Cue Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue Wanted

Here's the deal, I have purchased about 15 different cues of different specs over the last 16 months or so by a lot of the top makers but i keep reverting back to my first cue which i seem to play better with, Its an old bce painted and lacquered piece of fire wood which i love playing with but can't stand the sight of. I am now looking for a better cue to the exact specifications of this one or as close to as possible and if i don't get on with it i will probably just stick with the old bce for good.

Specs:
    Length - 57.25''
    Tip - 9.3mm
    Butt - 30mm
    Balance point - 19''
    Weight - 18oz
    Shaft Stiffness - Medium with good response

New or very good used condition

Makes me laugh reading this - but I have done the same thing.

I am wondering do you spend enough time getting used to a new cue before going back to the old one?

Comment

I hope you ordered those custom cues with that 19" balance point, as otherwise every cue will feel odd to you as most cues are balanced at 16-17"

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Unfortunately you could order 10 cues at those same specs and maybe only one would feel 'right' to you.

Best to travel and spend a day at Green Baize. Stu will let you try as many cues as you want with different tip combinations etc.

Comment

I wished I never smashed my old barracuda up in a temper as that suited me really well.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
            Makes me laugh reading this - but I have done the same thing.

I am wondering do you spend enough time getting used to a new cue before going back to the old one?

Lol, yeah i caught the bug and went a bit crazy. Most of the cues i gave 5-6 weeks of regular practice some less as they felt terrible but even after 6 weeks of regular play i would try the old bce again which i maybe hadn't touched for 6 weeks and instantly i would feel more comfortable with it. Im in Ireland so can't really visit stores

Comment

Originally Posted by gmoore23 View Post
              Lol, yeah i caught the bug and went a bit crazy. Most of the cues i gave 5-6 weeks of regular practice some less as they felt terrible but even after 6 weeks of regular play i would try the old bce again which i maybe hadn't touched for 6 weeks and instantly i would feel more comfortable with it. Im in Ireland so can't really visit stores
              I am coming to the conclusion its not the cue its the player being to used to something pap - maybe you should and I should give it more time to get used to a new cue - I have a bad do blame it on the cue and get rid - cheaper to blame the tip going to try that next

My new years resolution next year is to get five or six cues or a dozen - or how ever long it takes keep them all and then out of them pick the best one for me and stick to it for life - sick of swapping and changing - it's doing my head in.

The reason you go back to the bce and I go back to my pap one is because they are not worth anything to sell - so we keep em and sell the ones that are worth something and we end up getting overly attached to firewood.

Comment

I also think a problem is sticking to a certain spec as though that is all you can play with. The trouble with this is you are literally trying to copy your old cue in terms of size, weight, the only thing is you want your new cue to play like your old one, and that is never going to happen, trust me on this!

You are better getting away from the spec you are used to and go for a longer cue and not compare whatever cue you get to your old one. Even 4-5 weeks is not a huge amount of time for a player to adapt to a new cue. Even many pros for instance rarely click straight away with a new cue.
                Shaun Murphy played pretty poor when he had his new cue to replace his old one but is not reaping the rewards by sticking by the new cue although its taken him nearly a season to fully adapt.

To prove a point I played most of my best stuff with a 9.2mm 1pc Parris traditional. It was 17.7oz, 56.75" and balanced at 17". I knew the cue was a little on the short side for me and tried numerous cues to replace it, like you kept going back to the old cue. The problem was I was ordering cues around 57-57.25" with similar spec and no cue played like my old one.
                This year I decided to go for a completely new spec, 58", 18.5oz, 9.4mm maximus ultimate.

My game is now back to somewhere near the level of my best years some 10 years ago. I have confidence in the cue and now when I try my old Parris out I can't believe I used to play with it. You must adapt to a new cue and persevere with it because eventually it will click into place. Of course it also depends on the standard you play to or more importantly the standard you want to play to.

Comment

Originally Posted by gmoore23 View Post
                  Here's the deal, I have purchased about 15 different cues of different specs over the last 16 months or so by a lot of the top makers but i keep reverting back to my first cue which i seem to play better with, Its an old bce painted and lacquered piece of fire wood which i love playing with but can't stand the sight of. I am now looking for a better cue to the exact specifications of this one
                  Why don't you send the old BCE to a cuemaker and get him to take the paint off, splice on some nice ebony with some exotic hardwood splices and give the shaft a good seeing to as well. It's pretty easy to do and your old crappy painted jobby will look a whole lot better and perform the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X