This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
    There are many cue makers who never test their cues so it is great to see someone doing QT. Customers at Parris can test their cues on a table when they pick them up and JP will do what he can, to an extent but what you've done here is above and beyond and is a good thing to see. I know you are a good player so if the cue ain't right for you, it probably ain't right for anyone. Respect.
    Graeme Dott won the WC using a cue that was made with diseased shaft wood, IIRC Andy Gibbs tried to dissuade Graeme against buying/using the cue, but he was adamant that he liked it. What makes a "good" cue is subjective and relies entirely on what the player wants from it.

Comment

It's 100% fact, he tests the cues and if they don't play right, they don't make the post. And for that, he deserves some respect.
      Originally Posted by MattCash View Post
      Graeme Dott won the WC using a cue that was made with diseased shaft wood, IIRC Andy Gibbs tried to dissuade Graeme against buying/using the cue, but he was adamant that he liked it. What makes a "good" cue is subjective and relies entirely on what the player wants from it.
      dott would of liked the resonance of the cue regarless, and that what makes a desent cue.. players can appriciate many cues with differing vibes, so its possible to be objective. i am every time i pick one up

Comment

• just a few pics for the cat before the cue takes off

Comment

• an i think the next to come through will be another butterfly splice

Comment

• nice work mate! thank you very much!
            Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            just a few pics for the cat before the cue takes off

Comment

• manage to get a fine accurate cut on my second butterfly

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                manage to get a fine accurate cut on my second butterfly

So is the main advantage just less work? I'm guessing so, two splices instead of four. The look will be interesting but paramount will be how it differs if at all, from playing like a four splice. Your test feedback will be informative.

Comment

• I really like the way your ash shafts appear to be plain. One reason I play with maple is because I find the chevrons distracting on ash cues, this seems to be worse on modern cues as makers seem to want to make the chevrons darker and more pronounced. Just a personal opinion but I think I would find it easier playing with an ash cue finished your way.

Comment

• Originally Posted by rdsalt View Post
                    I really like the way your ash shafts appear to be plain. One reason I play with maple is because I find the chevrons distracting on ash cues, this seems to be worse on modern cues as makers seem to want to make the chevrons darker and more pronounced. Just a personal opinion but I think I would find it easier playing with an ash cue finished your way.
                    How about a white ash cue, could that work even better for you?

Comment

So is the main advantage just less work? I'm guessing so, two splices instead of four. The look will be interesting but paramount will be how it differs if at all, from playing like a four splice. Your test feedback will be informative.
                      Originally Posted by rdsalt View Post
                      I really like the way your ash shafts appear to be plain. One reason I play with maple is because I find the chevrons distracting on ash cues, this seems to be worse on modern cues as makers seem to want to make the chevrons darker and more pronounced. Just a personal opinion but I think I would find it easier playing with an ash cue finished your way.
                      Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                      How about a white ash cue, could that work even better for you?
                      work load is the same an in many ways you need to be more precise. as for the play i feel no differance between all splices only in the woods used.
                      these two should be finished next week

Comment

• Amazing work as always!
                        I have a MW butterfly cut 1 piece classic ebony and maple pool cue which i absolutely love but trying it against similar classic 4 splice cues of a similar spec hasnt yielded any differences in terms of how it plays i can put down to the 2 vs 4 splice design.I will be doing a short review of my 3 cues shortly if anyone is interested.
                        Thanks Tom

Comment

• Originally Posted by brookst View Post
                          Amazing work as always!
                          I have a MW butterfly cut 1 piece classic ebony and maple pool cue which i absolutely love but trying it against similar classic 4 splice cues of a similar spec hasnt yielded any differences in terms of how it plays i can put down to the 2 vs 4 splice design.I will be doing a short review of my 3 cues shortly if anyone is interested.
                          Thanks Tom
                          Sounds good. Should be interesting.

Comment

• cut one of the two butterfly spliced cues down and now at the first stage of the fine planing. 18" with 8" long sharp splices, 57.25/9 an im looking to get it to around 29.5ish

Comment

• Great post time Jas

That looks as straight as an arrow .
                              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Perfectttttttttttttt! Though you haven't got a plane in the picture and even if you had, can we be sure you planed it? Maybe you planted the shavings in previous pics and have a lathe outside? LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X