Ash wood grain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash wood grain

Do tight grain or loose grain, and more/less arrows tend to illustrate certain behaviours?

I do not see any difference at all, by change hard/soft tips only is fine enough and adapt to the cue.

Some people say loose grain gives better power, tight grains give better flex.

I have always been curious about this myself. Any cue makers out there that would have a accurate answer?
    “Thus so wretched is man that he would weary even without any cause for weariness... and so frivolous is he that, though full of a thousand reasons for weariness, the least thing, such as playing billiards or hitting a ball, is sufficient enough to amuse him.” Mr. Blaise Pascal

Comment

Cosmetic only. Well it is psychological too.

I know Nic Barrow only likes sharp chevrons.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Generally speaking with ash, with a 'looser' grain the shaft will be stiffer as there is a greater amount of the denser part of the ash. Similarly a tight grain will flex more as there is more 'soft' ash. However you can be lucky and find a stiff tight grained cue and that is my personal preference.

Comment

I wonder if cue-makers hate the fact people want a certain number of chevrons on a cue for example because it makes it so difficult to find the right piece of ash or if they are happy that people want certain cosmetics so they can charge extra for select shafts?

It would increase the waiting time for sure if people want select shafts

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
          I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Working...
          X