Bog wood v. Air dried ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
    Are you ready to start on a white ash cue yet? White, white ash cue I mean. You could have already made one in all this tea and biscuits time on here.

You will need to teach me again here MB. What exactly is "white ash"

Comment

It's amazing that two cue makers can disagree so much but they do and they do on here as well, and there is plenty of it in the threads. And Aurura would disagree with much that has been said here by cue makers, so that's three cue makers disagreeing with each other. I'm more towards the Aurora skool if there is one.

Airin, or whoever it was that used to post here, used to PM me left right and centre some years back with questions about cues, timber, finishes and all sorts. He was doing this long before Aurora were even set up with any kind of website at all. A fair degree of what I used to read in posts here from them / him / whoever was often a kind of regurgitated mixture of stuff he'd heard from myself, or no doubt, numerous other people with more experience than he / they / whoever had at the time.

Did you know this.?

Comment

Like all cue makers, they're there primarily to make money. Money is a dirty game. What do you think about the ethics of British cue makers using Thai shafts and even some simply oiling a ready made Thai cue, badge and all and selling it as UK made? The more I hear and read, the more suspicious I become. They're dreadful things, skepticism and cynicism but not entirely unjustified. Now there are many genuine, decent cue makers/biz in this country, Cue Craft and Parris for example, so it's not all bad. But you wont' hear them say we know everything about cues and wood and you know nothing.

But who of the cue makers here or anywhere else says you know nothing.?

Comment

Your post is serious, you're kidding right? You've been on here for four years and no two cue makers have ever disagreed? There are cue makers who have sworn that laminated tips are no good, single layer every time. Lo and behold, they make laminated tips. Then if you look back there's the disagreement on ferrules as well. Shall I go on? They can't agree on basic stuff and they then tell the rest of us we don't know anything. If they could show consistency amongst themselves, maybe their superior knowledge and attitude might be believable? I know a cue maker who swears blind joints are awful and then we have the bear who is very proud of his joints and loves them. Shall I go on, do you want me to trawl all of TSF and show you how much cue makers disagree? Listen to Aurora and it's bog wood all the way, other cue makers on here have poo pooed it. I know another cue maker (not a tsf member) who swears by air-dried (not fair to mention his name) but that would be in complete contrast to other cue makers wouldn't it? Endless disagreements. So when I hear a cue maker say he knows more about wood and cues and is simply right, I just laugh.

Name the names, go on, do it.

I will be absolutely delighted to fully engage on the above, whether that be here, by PM, phone, in person.

I am now, have been and will be consistent in my views about all the above points mentioned.

Comment

• For anyone actually wanting to know about drying processes, I suggest you read something like this here....

http://www.chilternsaonb.org/uploads..._of_Timber.pdf

This is a better place to make a start than Wikipedia, honestly, it is. These people have actually studied this crap, and are not just researching it and then re-tweeting it on Wikipedia verbatim.

I flatly refuse to give my perspective on it, because it's not worth the effort, and only serves to validate what is essentially a moronic thread.

Anyone else wanting to discuss bog wood or whatever, crack right on.

Comment

• powerglide white ash! when they started making their reborn bats in the 80s their splicing was somewhat suspect so they had to paint the butts then lacquer them. at that time when you sanded the butt the ebony was sanded into the ash and gave the ash some detail with the help of oil.this of course would prevent the paint and lacquer from adhering to the cue so they lacquered them first hence no colouring to the ash .it was and still is north American white ash,yellow was I believe European.their cues were nothing special though their connie was quite attractive,their splices were quite stubby when long splices were the norm,it was the same time when the burwatt champion made its last appearance with the long badge also in north American ash.

Comment

• Interesting link Trevor, so air dried timber up to 3" thick should reach equilibrium in 3 years ?

Where then does the MB number of years come from ?

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                And it does take time and respect for timber, around 12-24 years is ideal, as Powerglide used to.
                Last edited by billabong; 10 June 2015, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                  For anyone actually wanting to know about drying processes, I suggest you read something like this here....

http://www.chilternsaonb.org/uploads..._of_Timber.pdf

This is a better place to make a start than Wikipedia, honestly, it is. These people have actually studied this crap, and are not just researching it and then re-tweeting it on Wikipedia verbatim.

I flatly refuse to give my perspective on it, because it's not worth the effort, and only serves to validate what is essentially a moronic thread.

Anyone else wanting to discuss bog wood or whatever, crack right on.
                  Not a bad read but I've already read a ton of stuff from the US where the air-dry industry is much bigger and wiser.

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                    Interesting, so air dried timber up to 3" thick should reach equilibrium in 3 years ?

Where then does the MB number of years come from ?

12-24yrs for complete destress and also to aid maturity of the wood. Wood improves with age. Equilibrium simply means that the moistures are balanced inside and stable. Now if you have a whole board, it takes a wee bit longer than 3yrs to even get to equilibrium.

For Golf; Powerglide filled their ash the same as every other cue maker did and still does. I know the cue is right in front of me. Yep, that's filler! (or grain enhancer in the posh lingo).

Comment

Your post is serious, you're kidding right? You've been on here for four years and no two cue makers have ever disagreed? There are cue makers who have sworn that laminated tips are no good, single layer every time. Lo and behold, they make laminated tips. Then if you look back there's the disagreement on ferrules as well. Shall I go on? They can't agree on basic stuff and they then tell the rest of us we don't know anything. If they could show consistency amongst themselves, maybe their superior knowledge and attitude might be believable? I know a cue maker who swears blind joints are awful and then we have the bear who is very proud of his joints and loves them. Shall I go on, do you want me to trawl all of TSF and show you how much cue makers disagree? Listen to Aurora and it's bog wood all the way, other cue makers on here have poo pooed it. I know another cue maker (not a tsf member) who swears by air-dried (not fair to mention his name) but that would be in complete contrast to other cue makers wouldn't it? Endless disagreements. So when I hear a cue maker say he knows more about wood and cues and is simply right, I just laugh.
                      we made a cue for a world championship finalist,I would not have played with it! I put a tip on a worlds winner it took a week of trial and error and I played with him non stop until he had a tip he liked! it was out of my( b) box = so so.we took several burwatts to alex when he was based in Mansfield he took the worst of the bunch and never missed all night! never paid for it though! the point is there is no final solution or answer and swamp wood or bog wood or whatever you call it is nothing new or special.I respect your beliefs but I disagree so do others as do others who agree with you.one final thing mb you need to respect the views of those that actually make the damn things,to that end get your hands dirty and make some its not that hard. ps don't take it as personal it aint

Comment

• If folk really want to know about why air-dried is superior, have a read here; the information is succinct and the argument very strong:

http://www.stonesriverhardwoods.com/air-dried-wood

After all, these are experts.

Comment

If folk really want to know about why air-dried is superior, have a read here; the information is succinct and the argument very strong:

After all, these are experts.

Ah yes, we should ignore those who research it thoroughly for the good of the trade and education, but we need to believe all that's told to us by those who stand to profit from it.

Well done fella.

Troll on.

Comment

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                            Ah yes, we should ignore those who research it thoroughly for the good of the trade and education, but we need to believe all that's told to us by those who stand to profit from it.

Well done fella.

Troll on.
                            I find them a lot more convincing than you. Sorry to disappoint you. Anyway, isn't this a 'moronic thread' as you put it (nice classy insult by the way), so why are you posting again after saying you wouldn't? Notice how they don't call kiln advocates moronic? That's another reason to have more faith.

Read on people, these guys know what they're talking about.

Comment

12-24yrs for complete destress and also to aid maturity of the wood. Wood improves with age. Equilibrium simply means that the moistures are balanced inside and stable. Now if you have a whole board, it takes a wee bit longer than 3yrs to even get to equilibrium.

For Golf; Powerglide filled their ash the same as every other cue maker did and still does. I know the cue is right in front of me. Yep, that's filler! (or grain enhancer in the posh lingo).
                              nope its sealer

Comment

I find them a lot more convincing than you. Sorry to disappoint you. Anyway, isn't this a 'moronic thread' as you put it (nice classy insult by the way), so why are you posting again after saying you wouldn't? Notice how they don't call kiln advocates moronic? That's another reason to have more faith.

Read on people, these guys know what they're talking about.

bumpppppp>

Comment

Working...
                                X