Bog wood v. Air dried ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
    Surely JP can't have enough for every cue he makes ?

He must have a warehouse the size of a giant supermarket to store it all !

Basically , what i am saying .....is there must be a point when he runs out of this timber with the amount of cues that he makes .

im sure i read a while ago he buys it but doesnt have it stored on site, he gets it sent in smaller portions of his stock every so often but does buy a LOT in bulk, which begs the question why does he take so long to make a bloody cue?

Comment

• Originally Posted by strobbekoen View Post
      The only reason one would keep old wood is because it would be hard to source the same easily or the quality of new growth is different I suppose. Can't see wood "maturing" by just leaving it in the same place for 20 years. Unless someone can show me scientific evidence. I think when cue makers refer to "mature" ash, it's the tree itself that is old growth, not the wood being stashed away for decades.
      Of course it will continue to change over time, it's a natural fibre. Do you think it just gets to 5yrs old and says yeah, that's it I'm done, the alarm has just gone off? Have a look at the timbers in your loft, are they the same as the day they were put in? Silly question I suppose, you've probably got fast growth kiln 'pine' in your loft up there in scandie (and here).
      Last edited by Master Blaster; 11 June 2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
        im sure i read a while ago he buys it but doesnt have it stored on site, he gets it sent in smaller portions of his stock every so often but does buy a LOT in bulk, which begs the question why does he take so long to make a bloody cue?
        Exactly, wood stores dotted around. He takes a long time because they plane it and rest it in three stages. This stops the wood warping. As you plane a piece of wood you open it up and it destresses. Yes, internal stresses are within in the wood, even in angel wood up to 50yrs dry. If you cut it in one go you risk warping, so they don't. Then there's the queue which adds more time given demand is huge. So if JP says three years, that's 3/4 of a year for the cue and 2 1/4 years in the queue.

If a cue maker can get you a cue in 1-3mths, it either ain't been planed in stages, it's been made by someone else to whatever standards or the shaft has been made properly in stages by the cue maker for 'anyone' a while ago and is sitting for the a customer when it's ready.

But if you want a JPU with specified number of chevrons, character etc, it takes time because JP will have to select a particular board and billet for you.

Comment

• So if that is the case and he is still buying it regularly , he can't be using 50 year old timber then .
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
            So if that is the case and he is still buying it regularly , he can't be using 50 year old timber then .
            yeah, them stocks must be dwindling given the ramp up in JPU output and JP output generally. That's partly why I doubt the wood being the same in the pro JPU v. JPU. I dunno mate, if he lays more boards down each year as he becomes more popular, he may have kept up stocks. I mean, he started quite a while ago, so he may have laid down timber 30+ years ago and continued to do it each year? I've also been told that he has whole logs of the stuff maturing as well, uncut.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
              Of course it will continue to change over time, it's a natural fibre. Do you think it just gets to 5yrs old and says yeah, that's it I'm done, the alarm has just gone off? Have a look at the timbers in your loft, are they the same as the day they were put in? Silly question I suppose, you've probably got fast growth kiln 'pine' in your loft up there in scandie (and here).
              Whatever dear
              You probably don't know the scientific evidence of what the changes in wood would be by just having it stored another few decades after it has been properly dried for a few years.

Comment

• Originally Posted by strobbekoen View Post
                Whatever dear
                You probably don't know the scientific evidence of what the changes in wood would be by just having it stored another few decades after it has been properly dried for a few years.
                I don't need lab rats mate, I've got a 17 century house full of old oak, tons and tons of it. It has changed. Let me have a look at that rafter, hang on.............................................Yep , it's changed.

They didn't have kilns then dear. You've got a house made with bits of what you say?

Comment

I don't need lab rats mate, I've got a 17 century house full of old oak, tons and tons of it. It has changed. Let me have a look at that rafter, hang on.............................................Yep , it's changed.
                  How long have you lived in this house ?

The house is between 315 and 414 years old. Your saying the oak has changed in a way that you notice in just the time you've lived in it ?

Pray, tell me more about this perennial plant metamorphosis.

Comment

• I think this forum needs a new sub-forum, "arguments about wood drying" would be a good name, such an interesting topic.

Comment

• Just next to the paint drying one ?

Comment

• Would that be air dried paint or kiln dried paint?

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                          How long have you lived in this house ?

The house is between 315 and 414 years old. Your saying the oak has changed in a way that you notice in just the time you've lived in it ?

Pray, tell me more about this perennial plant metamorphosis.
                          oak is used a lot in wood pulping to make cardboard boxes...

and oak will react differently than ash, its fibres are not straight and uniform in the wood, th ones in ash are so its possible to tell if a peice will warp further.... oak, you aint got a chance.

Comment

• Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
                            I was joking Ramon and trying to make the same point as you have albeit shorter!

I was hoping for some solid evidence that someone's game improved from just switching to an air dried ash cue and not from extra practice. Ridiculous of course, so I will stick to making big breaks with my clunky Thai cue!
                            Sorry about that, i did'nt know that !!
                            As for thai cue,, imo , they re great players . nothing wrong with it !! i know many players run a ton with thai cues !!
                            as u said, it's all practice !! ur arm is the one who plays the game , NOT THE CUE !!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                              Sorry about that, i did'nt know that !!
                              As for thai cue,, imo , they re great players . nothing wrong with it !! i know many players run a ton with thai cues !!
                              as u said, it's all practice !! ur arm is the one who plays the game , NOT THE CUE !!
                              Very true. I once witnessed a young player from Northern Ireland - who later turned pro for a bit - knock in a century with a graphite cue!

Comment

OMG, what happened to the cue, you still got it? CC made you an air dried cue? You were so lucky!

Glad someone else understands why air dried is so playable. Thread is getting a bit long at nearly 5000 views but I guess it's the fascination that folk have with bog wood and air dried.

Ok, back to the topic, does anyone have a bog wood cue from Aurora?
                                it was indeed one of the best cues i have ever had !! He broke off into two pieces (by a stupid mistake).
                                as for the cue > > according to CC, the cue played very well because of the character of the wood. or crs, in this case, he was dried in a natural way. which was a bonus (as I already mentioned )
                                I'm no expt, but I don't think you can change the character of the wood by the way you gonna drie it !!
                                I also can see, u love the air dried wood. well, nothing wrong with that. In that case, i would say stick with it . if u think ur game gonna improve this way !! why not !!

Comment

Working...
                                X