
    Darren
    :snooker: If you can't pot the pink - bury the brown!

Stupid Question

to me not a stupid question
    I asked exactly the same not that long ago, e.g. height to the shoulder or arm span is what I have heard over the years.
    But not had any definitive answer
    I think it is very personal and not something that can be defined but a body metric.
    wonder what others think.... ?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Just get a standard 58" cue and adjust your grip position if need be, or measure a cue down the club if it feels right ;-)

Comment

Stupid Question

on the other thread I think it was about a short cue and I mentioned a short cue in the rack and to give if a go to see if it compacted my cue action.
        It was different and felt better in a way but the rack cue had a severe bend near the tip which was very off putting
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Just get a standard 58" cue and adjust your grip position if need be, or measure a cue down the club if it feels right ;-)
          Sound logical in theory but ive tried playing with cues that are longer than my preferred length gripping them further up and it does not feel comfortable . they still feel way too long . Is it just me .

Comment

A few years ago I spent a full day at the snooker academy which at that time was near Northanpton. I was coached by Barry Stark and on the table on my right was Ding Junhui and on my left was Ken Doherty!! Wonderful day, anyhow, Barry took my cue and using a soft pencil drew a small line at 12in down the shaft from the tip. Then he drew another two lines one 5in in front of the first line and the other 5in behind. My cue at that time was 57.75in long. Barry then made me get down and cue with the 12in line on my bridge and then he set me up so that my cue arm was vertical. He then commented that I had to hold the cue almost at the very end and told me that in his opinion I would ideally need a cue that was one inch longer...........so my perfect cue would be 58.75in. I am 6ft 1in tall. Obviously everyone is different but for me that's what he told me!
            Hmmmmmm..........I should ask for a refund as I am still a rubbish player!!
            'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Thanks for the input
              I just read and saw lots of length options but don't know how I'd know whats best
              Just assumed taller player with longer arms meant longer cue?
              At 5 ft 8 I think 58 inch (which is what my old faithful 2 piece is) will suffice
              I do think I'd like a heavier cue after using my brothers which is a fair bit heavier than mine

Comment

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
                A few years ago I spent a full day at the snooker academy which at that time was near Northanpton. I was coached by Barry Stark and on the table on my right was Ding Junhui and on my left was Ken Doherty!! Wonderful day, anyhow, Barry took my cue and using a soft pencil drew a small line at 12in down the shaft from the tip. Then he drew another two lines one 5in in front of the first line and the other 5in behind. My cue at that time was 57.75in long. Barry then made me get down and cue with the 12in line on my bridge and then he set me up so that my cue arm was vertical. He then commented that I had to hold the cue almost at the very end and told me that in his opinion I would ideally need a cue that was one inch longer...........so my perfect cue would be 58.75in. I am 6ft 1in tall. Obviously everyone is different but for me that's what he told me!
                Hmmmmmm..........I should ask for a refund as I am still a rubbish player!!
                Wow! a day you'd never forget I bet

Comment

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
                  ..... Hmmmmmm..........I should ask for a refund as I am still a rubbish player!!
                  Maybe you need to buy another cue how is the LP playing ???

Originally Posted by Darren Maudling View Post
                  .... At 5 ft 8 I think 58 inch (which is what my old faithful 2 piece is) will suffice ...
                  I would think then a 57" cue would be better for you

Comment

I would think then a 57" cue would be better for you[/QUOTE]

You think an inch shorter would be better jrc?

Comment

Best thing to do is try a few cues out, i'm 6' 1" so 58" feels right for me, i am only guessing here but i would imagine 58" is probably a bit long for you ?

Comment

Best thing to do is try a few cues out, i'm 6' 1" so 58" feels right for me, i am only guessing here but i would imagine 58" is probably a bit long for you ?
                        Sounds like a plan - can i ask how heavy your 58 inch cues are pal ?

Comment

I tend to play better with around 18.3 oz

Comment

I tend to play better with around 18.3 oz
                            Cheers I am going to the club tomorrow and hopefully chat with a few guys and hopefully compare some weights etc before deciding what to buy
                            I have a budget upto £150 so I think the more specific I can be the better as to spec will help me choose the right cue

Comment

Originally Posted by Darren Maudling View Post
                              Cheers I am going to the club tomorrow and hopefully chat with a few guys and hopefully compare some weights etc before deciding what to buy
                              I have a budget upto £150 so I think the more specific I can be the better as to spec will help me choose the right cue
                              Try before you buy will always be the best way.

Don't forget that the balance point can effect the feel you have as much as, if not more than the weight. . .

Try and find 2 x cues the same weight , with different balance points and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck with the search.

Comment

Working...
                              X