Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First 'decent' cue advice

Hi all,

I've recently picked up a cue again after many years pursuing more energetic activities - foolish I know. I have never been much of a player (highest break 40ish) but am looking to up my game and put some proper time in.

I am looking to pick up a new cue, with a budget of up to £150. Looking around this forum that doesn't seem like a huge amount, but if I'm honest at my level I wouldn't imagine I will be able to justify anything more than that.

Please could you help recommend a brand/cue that might suit?

Thanks in advance
    Michael

up it to 200 and I think you will increase you choices exponentially

Comment

Think I would look to buy a second hand cue. For £150 you could get something pretty good from a Forum member. Have a look at the Craftsman Cues website. Up your budget and you could be looking at a nice brand new GBL cue from Greenbeize. Have a "drool" at some of their cues. Would help if you knew what spec you were looking for.

Comment

As above Pay an extra £100 and get a Very good GBL.

Comment

Scottish cue maker James Butters is the one cue maker I would go for in that price range. Very good cues indeed. I think I would also try a young man from Wales called Jonathan Logeran?
          Last edited by Byrom; 10 December 2014, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. I could up the budget in theory, sounds like there's good reason to do so.

In terms of spec, it's really not something I know anything about. I would like a 3/4 cue, medium weight I believe, but beyond that, type of wood etc I'm really not sure where to start.

Comment

Hi the cue makers I suggested just make 1 pc cues I think - if you are near Leeds go to Craftsman n try a few out on their table they have a large stock if in North East try Green Baize - that way you have a better idea of finding something that feels good and right for you as a first cue. There are other places - where are you based?

Also there are some great regular sellers on this forum - a few I would recommend are Andy Travis - Minnesotaslim - JRC750 - Sturpee - ADR147 - check out the cue selling section and welcome to snooker

As for size of cue average is about 58 inches long 18 oz and 9.5 tip - you can either have ash or maple generally - most would use ash probably. Splices would be aesthetic and up to you - you will also need one with a butt socket and extensions and a case.
              Last edited by Byrom; 10 December 2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I'm in North London/Herts. Peradon have a lot of cues in this range, although I hardly see them mentioned on these boards - is it a dirty word??

Comment

And thanks for the great advice Byrom!

Comment

No problem - If you are in London you must check out Parris cue shop in forrest Hill - John is a good guy and his cues always sell well and keep or exceed their price if you don't like them - see it as a way of saving up rather than an expense. More expensive as many regard him as the best but no harm in looking. Cant all afford a BMW but nice to dream:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Garch View Post
                      Hi all,

I've recently picked up a cue again after many years pursuing more energetic activities - foolish I know. I have never been much of a player (highest break 40ish) but am looking to up my game and put some proper time in.

I am looking to pick up a new cue, with a budget of up to £150. Looking around this forum that doesn't seem like a huge amount, but if I'm honest at my level I wouldn't imagine I will be able to justify anything more than that.

Please could you help recommend a brand/cue that might suit?

Thanks in advance
                      Michael
                      got a maximus legend for sale its 3/4 58 1/4 inch 17.5 ounces 9 mil tip includes long telescopic and mini but extensions £150
                      Craftsman custom made cue
                      57 inches
                      17 ounces
                      9 mil Wooldridge original supertip
                      ash shaft plain ebony butt

Comment

Ok, so I went and played with the Cue Builder on the Parris site - and now I want to up my budget to £1k! Unfortunately it's not likely to happen.. so will have to come back to reality.

That Maximus legend does look interesting, but at 5'9" I'm wondering if 58 1/4 is a touch too long. I did test a similar length cue the other day and it felt a bit long the way I currently play. I think the only thing to do is to get down to a decent shop. It does look like there aren't many around my way unfortunately.

Comment

My advice at whatever price you are prepared to pay is to find somewhere to actually TAKE TIME and TRY before you buy. Check out my website for contact details and drop me an E.mail with a phone number. I can help. www.franksandellcuesport.co.uk Good luck. F.

Comment

Important to know the popular cue makers like Parris and Trevor white have a long waiting list around a year.

you would be better visiting his shop in forrest hill London for something cheaper off the shelf.

Comment

I have a very nice early Tony Glover , one piece you can have for £200

Comment

Working...
                              X