butt diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• butt diameter

How do i correctly measure the diameter of the cue butt?

Which place shall i measure?

butt diameter

You have to buy one of these to measure up mate..

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321473540653&alt=web

Comment

Hi screw, yes forget to mention i got a vernier already. Just that on which part of the butt should i measure to get a correct dimension.

I am placing an order for a new cue and i want the butt diameter to be slightly smaller than my current cue.

Comment

butt diameter

Just the begining part of the butt as that will be the thickest part. Id normally have the flat facing up and then measure from left to right.

Comment

Originally Posted by tofushop193 View Post
          Hi screw, yes forget to mention i got a vernier already. Just that on which part of the butt should i measure to get a correct dimension.

I am placing an order for a new cue and i want the butt diameter to be slightly smaller than my current cue.
          Have you tried a slimmer butt before? It may take some getting used to, even if it's a difference of 0.5mm from your normal cue.

I use a digital caliper for measurements. Never quite know how to read those manual ones...
          When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I also use digital calipers across the widest part of the butt, near the bottom
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

this iswere it gets interesting for me cus yes you can take a digital reading of the back of the cue, but whats important for the player? the back or the part that they hold the cue from? this would be about 4" up from the very end of the cue.
              Last edited by j6uk; 15 January 2015, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I tried a slimer cue butt before. I remember it was 28.5 and i felt morr comfortable. I think my current one is at 29.6. I am thinking to make my new one to 29mm

Comment

J6 i hold the cue just above the badge. Maybe i should measure that part

Comment

Digital calipers.. from the OD widest sides.. that way you will get your reading example |-29mm-|
                    Yours in Cue Sports

Warren

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                      this iswere it gets interesting for me cus yes you can take a digital reading of the back of the cue, but whats important for the player? the back or the part that they hold the cue from? this would be about 4" up from the very end of the cue.
                      When asked for specifications for a cue to be made your measurement given for butt is always the base of the butt (unless you note that you want it to be say, 29mm @ 4" from base of butt) that could pose a problem though as the base of the butt may be 31mm if you want a certain size OD further up the butt)
                      Yours in Cue Sports

Warren

Comment

well its about the taper. so you could ask for a 30mm butt and be done with it cus most makers are following a similar taper template. if you've been around long enough you'll remember that cues didn't always look or feel the same, so a lot of the old billiards stuff would have more of a flared taper or should i say it didn't straighten up from the bottom of the splices. so what you get from that as a player is on shot completion when closing the back of the hand, there is a fuller feeling inside the so called grip. all this could be considered
                        enjoy
                        Originally Posted by Wazza180 View Post
                        When asked for specifications for a cue to be made your measurement given for butt is always the base of the butt (unless you note that you want it to be say, 29mm @ 4" from base of butt) that could pose a problem though as the base of the butt may be 31mm if you want a certain size OD further up the butt)

Comment

Working...
                        X