Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lacquer or oil finishing cue

Dear Sir,

Recently i customize a snooker cue. Maker asking whether i want to have a lacquer or oil finishing cue?

Please advice which is better?

I'd go for oil finish, cant beat it if done right!

Comment

Steer clear of lacquer on the shaft, oil is the way to go. As for the butt then in my experience lacquer is grippier than oil, your mileage may vary of course.
      #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Clean and wax mine -

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
          Steer clear of lacquer on the shaft, oil is the way to go. As for the butt then in my experience lacquer is grippier than oil, your mileage may vary of course.
          I have a PP with lacquer at the butt end. Yes, it feels better than oil finish, less slippage. But it can get a bit steamy, so it requires a wipe with a cloth between frames but shafts need to be wiped so it's no biggie. At the moment, I really like a lacquered butt but my other cues don't have one and I like them as well, their feel is different.

Try both out and see how you feel but I'd swerve a lacquered shaft, awful things, you can't accelerate the cue in the same way as an oiled shaft, not possible.

Comment

Oil finish is in the wood and easy to maintain, lacquer is on the wood and can hide a multitude of sins and is also hard to maintain especially when chipped or scratched.

Comment

Oil every time

Comment

Originally Posted by louise sheldon View Post
                Oil finish is in the wood and easy to maintain, lacquer is on the wood and can hide a multitude of sins and is also hard to maintain especially when chipped or scratched.
                Yes, it's used to maintain and highlight all those love 'exotic' timbers on 'hand made' cues by snookerma on ebay!

Comment

Working...
                X