No announcement yet.

Bog wood v. Air dried ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will an air dried ash cue improve your game?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
      I find them a lot more convincing than you. Sorry to disappoint you. Anyway, isn't this a 'moronic thread' as you put it (nice classy insult by the way), so why are you posting again after saying you wouldn't? Notice how they don't call kiln advocates moronic? That's another reason to have more faith.

Read on people, these guys know what they're talking about.

http://www.stonesriverhardwoods.com/air-dried-wood
      MMmmm so they say 5.5 years for timber to be ready for use. So again, why don't they

say 12 - 24 years ? Something doesn't add up here. If, as you say wood improves with age, then why

stop at 24 years ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
        MMmmm so they say 5.5 years for timber to be ready for use. So again, why don't they

say 12 - 24 years ? Something doesn't add up here. If, as you say wood improves with age, then why

stop at 24 years ?
        Good question, one cue maker has access to a stack of 50 yr old wood apparently. The wood is ready when it's ready and when it sounds right, not at any specific age but 5yrs is a minimum. Each piece is different, has a different density and will sound right and play right when it's ready. If it's for construction or furniture making, it doesn't have to sound right, it merely has to be stable. For cue making, it needs to sound right, irrespective of age. JP said that. So Powerglide decided 12-24yrs. Were they right about the time-frame? Well, it won't hurt to let it mature more than it needs to be on the safe side anyway and I say, they got the time-frame right because those old cues play wonderfully. And because the wood wasn't killed in a kiln, it will carry on maturing.

An air dried cue improves feel. Whether that improves your game Guernsey, only you can tell. For me, yes, above a JPU. Maybe not for others, there's only one way to find out.

* Some people may not like an air-dried feel, who knows, though I've never met anyone who doesn't like it. Each to their own. Whatever makes folk play well and happy is all good. Peace and love to all.
        Last edited by Master Blaster; 10 June 2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I find them a lot more convincing than you. Sorry to disappoint you. Anyway, isn't this a 'moronic thread' as you put it (nice classy insult by the way), so why are you posting again after saying you wouldn't? Notice how they don't call kiln advocates moronic? That's another reason to have more faith.

Read on people, these guys know what they're talking about.

http://www.stonesriverhardwoods.com/air-dried-wood

You are disagreeing with the guys who did the research, not me you numpty.

And yep, it's a moronic thread.

Comment

Good question, one cue maker has access to a stack of 50 yr old wood apparently. The wood is ready when it's ready and when it sounds right, not at any specific age but 5yrs is a minimum. Each piece is different, has a different density and will sound right and play right when it's ready. If it's for construction or furniture making, it doesn't have to sound right, it merely has to be stable. For cue making, it needs to sound right, irrespective of age. JP said that. So Powerglide decided 12-24yrs. Were they right about the time-frame? Well, it won't hurt to let it mature more than it needs to be on the safe side anyway and I say, they got the time-frame right because those old cues play wonderfully. And because the wood wasn't killed in a kiln, it will carry on maturing.

An air dried cue improves feel. Whether that improves your game Guernsey, only you can tell. For me, yes, above a JPU. Maybe not for others, there's only one way to find out.

* Some people may not like an air-dried feel, who knows, though I've never met anyone who doesn't like it. Each to their own. Whatever makes folk play well and happy is all good. Peace and love to all.

Example as to why this is a moronic thread ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

• haha, what a plank.

Air dried that is.

Comment

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                haha, what a plank.

Air dried that is.

just stop biting to the doorstop trev!

Comment

• Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                  just stop biting to the doorstop trev!

Yes, I think a month out will be wise.

Comment

Yes, I think a month out will be wise.
                    aye, if you have nowt to do you could always get some practice in and experiment between the different dried woods, send them me and will let you know how they go on!

Comment

• Bog wood v. Air dried ash

The dream team - Andy C and a TW cue..........heaven.
                      #jeSuisByrom

Comment

• Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
                        Will an air dried ash cue improve your game?
                        Well, this is a long thread, but I think you asked a very good question.
                        I had a craftsman cue (many years ago). made for me on order with spcs I wanted!! was one of the best cues that I have ever played with !!! I called the craftmn to say thanks!! what they said, we are pleased that your cue suits ur game and btw, your cue was made of an ash that naturally is dried !!
                        to be honest , I didn't know what they meant by this !!
                        After 6 months I called them and asked to place my order for a new cue.
                        was for my uncle (he is a collector).
                        I asked them : would you please use the same kind of ash!!
                        They said to me: we can make the cue with this spcs, but, probably not the same playability!! CUS, there are no two cues with the same playblty and the same character, no matter how the wood is dried. in a natural way or not!! each wood has its own character and playability!! but in case the wood is a good player and is dried in a natural way , that would be a bonus !!
                        to be honest, i think the cue can improve ur game as long as he suits ur game !! no matter how the wood is dried !!
                        of crs,,, this is just my opinion !!

Comment

haha, what a plank.

Air dried that is.
                          trev those 8 replica cues i have been waiting 6 years for you to make for me.. can i get them in air dried ash
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                            I had a craftsman cue (many years ago). made for me on order with spcs I wanted!! was one of the best cues that I have ever played with !!! I called the craftmn to say thanks!! what they said, we are pleased that your cue suits ur game and btw, your cue was made of an ash that naturally is dried !!
                            They said to me: we can make the cue with this spcs, but, probably not the same playability!! CUS, there are no two cues with the same playblty and the same character, no matter how the wood is dried. in a natural way or not!! each wood has its own character and playability!! but in case the wood is a good player and is dried in a natural way , that would be a bonus !!
                            to be honest, i think the cue can improve ur game as long as he suits ur game !! no matter how the wood is dried !!
                            OMG, what happened to the cue, you still got it? CC made you an air dried cue? You were so lucky!

Glad someone else understands why air dried is so playable. Thread is getting a bit long at nearly 5000 views but I guess it's the fascination that folk have with bog wood and air dried.

Ok, back to the topic, does anyone have a bog wood cue from Aurora?
                            Last edited by Master Blaster; 11 June 2015, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• I am getting confused with Aurora

Are they still taking orders /taking cues ??

Is Richard .....Airin ????

Last i heard was that they didn't complete orders for cues .

We need Sherlock Holmes on this one !
                              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                                I was joking Ramon and trying to make the same point as you have albeit shorter!

I was hoping for some solid evidence that someone's game improved from just switching to an air dried ash cue and not from extra practice. Ridiculous of course, so I will stick to making big breaks with my clunky Thai cue!

Comment

Working...
                                X