• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Do you still make the odd cue at all?
    Still tinker yes and they turn out odd

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
      Dont think they would be up to the job,you need travelling steadies and the like+ it helps to have router set ups on the tool stock
      So can one buy a low speed high torque motor to make a lathe on a bench. You know, a dead end with a spindle and a motor with a spindle at the active end (length between the two adjustable) and away you go, turn, turn, turn, slow. Chisel. I'm not saying it would be super accurate, but for the rough cutting stage, squares to first rounds?
      Last edited by Master Blaster; 13 June 2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
        Cool, nice one MW, great skills.

But.....................what's the point of using an electric plane, may as well go the lathe route instead golf?

Ok, maybe if the wood does move on the lathe, you have to reset the billet and restart so any time saving is lost?

But isn't it safer than an electric plane?
        Electric plane is probably quicker than the lathe MB. By the time you set the lathe up and started turning the blank you should be finished with the plane (especially the way Mike was going!). Also to get a lathe at least 60 inches between centres would cost a fortune.
        Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
          So can one buy a low speed high torque motor to make a lathe on a bench. You know, a dead end with a spindle and a motor with a spindle at the active end (length between the two adjustable) and away you go, turn, turn, turn, slow. Chisel. I'm not saying it would be super accurate, but for the rough cutting stage, squares to first rounds?
          Not as simple as that mb,you get deflection as the wood gets thinner,on a cue length you need steadies and no chisels I'm afraid its a tool stock jobbie

Comment

• It is possible to turn a 1 piece cue on a lathe without steadies.
            The speed and feed are critical to stop vibration and too much deflection.
            As golferson said a router is used and not chisels.
            You don't need a lathe with 60" between centres as you can produce in two halves, but to reduce distortion you ideally do need to hold the wood between centres and not between a chuck and centre.
            Sorry for going off topic j6. Nice work BTW, never seen anyone show producing a butterfly splice on here before. Interesting, thanks.

Comment

• Originally Posted by YDJ View Post
              It is possible to turn a 1 piece cue on a lathe without steadies.
              The speed and feed are critical to stop vibration and too much deflection.
              As golferson said a router is used and not chisels.
              You don't need a lathe with 60" between centres as you can produce in two halves, but to reduce distortion you ideally do need to hold the wood between centres and not between a chuck and centre.
              Sorry for going off topic j6. Nice work BTW, never seen anyone show producing a butterfly splice on here before. Interesting, thanks.
              Thanks for the technical.

J6 producing a shark, no idea where he got that idea from. lol I've never understood the attraction of butterfly when splicing leads to more shaft getting to the butt end. Same with machine splicing, seems wrong. Sorry J6! But he does do a great butterfly job.
              Last edited by Master Blaster; 14 June 2015, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by old school View Post
                Has leaving the splice fingers shorter, on the second cue , pushed the b.p up or down in comparison to the first , with longer fingers , or have you managed to keep them similar ?
                i don´t feel that has made much of a diff but the second cue has a heavier shaft

Comment

• these have been sitting around over sized for about 10 months and today i cut them down closer to the octagon cutting stage. so far so good

Last edited by j6uk; 26 June 2015, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Some lovely 1-pieces coming down the line mate? How long between cuts do you leave them stabilise?

Comment

• it depends this is the third cut, but i dont think there going anywhere so i'll go straight into the octagon this week.. these are the 6 of 12 i cut from the same log and from the other 6 only a few moved, even then i got them back. those others should be ready for their final shaping within a few weeks

Comment

• first one of the six down to the octagon, dims: 61/34/14

Comment

• 3 cuts and resting, this ain't no cheap Thai or Chinese cue, this is an M&S cue!
                          Last edited by Master Blaster; 24 June 2015, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• 5 of the 6 done and the other move a bit so i left it alone. i will cut them down an round them off to over size in a few weeks

Comment

• Nice one j notice theres no centre marks in your cues unlike one of our more celebrated hand made cue maker!

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                                Nice one j notice theres no centre marks in your cues unlike one of our more celebrated hand made cue maker!
                                What could you mean?! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X