Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• balance point

Hello,

My cue is 510g (18oz), 58", 9.3mm with a balance point at 17.7" I measured it balancing it out on a cylinder so it should be pretty accurate.
    Now I got another cue with same specs but the balance point is at 16". It feels butt heavy and I am definitely a lot less accurate on long distance shots or power shots.
    What's your opinion on this ?

I am like you, much prefer a balance point around 17" to 18", 16" just feels wrong to me, too far back and you get the tip "lifting" on some shots.
    When buying a cue always ask for balance point as it can make a cue feel totally different to another even if same weight

Comment

I spent years playing with a cue with a balance point of 16" and thought that was okay. Eventually switching to cues balanced between 17" and 17.5" took some getting used to but now that's what I prefer.

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
        I spent years playing with a cue with a balance point of 16" and thought that was okay. Eventually switching to cues balanced between 17" and 17.5" took some getting used to but now that's what I prefer.
        yeah, u can get used to anything but do you play any better with the more forward balanced cue? I'm playing the best snooker of my life with a cue balanced at 16" but i just wonder if i could be playing even better with a more forward balance. I can't see how it makes that much difference as long as its not too extreme like 14 or 19 inch

Comment

it depends in many ways on the flex in the shaft, but yes for an 18oz at 58 16bp may feel a bit odd. if it was under 17oz i could see the cue playing quite well. those dims would be fine if the cue was 57"
          what cue is this and where did you get it from?
          Last edited by j6uk; 25 January 2015, 08:24 AM.

Comment

It's a Maximus Ultimate -the seller has suggested to exchange it. I should have asked about before I got it actually, just assumed it would be 17"ish.
            What do you mean that it depends on the flex in the shaft ?
            I check the "spring" in the shaft by holding it at about 6" above the butt end and hitting the butt end against my hip.
            @matt, a balance point of 16" or 17.5" does make a big difference how a cue feels.

Comment

I think 16 inch balance pt cue is good for fast swing as it let you feel lighter than 17, and maybe better at screw shots. 17 pt gives better feel at playign stun shots.

Comment

flex, give, wippyness, or resonance is how stiff the shaft is

Comment

if the cue feels that dull on the table then id come to 57
                  your move it on, some players like a dull hit
                  Last edited by j6uk; 25 January 2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                    it depends in many ways on the flex in the shaft, but yes for an 18oz at 58 16bp may feel a bit odd. if it was under 17oz i could see the cue playing quite well. those dims would be fine if the cue was 57"
                    what cue is this and where did you get it from?
                    do you think a light cue works well with a balance further back then?

Comment

well it will make the cue feel a bit heavier in the so called grip hand, which maybe important for some. all the variables are possible but it always comes down to the wood

Comment

i used a 3/4 cue 17.5oz 57" and 22"bp. that cue almost perfect...
                        with great balance between the butt weight, shaft flex to the tip. that cue cracked years ago...

now i am playing with 1pc cue with bp at 17".... i still prefer the 22bp feeling i must admit but then most cuemakers told me that they do not have the equipment to drill a 22" hole in a 1pc cue. the max is +-19"bp. and so i adjust my play style and get use to 17"bp.... unless I pick up a 3/4 cue again...

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          I am like you, much prefer a balance point around 17" to 18", 16" just feels wrong to me, too far back and you get the tip "lifting" on some shots.
                          When buying a cue always ask for balance point as it can make a cue feel totally different to another even if same weight
                          If you order one from JP or TW,will you provide them with an exactly balance point?

Comment

Originally Posted by madforg View Post
                            If you order one from JP or TW,will you provide them with an exactly balance point?
                            Yes if you know what you want,ask for it

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              Yes if you know what you want,ask for it
                              In my experience, they wont guarantee it, but will do their best to get as close as possible. .

Comment

Working...
                              X