Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken my cue!

Hi folks

Just need a bit of advice if possible. Basically I've got into the van with cue in hand and closed the door on it taking the top of it clean off!
    I'd had a few beers at the time so wasn't concentrating!! It was a 58 inch cue, but now the longest it can be is 53 inches.
    It's no good for snooker anymore, but if possible I plan to use it for pool as it seems like a nice length for pool.

It needs a new ferrule, probably a 9mm I'll go for but obviously the cues taper is too wide and needs reducing. So my question is: Is this something
    that could be done by hand sanding down to the size I need? I understand it's going to take alot of work to try and do it that way.

failing that. how much do you guys think it would cost to have someone in the trade to do the repair? thats if it can be done or even worth doing.
    Thanks for any advice guys.

tried to get a pic on but cant seem to get the pic to down to the right size for the forum to accept it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Eddie41085; 24 January 2015, 08:02 PM.

Can't you make it a jointed cue? Add a joint and get a butt made?

Comment

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
      Can't you make it a jointed cue? Add a joint and get a butt made?
      Hi Jono. Yes its already a 3/4 jointed cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by Eddie41085 View Post
        Hi Jono. Yes its already a 3/4 jointed cue.
        Could just get it lengthened and the shaft tapered to make it a 58" again.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
          Could just get it lengthened and the shaft tapered to make it a 58" again.
          Can't see that working out at all, butt would be 5" min longer than before !!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Can't see that working out at all, butt would be 5" min longer than before !!!!
            Had it done to cues before, players like white and stevens probably have at least that much added to their cues as well. I had a short shaft a few years back and had a butt made for it, ended up being 21" to the joint with a butt length of 27" overall, played pretty well though a bit heavy at almost 19oz.
            Last edited by narl; 24 January 2015, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
              Had it done to cues before, players like white and stevens probably have at least that much added to their cues as well.
              But not advisable, 5" of ebony gonna weigh a lot !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                But not advisable, 5" of ebony gonna weigh a lot !!!
                Doesn't have to be ebony though, 4 rosewood splices or something along those lines

This is the cue i had lengthened, belongs to terry Davidson now:

Big old Butt
                Last edited by narl; 24 January 2015, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Well the cue was too long for me to start with anyway, so if I was going to get it lengthened then I'd be looking to have it around 56 inches maybe even less. Just thought of having it re tapered at the size it is now to take a 9mm ferrule and use it for pool? It's a good excuse to get a new cue for snooker anyway!

Comment

Doesn't have to be that heavy. You could possibly drill into the ebony from the butt to make it lighter.

Comment

I would recommend taking it to a cue repair man and having him taper the broken shaft and put a new ferrule on for you. Then use that shaft just for going out and playing pool. Then get a new shaft for playing snooker.
                      “Thus so wretched is man that he would weary even without any cause for weariness... and so frivolous is he that, though full of a thousand reasons for weariness, the least thing, such as playing billiards or hitting a ball, is sufficient enough to amuse him.” Mr. Blaise Pascal

Comment

What you have suggested is possible,

Cost between £20 upwards depending on where you went.

I agree with above post, if its already 3/4, you can get new shaft and keep familar butt feeling.

Comment

Thanks for all input. Any cue makers or cue doctors on here that could give me a price to do the work? I want it tapered down to take and fit a ferrule for a 9mm tip. I live in the mole valley area if that helps. Pm me of course.
                          Cheers.

Comment

Cue makers websites give prices for the types of jobs

Off the top of me head, these have prices wright cues, robin cues, mastercraft, coutts cues

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                              Cue makers websites give prices for the types of jobs

Off the top of me head, these have prices wright cues, robin cues, mastercraft, coutts cues
                              Thanks for the info jaffa. I'll check them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X