Loose ferrule ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose ferrule ?

Recently bought a mastercue pyragon when playing its perfect but tap the cue with my hand and there's a slight vibration as if the ferrule is a bit loose. Are there any home remadies to fix it without having to pull if off and re glue it as I'm not confident enough to do that.

Ive been told to take tip off and leave the ferrule in some water over night so that the wood swells is this a good idea ?

Originally Posted by dave121260 View Post
    .... Ive been told to take tip off and leave the ferrule in some water over night so that the wood swells is this a good idea ?
    Who the hell told you that ?? DON'T DO IT

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      I will second this, Dont Do It.
      I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Some old guy at the pub lol said he'd done it to a few cues.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Could well be just the tip, take it off, sand it flat, then re glue it back on, if it was the ferrule then the glue might be sufficient to hold it

Comment

Could well be just the tip, take it off, sand it flat, then re glue it back on, if it was the ferrule then the glue might be sufficient to hold it
            If you grab the ferrule with your fingers and can turn it right or left you will need to remove by turning left and pulling, clean inside the ferrule with steel wool, put lots of glue and put back on turning right, you might need some pliers to do this. Make sure it is turned all the way in, dont over do it. remove excess glue with damp rag, let it dry for a day. replace your tip, Hopefully this worked and you dont get that stupid sound when playing. Cheers

Comment

It could also be a loose weight fitted inside the end of the butt of your cue, this I would get fixed by a pro. Cheers

Comment

Thanks guys it's definatly not the tip it's the second tip ive put on and don't think its the weight either the sound is coming from near the tip of the cue. Doesn't affect the shot or make a noise on the shot so will prob just leave it as it is until it gets worse if it gets worse.

Comment

Remove tip and see if you can turn the ferrule by hand. If you want to remove it then heat it up with a lighter and then using pliers remove the tip as sharkster says above. Clean everything up and then slather the tenon with epoxy cement and screw the ferrule back on as per sharkster. File everything flat the next day and install a good tip.
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

It's also good if you insert the ferrule back in same position as it was before removing it. So, after you have removed the tip, make a mark with pencil to the top surface of the cue and the ferrule. And when you glue the ferrule back, make sure marks in cue and ferrule will match together. TW gave this hint to me when I had the same problem.

Comment

On closer inspection i think it might be the joint. If I take it apart and tap just the shaft without the butt it doesn't make a noise at all same with the butt, but put it back together and the noise comes back. I've cleaned it up with wire wool and it is now gleaming but noticed there was a screw inside the joint on the butt is this suppose to be there ??
                      Last edited by dave121260; 19 January 2015, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Here's a picture of the screw

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/...psq4kteswh.jpg

Comment

Anybody else on here have a mastercue they could check to see if they got a screw in the butt of there cue as pictured above.

Comment

worked on a master cue and it was the same as your pic

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                              worked on a master cue and it was the same as your pic

Ok thanks. It's Baffling me what it could be lol

Comment

Working...
                              X