Bog wood v. Air dried ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
    Well, there is also fan dried at air temp which works well and faster. If you dry a piece of timber in ideal kiln conditions (no steam IMO) and one in ideal air conditions, the latter is always better. But that's how I feel about the timber and working with it and it's characteristics. I simply believe that the structure of the wood changes in a kiln and it's not as good to play with. Heating things changes them, even metals, so heating wood is gonna change it big time. This is a proven. I believe those changes aren't good. Air drying also changes the wood, I believe those changes beneficial.
    I prefer to cook my baked beans on the hob ........the Mrs does them in the microwave.

But they turn out the same way

Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
      Oh dear, I despair really I do.
      Don't go anywhere near the Severn Bridge Trevor

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
        I prefer to cook my baked beans on the hob ........the Mrs does them in the microwave.

But they turn out the same way

:biggrin-new:

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
          Don't go anywhere near the Severn Bridge Trevor
          No they don't. The beans and sauce go thick and dry at the edges from the micro. A stove heats the beans, a micro heats the water in the beans, a bit like steam kiln drying.............................They don't taste the same either.

Comment

Are you ready to start on a white ash cue yet? White, white ash cue I mean. You could have already made one in all this tea and biscuits time on here.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
              No they don't. The beans and sauce go thick and dry at the edges from the micro. A stove heats the beans, a micro heats the water in the beans, a bit like steam kiln drying.............................They don't taste the same either.
              I've got tears coming down my eyes

Comment

I hear ya buddy ... I was a couple of paragraphs into a response to one of the above posts, I'd typed up information on some practical observations we've made of air-dried and kiln-dried wood from over 25 years of importing from just about everywhere on the planet for musical instruments where the tolerances are much more critical than for cues ... but I gave up and deleted it all, poured myself a cup of tea.

It's not worth the effort!

Comment

Originally Posted by JimB View Post
                  I hear ya buddy ... I was a couple of paragraphs into a response to one of the above posts, I'd typed up information on some practical observations we've made of air-dried and kiln-dried wood from over 25 years of importing from just about everywhere on the planet for musical instruments where the tolerances are much more critical than for cues ... but I gave up and deleted it all, poured myself a cup of tea.

It's not worth the effort!
                  oops.. sorry about that
                  Last edited by strobbekoen; 10 June 2015, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I reckon you could start a fight in a phone box MB.

Great reply .

You couldn't tell the difference in a blindfold test i reckon .

Much the same as i really don't believe anyone could tell the difference between a Kiln dried or air dried cue .

Just for my benefit , are you saying that every cue JP makes is from Air Dried timber ?

Comment

• A MB vortex - could be trouble

Comment

• Originally Posted by strobbekoen View Post
                        oops.. sorry about that
                        Nothing wrong with your post mate

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                          I reckon you could start a fight in a phone box MB.

Great reply .

You couldn't tell the difference in a blindfold test i reckon .

Much the same as i really don't believe anyone could tell the difference between a Kiln dried or air dried cue .

Just for my benefit , are you saying that every cue JP makes is from Air Dried timber ?
                          Hehehehehe, thought you'd like that one Leo. But it is true, try both methods! lol. NO, seriously.

Neil, JP gets the best timber he can but it still ain't the equal of my air-dried and I have both cues sitting here to know.

1. Air-dried
                          2. Angel Ash
                          3. Kiln

I believe there to be an inconsistency between pro JPU and JPU. And an inconsistency between the rest of the range. But hey, you know a lot about which cue makers are using which timber, where the shafts came from to be in the UK so for my benefit, are you gonna tell us?

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                            In a homer simpson kind of way
                            Damn, I've been rumbled. Great writer that Homer, so they say. Not sure if he really wrote the Ilyad though, I've been told it was a Thai bloke and the text was shipped into Greece under some lemon grass barrels...

Comment

• It still baffles me how one could tell the difference in the end product by how the wood was dried. There are so many other primary variables at play which make a cue play a certain way or a guitar sound a certain way. I have many cues, and guitars - some i built myself and I really don't have a clue to be honest

Comment

• Bog wood v. Air dried ash

I'm confused here about whose opinion is more valid. Two great cuemakers who work with wood every single day or a nerd who seems to spend every single day on an internet forum. It's a tough one.....
                                #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Working...
                                X