Bog wood v. Air dried ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
    I'm confused here about whose opinion is more valid. Two great cuemakers who work with wood every single day or a nerd who seems to spend every single day on an internet forum. It's a tough one.....
    It's amazing that two cue makers can disagree so much but they do and they do on here as well, and there is plenty of it in the threads. And Aurura would disagree with much that has been said here by cue makers, so that's three cue makers disagreeing with each other. I'm more towards the Aurora skool if there is one.

Comment

• Originally Posted by strobbekoen View Post
      It still baffles me how one could tell the difference in the end product by how the wood was dried. There are so many other primary variables at play which make a cue play a certain way or a guitar sound a certain way. I have many cues, and guitars - some i built myself and I really don't have a clue to be honest
      Soft hands, it's all in the hands. And the ears, different woods have different timbre, you should know that. Different cues vibrate differently, Parris says as much. Why tap boards to hear differences before purchasing this board or that board if they are all the same? Why not just buy a bunch of boards and have them delivered? Why drive around and inspect boards? I'm sure he has other things to do, but apparently, it makes a difference!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
        Hehehehehe, thought you'd like that one Leo. But it is true, try both methods! lol. NO, seriously.

Neil, JP gets the best timber he can but it still ain't the equal of my air-dried and I have both cues sitting here to know.

1. Air-dried
        2. Angel Ash
        3. Kiln

I believe there to be an inconsistency between pro JPU and JPU. And an inconsistency between the rest of the range. But hey, you know a lot about which cue makers are using which timber, where the shafts came from to be in the UK so for my benefit, are you gonna tell us?
        What are you implying that i know ???

Cue makers that use ready made cues from the Far East ?
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
          What are you implying that i know ???

Cue makers that use ready made cues from the Far East ?
          A wise man to listen to this fella.

Comment

• Going off at a slight tangent, I emailed these people, and asked for a wee offcut from their oak,

but never got a reply .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-19722595

Comment

• Interesting process ( shock horror, kiln dried )

Comment

It's amazing that two cue makers can disagree so much but they do and they do on here as well, and there is plenty of it in the threads. And Aurura would disagree with much that has been said here by cue makers, so that's three cue makers disagreeing with each other. I'm more towards the Aurora skool if there is one.
                I'm posting way more in this thread than I intended, but, just for the sake of clarity MB, I'm finding it difficult to decern whether your posts are genuine, a joke or just plain trolling ... could you clear this up for me please?

When you make a reply like the quoted post, I'd like to know which two cue makers are you implying are in disagreement?

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
                  I'm confused here about whose opinion is more valid. Two great cuemakers who work with wood every single day or a nerd who seems to spend every single day on an internet forum. It's a tough one.....
                  With all due respect mate I wouldn't trust Aurora, many on here haven't forgotten Airin's Jesus-like resurrection.
                  #jeSuisByrom

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimB View Post
                    I'm posting way more in this thread than I intended, but, just for the sake of clarity MB, I'm finding it difficult to decern whether your posts are genuine, a joke or just plain trolling ... could you clear this up for me please?

When you make a reply like the quoted post, I'd like to know which two cue makers are you implying are in disagreement?
                    Your post is serious, you're kidding right? You've been on here for four years and no two cue makers have ever disagreed? There are cue makers who have sworn that laminated tips are no good, single layer every time. Lo and behold, they make laminated tips. Then if you look back there's the disagreement on ferrules as well. Shall I go on? They can't agree on basic stuff and they then tell the rest of us we don't know anything. If they could show consistency amongst themselves, maybe their superior knowledge and attitude might be believable? I know a cue maker who swears blind joints are awful and then we have the bear who is very proud of his joints and loves them. Shall I go on, do you want me to trawl all of TSF and show you how much cue makers disagree? Listen to Aurora and it's bog wood all the way, other cue makers on here have poo pooed it. I know another cue maker (not a tsf member) who swears by air-dried (not fair to mention his name) but that would be in complete contrast to other cue makers wouldn't it? Endless disagreements. So when I hear a cue maker say he knows more about wood and cues and is simply right, I just laugh.
                    Last edited by Master Blaster; 10 June 2015, 03:16 PM.

Comment

With all due respect mate I wouldn't trust Aurora, many on here haven't forgotten Airin's Jesus-like resurrection.
                      lol, yes, that chestnut. But they make damn fine cues, just look at the near mirror finish. You gotta love that Fred, surely?

Comment

• Bog wood v. Air dried ash

No probs with their cues, they're very nice but one has to question their ethics.
                        #jeSuisByrom

Comment

No probs with their cues, they're very nice but one has to question their ethics.
                          Like all cue makers, they're there primarily to make money. Money is a dirty game. What do you think about the ethics of British cue makers using Thai shafts and even some simply oiling a ready made Thai cue, badge and all and selling it as UK made? The more I hear and read, the more suspicious I become. They're dreadful things, skepticism and cynicism but not entirely unjustified. Now there are many genuine, decent cue makers/biz in this country, Cue Craft and Parris for example, so it's not all bad. But you wont' hear them say we know everything about cues and wood and you know nothing.

Comment

• Bog wood v. Air dried ash

oh come on cue craft ffs

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                              oh come on cue craft ffs
                              They're ok, the custom's are still made here, the higher end stuff is. The lower end stuff they don't say much about so we can assume that's Thai or Chinese but they ain't hiding Thai cues in containers are they? I think their custom cues to be very good. Judd Trump used one of their cues to great effect if I'm not wrong?

Comment

Your post is serious, you're kidding right? You've been on here for four years and no two cue makers have ever disagreed? There are cue makers who have sworn that laminated tips are no good, single layer every time. Lo and behold, they make laminated tips. Then if you look back there's the disagreement on ferrules as well. Shall I go on? They can't agree on basic stuff and they then tell the rest of us we don't know anything. If they could show consistency amongst themselves, maybe their superior knowledge and attitude might be believable? I know a cue maker who swears blind joints are awful and then we have the bear who is very proud of his joints and loves them. Shall I go on, do you want me to trawl all of TSF and show you how much cue makers disagree? Listen to Aurora and it's bog wood all the way, other cue makers on here have poo pooed it. I know another cue maker (not a tsf member) who swears by air-dried (not fair to mention his name) but that would be in complete contrast to other cue makers wouldn't it? Endless disagreements. So when I hear a cue maker say he knows more about wood and cues and is simply right, I just laugh.
                                lol ... yea mate, my post was serious because your post confused me, when you say two makers disagree in a thread talking about air-dried and kiln-dried and then bring in Aurora as a third maker I thought you were referring to this thread only ... now I see you're talking in general about everyone disagreeing with everything across the entire spectrum of cue-building ... well that's a different story.

Maybe sticking to one topic in the one thread might reduce the confusion ... just a thought

Comment

Working...
                                X