Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebony of snooker cue

Hi guys,

I was wondering if the length the ebony that joined the shaft of snooker cue is the same for all cue makers? Can the length of the ebony be shorten? If yes, can will it affect the our cue action when using it? Thanks.

Well, I think so !!! depends on what suits your game !!! and the balance point of the cue. If You mean by the length of ebony > the length of the button, then each cue maker can make it shorter or longer. that is No problem !!! A 3/4 cue with 20 inch Balans point has usually longer button than a cue button with 16 inch BP !!! Wther your cue action gonna be affected by that ,is something personal !! you have to play with it and see if it suits your game !!

Comment

generally the cue spindles are about 18 ins x 1 1/2, but you can get bigger pieces.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
        generally the cue spindles are about 18 ins x 1 1/2, but you can get bigger pieces.
        Longer splices can naturally increase the weight of the cue as ebony is pretty dense. I'd have them as far up as the cue maker could take them. Adding weight this way is far better than lumping a piece of lead in there and turning into a hammer. By adding ebony at 1.3 relative density to ash (0.7 relative density) you can move the balance point up the cue with really long splices.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
          Longer splices can naturally increase the weight of the cue as ebony is pretty dense. I'd have them as far up as the cue maker could take them. Adding weight this way is far better than lumping a piece of lead in there and turning into a hammer. By adding ebony at 1.3 relative density to ash (0.7 relative density) you can move the balance point up the cue with really long splices.
          Think it would have the opposite effect as the ebony would become thicker at the bottom

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
            Think it would have the opposite effect as the ebony would become thicker at the bottom
            With the ash being cut on four sides down to a square end as standard, I was thinking of the thickness at the bottom being the same, just that the splices would be longer and the taper of the splices would be narrower if you know what I mean, so the splices would go further up. Maybe a cue maker/expert/collector can let us know.

I think I'd just like to see more ebony on the cue as well. Love that timber.

Comment

Golferson is correct as to achieve longer splices you have to plane deeper into the ash for the length of the splice, therefore there is more ebony further down the butt. As jim has said most blanks come in at around 18" to get anything much longer than that in the same quality would be disproportionally expensive in comparison.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                Golferson is correct as to achieve longer splices you have to plane deeper into the ash for the length of the splice, therefore there is more ebony further down the butt. As jim has said most blanks come in at around 18" to get anything much longer than that in the same quality would be disproportionally expensive in comparison.
                Is this because the splices would fall off if too thin and long? It's only glue holding them on I know. Or is it because of the minimum cut of the plane?

Comment

Think ok Mike wooldridges website he states he uses 20inch ebony splices for his legend range

Comment

Is this because the splices would fall off if too thin and long? It's only glue holding them on I know. Or is it because of the minimum cut of the plane?
                    You cannot move the balance point up the cue that way,any weight added must be placed above the balance point to do that

Comment

Cue i had a while back had a 27" butt with the joint around the 21" mark. 19oz. Had to be lengthened to be that length because the shaft was broken and much shorter than it would have been.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                        Cue i had a while back had a 27" butt with the joint around the 21" mark. 19oz. Had to be lengthened to be that length because the shaft was broken and much shorter than it would have been.
                        What was that like to use mate? Nearly half the cue in hardwood, wowsers.

Comment

What was that like to use mate? Nearly half the cue in hardwood, wowsers.
                          Wasn't too bad actually, Terry Davidson has it now, or at least thats who it was sold on to. Just kept being told by people that 19oz was too heavy and i think that just put me off it.

Pic of it here, really insanely long butt that parris cues had to extend to make up the length, apparently the ebony squares they stock are only around 19" or so.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gerald.marley/cue2/lb3.jpg

Comment

heres one i was on with ,still possable a mannock,25 in ebony butt with 9 in fingers,,.

Comment

Working...
                            X