Burroughes and Watts cues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burroughes and Watts cues...

I mentioned to a snooker acquaintance today that I was seeking to replace my Burroughes and Watts cue (a "Eureka", I believe c.1950) that was stolen some 40 years ago. He gave his opinion that the cues produced following the Company's resurrection in the 1980s are no longer made to the same standard and - his words - "don't have the same cachet" as the originals.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone who uses a later/existing production B & W cue.

Many thanks.

iv heard good things of bw cues. i even had a very interesting chat about the current owner of burroughes and watts, the working partnership they had many years ago and their bitter falling out..
    they warned me well away from the current occupier of the brand

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      iv heard good things of bw cues. i even had a very interesting chat about the current owner of burroughes and watts, the working partnership they had many years ago and their bitter falling out..
      they warned me well away from the current occupier of the brand
      Interesting, thanks. Seeing you mention "bw" I wonder if my acquaintance this morning was confusing Burroughs and Watts with B&W Birmingham?

Comment

bw are good to talk, give'm a call

Comment

bw are good to talk, give'm a call
          I may well do that, thanks ... They're in Sutton Coldfield and can be visited.

Comment

no, thats not bw cues thats bourroghes & watts. please read my posts again

Comment

no, thats not bw cues thats bourroghes & watts. please read my posts again
              Sorry, perhaps I didn't phrase it correctly ... I was suggesting my friend was confusing the two companies!

Comment

okay well the geeza in coldfield don't make anything

Comment

Thanks again ... that was the kind of information I was looking for.

Comment

Are you saying Burroughes & Watts don't make cues anymore ?
                    I have one of their cues I had made about 18 years ago - contacted them recently to have a 1pc cue made with the same specs. They assured me it will be handmade on their premises (I asked). Is B&W in Birmingham a newer company related to them as part of the falling out you mentioned ?

Comment

things may have changed, and theres no harm in making a few phone calls to find out
                      Originally Posted by strobbekoen View Post
                      I have one of their cues I had made about 18 years ago - contacted them recently to have a 1pc cue made with the same specs. They assured me it will be handmade on their premises (I asked). Is B&W in Birmingham a newer company related to them as part of the falling out you mentioned ?

Comment

Come on, you posted that you had been warned to stay well away from them and that they don't make anything, so please explain what you meant.

Comment

The original Burroughes and watts was bought out by Riley in the late 60's. Basically anything since then has been people trying to cash in on the original name.

Comment

Is that from your own experience ?
                            The cue they made for me was top quality and as good and straight today as the day i got it.

Comment

Is that from your own experience ?
                              The cue they made for me was top quality and as good and straight today as the day i got it.
                              Not saying the cues are not good quality as they could well be, but they are not the burroughes and watts that produced the mannock, the champion, eureka, old ashe etc. They're just using the name as a platform as its a name people know, same as that company that's using the hunt & o'byrne name who have nothing to do with the original company.

Comment

Working...
                              X