Warped Parris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warped Parris

Hi, just dug out my approx 17 year old Parris...it now seems to be warped slightly at tip end..probably not unplayable but noticeable when on roll test....anyone know if anything could be done?

Steam it or leave it and adapt to it . A " roll test " wont tell you if a cue is straight.Sighting down the cue from the butt is the only way to see if a cue is straight or not. Lest we forget , one of the greatest exponents of cue sports , namely a certain Mr.S.Hendry won most of his titles with a cue that could not be considered , in any way shape or form , straight.
    Last edited by old school; 18 January 2015, 11:43 AM. Reason: addendum

Comment

I have never quite understood why it's said that the roll test won't tell you if a cue is straight or not. Surely if a cue is dead straight then it will roll true, in fact, the way I see it, if it's not straight then it can't roll true.

Perhaps somebody would care to explain.

Comment

Originally Posted by two-cues View Post
        I have never quite understood why it's said that the roll test won't tell you if a cue is straight or not. Surely if a cue is dead straight then it will roll true, in fact, the way I see it, if it's not straight then it can't roll true.

A corkscrew would roll straight does that explain why not to go by roll test.

Comment

Originally Posted by two-cues View Post

The chamfer(flat on the butt) can make a cue wobble when rolled, also the taper especially with a hand made cue can make the cue wobble, sighting down the cue is the only way to know if a cue is straight or not

Comment

Warped Parris

any piccies of the cue
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
              The chamfer(flat on the butt) can make a cue wobble when rolled, also the taper especially with a hand made cue can make the cue wobble, sighting down the cue is the only way to know if a cue is straight or not
              and the joint if it has one
              so if it rolls without wobble, it would be straight (i guess), if it wobbles on roll test, doesn't necessarily mean it's bent.

Comment

weigh in different places shaped differently also not actually an even taper anyway lots of reasons - rolling cues tells you the same as staring at tea leaves.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

look down the cue from the tip end of the cue and bend the baby back

Comment

I will try take some pics....ive always used roll test so guess ive learnt something now..will roll just tip end see if that rolls true maybe?

Comment

Originally Posted by cueboy777 View Post
                      I will try take some pics....ive always used roll test so guess ive learnt something now..will roll just tip end see if that rolls true maybe?
                      stop rolling things! hold cue under your dominant eye and rotate slowly you will see if there are any bends etc
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        stop rolling things!
                        ROFL, this is exactly what I said to a player I coach
                        You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
                        BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Just rolling it while looking down the length of the cue alone doesn't tell the whole story. But if you sight down the cue and think there's something there, then roll the cue while looking side on and locate the bend by watching the gap between the top part of the cue and the cloth they will often correlate. A lot of cues have a concave taper so they are rolling on the tip and some point further down the shaft (Andy's corkscrew point). That actually conceals a bend so you need to look side on and owners of 9 ball cues do this all the time.

But having said all of that, it's also worth adding that Hendry was a really lethal long potter with that warped cue of his. Even with a very significant warp, if you cue properly with a long bridge the bent part doesn't affect your ability to send the tip on a straight path because your bridge is a good 12 inches from the tip at the time of striking the ball.
                          Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Working...
                          X