Do any of the Pros play with centre jointed cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any of the Pros play with centre jointed cues

I just wondered of any of the pro players still use a centre jointed two piece ? they appear to have somewhat gone out of fashion watched lots of snooker on T.V. but cant say I have seen one only in a very old video of Dennis Taylor.

Not that I've seen, last one i'm near sure was Quinten Hann. 1 piece or 3/4 is the order of the day and has been since the late 80's. Even Taylor at one point was using a 3/4 cue, but he seems to revert to his 2 piece on the legends tour.

Comment

The last top pro that I can remember using a centre split cue was Alan McManus, at one stage it was held together with insulation tape.

I think he uses a different cue now though.

Comment

Originally Posted by itx View Post
        The last top pro that I can remember using a centre split cue was Alan McManus, at one stage it was held together with insulation tape.

I think he uses a different cue now though.
        You sure that wasn't just the white plastic collar joint?

Comment

I think most of the Canadians did in the 80's and I noticed Cliff used one in the Legends tournament/exhibition. John Spencer won 1 of his titles with an Adam Custom and Dennis Taylor did use one for awhile but I think because of endorsements.

Even here in Canada they are a lot less common than they used to be. Hell, I even used one for awhile in my early days.
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

For some reason i keep going back to my centre jointed cues (2 of them) even though the 1 piece and 3/4 cues ive had felt and looked more professional. For me it seems i just seem to play better with a centre jointed i guess? I have even been thinking lately if it would be possible for a cuemaker to replicate the butt end of the cue to the exact same spec and have it made with 4 splices of jet black ebony?? That would be good..

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              I think most of the Canadians did in the 80's and I noticed Cliff used one in the Legends tournament/exhibition. John Spencer won 1 of his titles with an Adam Custom and Dennis Taylor did use one for awhile but I think because of endorsements.

Even here in Canada they are a lot less common than they used to be. Hell, I even used one for awhile in my early days.
              Still seems to be a lot of our top players are still using them. Cliff Thorburn, Floyd Ziegler, Jason Williams, Alain Robidux, Fern. Floyd tried my one Peice GBL and loved it but his first comment how do you carry that. Between not wanting to part with there old cue and not wanting a big case they will always play with their old two peice.
              " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
              " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
              http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post

Terry and other members what are the different playing qualities of a two piece cue (If any) WHY DID THEY GO OUT OF FASHION ?
                Last edited by denja; 6 March 2015, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
                  Terry and other members what are the different playing qualities of a two piece cue (If any) WHY DID THEY GO OUT OF FASHION ?
                  Now that is a good question. My guess because of the feel. 3/4 has to feel more solid and a one peice has to be even more solid. I know I can tell a difference in my 3/4 compared to my one Peice. Terry will give us a good answer.
                  " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                  " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                  http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                    You sure that wasn't just the white plastic collar joint?
                    It was tape as the joint was slack, he had it that way for a long time and it won him a large amount of cash.

Comment

I never get my stubble caught in a one piece or 3/4 jointed cue! Good enough reason for me to ditch the half joint ��

Comment

Originally Posted by bradwight View Post
                        I never get my stubble caught in a one piece or 3/4 jointed cue! Good enough reason for me to ditch the half joint ��
                        Yep, I was fine when I was a youngster but these days a two piece plucks my chin hairs.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Working...
                        X