Stupid Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
    Try before you buy will always be the best way.

Don't forget that the balance point can effect the feel you have as much as, if not more than the weight. . .

Try and find 2 x cues the same weight , with different balance points and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck with the search.
    cheers billabong hadnt really thought of that - so the balance rather than the weight affects the 'feel'
    :snooker: If you can't pot the pink - bury the brown!

Comment

More like a combination of the two and more factors ( each bit of wood , identically spec'd, will have it's own feel as well ).

You can see why it's better to try a range of cues ( ideally covering the badge, to eradicate subconcious edging towards a favorite maker ).

You might think you know what's best, but be open to this changing, on trial of many cues. .

Comment

Always best to try a cue before you buy, probably why you see so many people after waiting months or even years for their cue end up sticking it for sale on here or on ebay due to them not suiting the cue

Comment

At the risk of confusing Darren even more I'd like to mention that the taper can affect the feel of the cue. I find that if the last 12 inches of the shaft (at the tip end) is on the thickish side then the cue feels like a bit of a broom handle. Trying before you buy is the best solution.

Comment

All sound advice.

For your info I'm 5'10 and my cue is 57.5
            http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

I'm 6ft 5in and I play with a 62inch cue. I cut down my mini but and play with that on all the time. It's made a big difference to my game.

Comment

Thanks guys I really appreciate all your technical know how and advice
                I'll definitely try far more cues than I had originally thought - so many factors to consider
                I had no idea about the taper, and the balance point is something I have no knowledge on so I will def try before i buy
                I'd hate to buy a cue as said and end up selling it due to not liking how it played

Comment

That's the good thing about trying the cue.

You are weighing up ALL those variables doing one thing.

i.e. Playing some shots, and seeing how it feels.

You don't really need to know what variable it is that is making one cue feel worse/better than another.

Just that it does feel worse / better. Let that be your guide.

Comment

That's the good thing about trying the cue.

You are weighing up ALL those variables doing one thing.

i.e. Playing some shots, and seeing how it feels.

You don't really need to know what variable it is that is making one cue feel worse/better than another.

Just that it does feel worse / better. Let that be your guide.
                    Thanks Billabong - awesome advice pal

Comment

Ok went and tried a couple of cues at the club today - thanks to those who accommodated my requests and endless questions lol
                      I discovered when I tried a 57 inch 18 oz 30mm butt peradon cue it just felt 'so right' and my cue control was far more accurate
                      I have no idea of the balance point nor did the owner as it was his dads cue but it felt like i had a new arm
                      It was a 3/4 cue nothing flash - handspliced but I would have taken it home if I could have
                      So that spec is definitely my favoured choice I think - any comments gratefully accepted

Comment

Did you try a few cues that were for sale ?

Remember that spec ( 57 x 18 x 30 ) will feel totally different on other cues with different balance points / taper / etc.

You need to try the actual cue that your going to buy if it feels right. .

Comment

Did you try a few cues that were for sale ?

Remember that spec ( 57 x 18 x 30 ) will feel totally different on other cues with different balance points / taper / etc.

You need to try the actual cue that your going to buy if it feels right. .
                          tried 5 in total
                          only 2 were for sale others were members cues
                          i guess it would be ideal to try other 57-18-30 cues to compare now billabong ?

Comment

Hi Darren, I am often at Allstars and Frames. Let me know when you are there next and I will try meet up with you. You are more than welcome to try my Trevor White, Jason Owen, Tony Glover and Parris. The TW is my favourite

Comment

Originally Posted by wailord View Post
                              Hi Darren, I am often at Allstars and Frames. Let me know when you are there next and I will try meet up with you. You are more than welcome to try my Trevor White, Jason Owen, Tony Glover and Parris. The TW is my favourite
                              Will they fit into his £150 budget ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Darren Maudling View Post
                                Ok went and tried a couple of cues at the club today - thanks to those who accommodated my requests and endless questions lol
                                I discovered when I tried a 57 inch 18 oz 30mm butt peradon cue it just felt 'so right' and my cue control was far more accurate
                                I have no idea of the balance point nor did the owner as it was his dads cue but it felt like i had a new arm
                                It was a 3/4 cue nothing flash - handspliced but I would have taken it home if I could have
                                So that spec is definitely my favoured choice I think - any comments gratefully accepted
                                Some of the older peradons are really nice cues, but they mess around with the finishes so be careful if you decide to buy one on line. The balance point is exactly that, balance the cue on 1 finger and move it up and down until its perfectly balanced, distance between your finger and the butt of the cue is your balance point.
                                No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Working...
                                X