Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
    I have always thought this.

Parris is probably the only 'good' cue maker who has the facility - financial and production - to make batches of 3, 4 or 5 selected cues in a short space of time and just give 'em away.

To clarify a 'good' cue maker, I mean folk like TW, Coutts, Cook, and MW. No offence to anyone I may have missed of course. I couldn't see any of these guys even entertaining doing that (and rightly so IMHO)
    And he seems to like the limelight and ring the praises where the others prob couldnt care less

Comment

Product quality, plus geographical position was what gave John Parris the advantage going back twenty five plus years.

At that time, many of the game's "big name" players were London based, and so, were more likely to use someone who was in that locality. Of course, it was never going to be about location alone, and the product had to stand up in its own right in a quality sense, which Parris's work certainly did. When Hunt and O'Byrne were in town, they were actually more expensive than Parris from what I recall, and were widely seen as the premier maker (although that was subjective and arguably misguided in reality). When they went under, it left Parris as pretty much the last man standing in London, and so he became even more "the thing" when it came to cues of quality. The patronage of what was at the time, the greatest player of the modern era, Steve Davis, also did nothing to harm the image of John Parris, and he took full advantage of it. The fact that cues were (and are) often offered to players who win tournaments (whether junior or senior / amateur or professional) at no charge, is also a major factor in why many will decide to move over from a cue which, up to that point in their playing career, has served them well. The fact that John Parris has a history of serving the game's top level players, ensures that in the minds of those in receipt of "free cues" out of the blue, feel that they are being given a thoroughbred product, endorsed by champions. This has been, and still is, very very clever marketing from John Parris. So, due to the way in which the product has been pushed upon players who were "already" proven winners, and, promoted and aggressively advertised as being the choice of champions, it's little wonder why the majority of the games professional players use the product.

Is it really the case that these are superior cues.?.....no it's not, but, if people can be made to think so, then no matter how it's done, it's worth the effort surely. This has clearly been the mindset of John Parris, and good luck to him.

As was mentioned above, far more players lose, and actually never get near later stages of major tournaments than actually win tournaments with Parris cues. Should we read into this negative perspective view.?...no, we shouldn't. At the end of it all, it's the players who win, not the cues. It was recently discussed about Michael White's win in two tournaments running that he was using a Parris cue. Apparently, congratulations were posted by John Parris, claiming that yet again we have another winner using a Parris cue, when the truth is that the butt is the original Parris part of the cue, but the rest of the cue (the spliced shaft down to the joint) was made by me some years ago after the original was broken. What does that tell us.?....nothing, apart from the fact that Michael is a fantastic talent and a winner. It's Michael that deserves the credit, not John Parris, his products, or the products of anyone else, be that the cue, coaching or whatever.

To me, it's all rather cynical, but I know my view is perhaps not like that of many.

Comment

WOW indeed, another discussion that has turned into an anti Parris bashing! Dear oh dear, some are obsessed with Parris and not in a healthy way.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
          WOW indeed, another discussion that has turned into an anti Parris bashing! Dear oh dear, some are obsessed with Parris and not in a healthy way.

Do you mean "Parris bashing"...or.... "anti-Parris bashing".?

I'm not sure whether either is true of this thread, though I assume you have responded due to my post above.

Read it again, trying to NOT have any bias while doing so. It's not too difficult to notice that I praise his products, understand and appreciate his marketing strategy and wish him good luck with what he has and continues to do.

He set the benchmark for me when I first started making cues. He has his place in the market and deserves it and i would never argue otherwise.

Does that make him THE best of ALL cue makers.???.....Nope, it doesn't. not any more.

That remains a fact, whether anyone has a soft spot for him or not.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
            I can't see anywhere that applies in this thread. Many have stated that JP has, and continues to make great cues. What trevs1 has said is also an accurate and fair perspective on the subject.

Comment

I must admit when Trevor joins in Parris threads he always give nothing but praise to the bear and how he's done well marketing his brand.
              So for me I can't see no bear bashing in this thread whatsoever.

Comment

Wow factor, the cue quality speaks for itself, from the best cue maker in the world.

If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it – then I can achieve it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Powerbus786 View Post
                  Wow factor, the cue quality speaks for itself, from the best cue maker in the world.

[ATTACH]17743[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17744[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17745[/ATTACH]
                  Workmanship yes his cues are spot on, as for the best cue maker in the world that's a statement on an individual basis due what might suit one player might not suit the next player.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                    Product quality, plus geographical position was what gave John Parris the advantage going back twenty five plus years.

At that time, many of the game's "big name" players were London based, and so, were more likely to use someone who was in that locality. Of course, it was never going to be about location alone, and the product had to stand up in its own right in a quality sense, which Parris's work certainly did. When Hunt and O'Byrne were in town, they were actually more expensive than Parris from what I recall, and were widely seen as the premier maker (although that was subjective and arguably misguided in reality). When they went under, it left Parris as pretty much the last man standing in London, and so he became even more "the thing" when it came to cues of quality. The patronage of what was at the time, the greatest player of the modern era, Steve Davis, also did nothing to harm the image of John Parris, and he took full advantage of it. The fact that cues were (and are) often offered to players who win tournaments (whether junior or senior / amateur or professional) at no charge, is also a major factor in why many will decide to move over from a cue which, up to that point in their playing career, has served them well. The fact that John Parris has a history of serving the game's top level players, ensures that in the minds of those in receipt of "free cues" out of the blue, feel that they are being given a thoroughbred product, endorsed by champions. This has been, and still is, very very clever marketing from John Parris. So, due to the way in which the product has been pushed upon players who were "already" proven winners, and, promoted and aggressively advertised as being the choice of champions, it's little wonder why the majority of the games professional players use the product.

Is it really the case that these are superior cues.?.....no it's not, but, if people can be made to think so, then no matter how it's done, it's worth the effort surely. This has clearly been the mindset of John Parris, and good luck to him.

As was mentioned above, far more players lose, and actually never get near later stages of major tournaments than actually win tournaments with Parris cues. Should we read into this negative perspective view.?...no, we shouldn't. At the end of it all, it's the players who win, not the cues. It was recently discussed about Michael White's win in two tournaments running that he was using a Parris cue. Apparently, congratulations were posted by John Parris, claiming that yet again we have another winner using a Parris cue, when the truth is that the butt is the original Parris part of the cue, but the rest of the cue (the spliced shaft down to the joint) was made by me some years ago after the original was broken. What does that tell us.?....nothing, apart from the fact that Michael is a fantastic talent and a winner. It's Michael that deserves the credit, not John Parris, his products, or the products of anyone else, be that the cue, coaching or whatever.

To me, it's all rather cynical, but I know my view is perhaps not like that of many.
                    Very well explained of Parris cue, the man is the master of marketing.

Comment

Just out of interest can anyone remember how long its been since JP made a cue by himself from start to finish?
                      "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
                        Just out of interest can anyone remember how long its been since JP made a cue by himself from start to finish?
                        I guess no one would ever know that for sure except John himself ??

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
                          Trevors cues are absolutely stunning to look at and his craftsmanship is second to none. Those in the know on here regard him as the best in the business. So why don't more Pros use his cues?

It cant really be as has previously suggested because JP gives cues to the top players in return for the publicity. Surely if you were one of the top players in the World you would want a cue off the best maker in the World.
                          lol,, this guy has already enough publicity ( he is makeing cue's for more then 35 yrs ???) !! it's just that pro's ( players ) going to order from a local cue maker !!! and most of the pro's get the opportunity to choose (as Hotpot already mentioned),,, Not saying that his work is poor . cus he ( or his staff , in this case ) still makes sum great cue's !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                            Looks like you have too many WOW factor's , Byrom !! Lol ,,which one is it ?? Make up ur mind !!!
                            I cant - its an illness

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                              lol,, this guy has already enough publicity ( he is makeing cue's for more then 35 yrs ???) !! it's just that pro's ( players ) going to order from a local cue maker !!! and most of the pro's get the opportunity to choose (as Hotpot already mentioned),,, Not saying that his work is poor . cus he ( or his staff , in this case ) still makes sum great cue's !!!
                              I also think turnaround time is a major factor . A pro walks into Parris and asks for a cue. Now he is not going to be waiting 2 years for one is he .

A Pro contacts Trevor White and gets exactly the same service as you or i would . I know a Pro who waited as long as i did for his cues from Trevor .

It's all about the size of the workforce and materials . Trevor is less likely to have something ' In stock ' or on ' The shelf ' . Where as Parris would more than likely have something available .

Still hats off to both cue makers .......great work by Mr Parris to get where he is today and fair play to Trevor for making the name that he has through the industry .

Always wondered what it would be like had H & O survived and marketed their product . Would have been 2 decent cue makers in London i suppose .
                              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Working...
                              X