No announcement yet.

Bog wood v. Air dried ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work in the guitar world and cue building as a hobby.

Comment

Originally Posted by JimB View Post
      Ah, you make guitars?

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
        Ah, you make guitars?
        I used to but not anymore, I'm more involved in the day to day running side of the business, sourcing wood and parts, doing trade shows etc all the boring behind the scene stuff that goes on ... that's why I enjoy building cues as a hobby, it allows me to work with wood but not feel like a bus-man's holiday if you know what I mean, as much as I love the acoustic guitar world, after 20 years it's nice to do something different.

Comment

Amazingly Jim, that's exactly what Aurora Cues are getting at in their blurb, here it is:

http://www.auroracues.com/about.php

They say the maple is denser, having been recovered by Timeless Timber of Ashland, Wisconsin. If it's denser, I guess it will be harder to plane?

bigandyg and mav: c'mon guys, this is a serious and important discussion. Focus and relax.....
          I did post this last yr , sumwhere on this forum.
          is a bit info about maple and ash. u may wanna read it !!
          As you see,, maple is denser comper to ash ( so Arurora is right about that ).
          of crs,,, does'nt make much diff in the term of plyblty , imo.

Species Modulus of Elasticity (MPa)
          Maple 12,600
          Ash 12,000
          Specific Gravity
          Maple .63 ( Laminated Mapel 68 ) Ash .60
          Compressive strength parallel to the grain (KPa)
          Maple 35,700
          Ash 30,900

Modulus of Elasticity, is an engineering term that basically tells you how stiff a material is (specifically, it is the ratio of stress per unit strain fyi).
          So basically, Maple is a bit stiffer than Ash (but not much).
          Specific gravity denotes the density of a material relative to water (which is 1.0 fyi). So Maple is a bit denser than Ash (but not much). ( LM mapel is much denser )The compressive strength parallel to the grain can give you an idea of the dent or ding resistance of a material. Again, Maple is a bit better in this regard.
          Actually, the two woods are quite similar in most of the "important" ways, with respect to mechanical properties.
          Last edited by Ramon; 5 June 2015, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by JimB View Post
            Jim makes a very good playing cue and is a gem of a guy to deal with. I know because he made one for me.
            The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

You've had Aurora cues Terry, was any of them a bog standard cue?
              I only had one (out of about 8 of them) that I really liked. I just couldn't get 'Airin'? to make a medium flex shaft, they all came to me with stiff shafts except the one. All of mine were ash and I very much doubt it sat at the bottom of a lake for a couple hundred years and if Aurora is claiming that then I would surely take it with a big grain of salt!
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                I only had one (out of about 8 of them) that I really liked. I just couldn't get 'Airin'? to make a medium flex shaft, they all came to me with stiff shafts except the one. All of mine were ash and I very much doubt it sat at the bottom of a lake for a couple hundred years and if Aurora is claiming that then I would surely take it with a big grain of salt!
                No, they use kiln ash for your cues. They use bog wood for their maple cues. So you never got a maple off them mate?

Comment

No, they use kiln ash for your cues. They use bog wood for their maple cues. So you never got a maple off them mate?
                  I believe one of them was maple but it was still way too stiff and I sold it on
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                    I believe one of them was maple but it was still way too stiff and I sold it on
                    Interesting, bog maple is meant to be denser than regular maple. Stiff relies on taper as well but extra density ain't gonna help me thinks?

Comment

MB is the single most retarded individual I have ever had the misfortune to see on here.

His posts simply dilute the forum - they're invariably wrong, clueless, provocative and generally pointless. He must be one very lonely individual where the only avenue for his latent attention seeking is talking about John Parris, how wood is dried or knocking one out over a guy on here who he thinks is a great cue maker (he is not) and an amazing player (no one has ever seen him play).

He even copies the way people 'speak' in replies to their posts. 'nuff said.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the 24ft screwback video HE said he'd post.....
                      #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Bog wood v. Air dried ash

Stop sitting on the fence BC!
                        #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                          MB is the single most retarded individual I have ever had the misfortune to see on here.

His posts simply dilute the forum - they're invariably wrong, clueless, provocative and generally pointless. He must be one very lonely individual where the only avenue for his latent attention seeking is talking about John Parris, how wood is dried or knocking one out over a guy on here who he thinks is a great cue maker (he is not) and an amazing player (no one has ever seen him play).

I think he's now carrying around 4 usernames at the moment and I would bet my last quid on it he's been a regular poster on this forum for a few year now and his original username has mixed reviews from other posters.

Comment

So you're warming to him then?
                            Last edited by Maverick54; 6 June 2015, 07:37 AM.
                            "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

I have a feeling that much of what he writes (in the cue section anyway as that's pretty much all I occasionally look at) is done with deliberate intent to cause discussion and argument. I'm not convinced he actually believes the stuff he writes but would suggest he enjoys rattling the cages of those who are likely to respond, simply to entertain himself. To be fair, it can be entertaininig if it's taken in that vain, and I've found myself actually laughing out loud at some of the stuff he's written.

Of course I might be wrong on all that and he (maybe she.?) could be deadly serious about all that's been written.

In which case, he / she is about as wrong as you can get on far more stuff than I have the time or inclination to get involved in right now.

Edit to add..... got to love B.C's post though. Haha.
                              Last edited by trevs1; 6 June 2015, 07:40 AM.

Comment

No time Trevor.........i reckon you are busy getting your scuba diving gear on to hunt out some great timber whilst bog snorkeling
                                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Working...
                                X